Logic Pro 9 How can I toggle between Tools in Logic 9? Please help!

sohosteve

Logician
I've been using Logic almost every day professionally for over 10 years now but this one has me (and a pal who's been using it professionally for several years longer than I) totally stumped.
Before Apple totally over-hauled the user interface it used to be easy to toggle between tools.
For instance, so, that if you hit the hot key you've assigned a tool to, if you hit the exact same key again, it toggles straight back to the last tool you were using.
Which was extremely useful when chopping and moving several regions in quick succession as you could quickly jump from cursor to scissors and back to cursor again by pressing the same hot key.
We have searched high and low and just cannot find where this function is now hidden.
Or has it just been dispensed with altogether?

Are you using a two-button mouse? If so, open Logic's main menu preferences, click on the "general" tab, then on the "editing" tab. You can select different functions for your right mouse button, including "is assignable to a tool."

Upvote 0
Thanks so far.... :)

Thanks Juan and Mark for your input.
I'm an old Mac freak and consequently still using a ONE button mouse. Yeah I know, stop laughing...
The link (from Mark) was fairly informative but nothing I wasn't already aware of.
There used to be an option, I think in the key commands section, where you could not only assign something to a key but choose to make it toggle. In the case of tools it would toggle back to the last used tool. This was extremely helpful and when editing a high speed, would considerably increase work flow...
I strongly suspect someone has decided this function is no longer required... :brkwl:

Upvote 0
Steve, I tend to make use of the Esc + number Key Commands. If I need the pencil Tool, I hit Esc + 2, scissors Esc + 5, Glue Esc + 6 etc. Going back to the pointer is pretty intuitive with Esc + 1. Of course, this requires memorizing a few new KCs, but, let's face it, as new KCs become available with just about every new logic version, it has over the years become a part of working with and getting the best out of the program.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,
Thanks for that.
Actually I already have all my tools assigned to numbers 1-9.
What I specifically am asking about is the TOGGLE function.
This would allow you to quickly switch back and forth between any two tools by pressing one key.
This changed depended on which two tools you were using.
For instance, calling up the scissors by pressing 5, I could switch straight back to the cursor by pressing 5 again, then the scissors again by pressing it again.
If I then went to the eraser tool from the scissors, I could toggle between the scissors and eraser just by pressing the same key again and again.
This meant that I could just hold my left hand finger over one key to keep swapping between two tools while I utilised those tools with the mouse.
Consequently I didn't have to keep looking at the keyboard to see where each numbered tool fell to switch between them!
As I say, I suspect it's a function that has quietly slipped away.
Though I still have faith that someone out there will prove me wrong.... please! :)
I guess I just need to jump into the 21st Century and buy and multi button mouse.
This 'Mighty' (hahaha!!) mouse is a piece of crap anyway....

Upvote 0
There used to be an option, I think in the key commands section, where you could not only assign something to a key but choose to make it toggle.

In Logic 9.x just do this:
Hit Esc to open the tools options.
Hold Command and click on a tool other than the pointer.
After this, when you hold Command, you'll get the optional tool.
Note that in some cases, the tool won't appear unless it's relevant. For example, if you choose the Mute tool, you won't see it unless you hover over a region in Arrange.

Try it with the pencil....

Upvote 0
Not what you are asking for, but something that works for me...

First, whatever tool you are on you can quickly get back to the pointer tool by hitting the esc. key twice.

This may not help but, I have the tool menu open when I right click then easily select the tool I want, without having to look at the keyboard which helps me.
Good luck- you may be stuck adapting your workflow

Upvote 0
Invest in a 2-button mouse with scrollwheel. I spent $20 seven years ago (when I first started using OSX, which was the first MacOS to support such mice). I'm still using the same mouse.

It completely changed the overall computing experience, and made things way faster. And that's even before the right-click implementation inside Logic itself (that was with Logic 8, four years ago).

It was always a huge mistake that Apple rejected the 2-button mouse for so long. Only the rarest person get utterly confused by it. And it's a sign that they're confused by a whole lot more.

Upvote 0

Jettison the one-button mouse.

You have a plethora of options. In addition to scroll wheels, there are track balls in a myriad of designs. You could stick with Apple and get a "Magic Mouse." Or, if you want to see real time-savings, pop for a Contour Designs Shuttle Pro: It has a ton of buttons that may be programmed however you want.

Attachments

• shuttlePRO_v2.jpg
    shuttlePRO_v2.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 204
Upvote 0

It is indeed the worst mouse I've ever tried even when it's in complete working condition. And the scroll balls on those don't last every long. My ancient $20 2-button mouse with scroll wheel has outlasted at least 3 Mighty Mice lifespans.

I hate that cord always gets caught underneath the Mighty Mouse too.

But I'd rather have a Mighty Mouse than any one-button mouse with no scroll.

Upvote 0
Get a magic mouse, it's really great and you can program it with taps or gestures as you like with a free third party tool like BetterTouchTool: http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/32953/bettertouchtool

I can't stand that thing either. Because my finger always rests on top, it constantly scrolls a bit when I don't want it to. I have to hover my finger above the surface, which is uncomfortable.

I work in a bunch of studios (both engineering and troubleshooting/installation/tutorial), so I get to use a lot of mice type devices. I try to force myself to use a variety of things so I can at least be passable at operating it. Years ago I used to bring my own mouse+pad to every session. Then the odd time when I'd forget, I'd have to use something I was a total dork with... sometimes idiotically inept actually (like with trackpad or stylus pad). So over the years I've forced myself to use them so I'm better. But still... the good old fashioned mouse with scrollwheel is perfect for me.

Upvote 0
Well thank you to you all for your kind responses.
I guess I'm just gonna have to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and get myself a multi button mouse. Oh lawdy lawdy! ;-)
Really like the look of that Contour Designs Shuttle Pro :)
Anyone else had any experience of that?

Upvote 0
Well thank you to you all for your kind responses.
I guess I'm just gonna have to drag myself kicking and screaming into the 21st Century and get myself a multi button mouse. Oh lawdy lawdy! ;-)
Really like the look of that Contour Designs Shuttle Pro :)
Anyone else had any experience of that?

I use one in addition to my trackball, mostly for working in the Score editor.

Upvote 0
Back