Logic Pro (X) How do I move an Aux/Buss strip

M57

Logician
I create buss for a separate headphone mix (using bus 20) -

As I track I create sub mixes so that I can send from them to the headphone mix - but as I create these sub-mixes (by assigning a send to a new buss#, they alway appear to the right of the headphone mix. Short of deleting the headphone buss every time this happens, and recreating it where I want it, is there a way to drag it/move it? I've tried holding Control, Option, Command, Shift, etc.. No matter what I do multiple strips get selected..

You need to assign the aux tracks to the main window. Then you can control where they appear in the mixer by placing them in the order you want in the Tracks area of the main window.

Upvote 0
In other words:
Select the Aux Channelstrips in the Mixer and go to the local Mixer menu:
Options => Create Tracks from Selected Channelstrips
Then, in the Arrange area, you can move the tracks and the Aux channelstrips will follow.

Upvote 0
Thanks guys - A strange way to have to do it don't ya think? I end up having to blow away the 'tracks' in the "arrangement." Should be able to option-drag or something like that.

Upvote 0
You can of course make use of the audio layer in the environment, where you can place individual objects pretty much any way you want. But I believe that the ability to arrange the order of tracks in the mixer and main area independently of each other has been expressed by others, so maybe worth writing to Apple about.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
You can of course make use of the audio layer in the environment, where you can place individual objects pretty much any way you want.
Not if you create new tracks because then Logic destroys your beautiful layout. It is possible if you have templates with predefined tracks and auxes and (preferably) a second screen.

A strange way to have to do it don't ya think?
Yesss.
This is a problem for the programmers: Automatic channelstrip handling paired with individual wishes.

If it were possible, I would instantly switch the automatic handling completely off. I think most users know very well which channelstrips they need and where to place them.

Upvote 0
I wouldn't mind the automatic handling if I could simply drag the strip where I want it. Come to think of it, I think I'd actually prefer it in that I'd know exactly where the sub-mix is gonna be placed. Then I could drag it to its happy spot and the headphone buss stays put.

Upvote 0
if I could simply drag the strip where I want it.
Yes but this is the programmer's problem I mentioned above. They want to organize the channelstrips automatically in a way they find useful and understandable. If you could drag your channelstrips to different places, the placement algorithm would break and probably end up with exceptions only. Beside the fact that this can get very complicated, I suspect that the programmers do not like the idea, because they developed along their own imaginations and find the result more or less perfect.

In my opinion a compromise and an acceptable solution for us "pirates" would be the possibility to switch off the automatic sorting in the mixer and allow dragging. This may need another method to link selected tracks to selected channelstrips because the order is no longer the same. Some people would get confused, some would like it. Therefore a preference or a button in the mixer would be ideal.

Upvote 0
Yet strangely enough there's a workaround that involves moving it on the 'arranging' field. I'm not a programmer type, but the workaround has 3 steps:
  1. Add all busses as tracks on the field
  2. Move the buss to taste
  3. Delete all "phantom" busses on the field.
Wouldn't it be a neat trick if Option/Drag simply did all those things opaquely - or not so opaquely.

Upvote 0
In other words:
Select the Aux Channelstrips in the Mixer and go to the local Mixer menu:
Options => Create Tracks from Selected Channelstrips
Then, in the Arrange area, you can move the tracks and the Aux channelstrips will follow.
Hi Peter, Thanks for the info but it's not woking for me.

Upvote 0
Back