Logic Pro 9 how do we apply the ARPEGGIATOR

Go to your clicks and ports layer in the Environment and cable the arpeggiator between the Physical Input and the Sequencer Input. That way the modified (arpeggiated) notes will get recorded into Logic instead of the arpeggiation being playback only.

This will apply to all incoming MIDI, so be careful. You might want to cable up a simple cable switcher as well so that you can easily toggle it on/off with a single mouse click.

Upvote 0
well at least I'm at the ARPEGGIATOR....

...but you lost me on the rest. In GUITAR PRO we can select a chord...and have an ARPEGGIO effect applied automatically and the rate and length can be adjusted as you wish. Is there a similar process in LOGIC? I'm not sure what you're implying after I opened the ENVIRONMENT...I do see the ARPEGGIATOR and the little plug that pulls out...but after that...????? Will the effect be applied simply to MIDI notes that are selected in the PIANO score? Thanks so much for replying.

Upvote 0
Hi Brian,

First of all, let me start by saying that the Environment is the single most complex window in Logic. It's like MAX, or any other "graphic oriented programming environment." You're not simply "turning on a module" you're "wiring" one widget to another, like constructing a small 2D replica of a hardware studio inside Logic.

Think of it like you're physically carrying a 20LB rack mount box called an "arpeggiator" and getting out physical cables and wiring it up to a reel-to-reel tape deck (and if you're not old enough to have ever used one of those, PLEASE don't tell me, I'll feel ancient! :) ). The Environment is a very old aspect of Logic, and it's been around since the days when people actually used large physical devices and recorded on tape, and it still contains the graphical equivalent of it.

If you want to learn more about the environment, I recommend reading the manual, going to Len Sasso's swiftkick.com and downloading his free Environment Toolkit PDF, or buying a book such as Logic Pro 9 Power (which I co-wrote, and wrote the Environment chapter).

Now then: In Logic, you have the option of connecting the arpeggiator object to the entire sequencer (as Eli showed you) or to a single instrument (either MIDI or Software).

If you wish to connect the arpeggiator to a single instrument, what you would do is:
1) Add the software instrument to a software instrument channel
2) In the environment, open the Mixer
3) Under the software instrument channel in the environment Mixer, create an Arpeggiator object
4) Drag the little cable thingy from the arpeggiator object to the software instrument channel with your software instrument. This is the software equivalent of taking your physical arpeggiator box and plugging it into your instrument in your physical studio.

Then you'd click out of the Environment window and back into the Arrange, where you'd need to create an Arrange track and set it to the Arpeggiator object you just created. This will work like the Guitar Pro arpeggiator in the sense that the arpeggiator is a PLAYBACK EFFECT. It doesn't actually alter the recorded notes, it alters what is played back when you hear the instrument. This is good in that if you want to change your original chord, you can, and the arpeggiator will perform as you expect on the new chord.

If you want to adjust the parameters of the Arpeggiator, go into the Environment window, select the arpeggitator object, and you'll see a list of parameters you can adjust. Note that you can also change the name of the object, so instead of "arpeggiator object" you can name it "FM8 groovelator" or whatever you like.

Since the arpeggiator is a MIDI effect, you CAN NOT use it to process audio tracks like a plug-in effect, only MIDI.

As I said, the Environment is certainly not easy to understand and is incredibly deep. I hope I was able to give you some basic help, but I highly recommend reading up on it if it interests you. And it can be fun-I created a "Superarp" which is a lot of fun! (doesn't work in the current version of Logic though, it was created in Logic 4).

Orren

Upvote 0
to notes in piano score? Anyone? Thanks

Hi Brian,

The way you worded this brief original question, I thought you were asking how to get the arpeggiator notes to show up in the MIDI editors (like the score window) rather than just hearing them on playback and not seeing them in the editors. Thus my original answer.

Orren filled in the rest by describing how to use it in it's more basic way where you don't see the notes that are generated by it in the MIDI editors.

I'm not sure what Guitar Pro is, but if you want to arpeggiate in Logic, you need to use the Arpeggiator object in the Environment in one of the two ways described.

Len Sasso's books are great, as I'm sure Orren's is. But, like he siad, the Environment is not the first place you'd likely want to dip your toes into the water if you are just starting out with Logic :D

Upvote 0
hi there, butting in on this arpeggiator thing. Logic 9 comes with very handy preset 'setup environments' that you can choose from. I have chosen the electronic setting here and it puts a little coloured box here on the arrange page that suggests an arpeggiator is already set up ? does anyone know about this? When I go into the environment window it is clear that indeed something has been wired up to an arpeggiator ( if i am reading it right?) but I can't see what channel it is set up to? i have gone through al the channels and nothing?

I would love to get this arpeggiator thing going , tried the above instruction too but when it comes to dragging the cable thingy from arpeggiator to the track I want to effect its not clear where that track is in the environment?

Just a novice at this too so appreciate any guidance fellas.

thanks

Upvote 0
Back