Logic Pro 9 How to apply effect to one part of a track??

Hi guys, I'm new here and am in need of some help...
I would like to know how to apply an effect to just one segment of a track; not the whole track. And is it possible to apply different effects to different parts of the track?
Would very much appreciate any input!

You can also bounce in place: create your FX, select the region you want to treat, and right click, select "bounce in place" you can bounce to the same track, or a new one, as well as a number of other things.

So, if you wanted, you could create a bunch of bits on a track, all effected completely different.

Automation is also a possibility, but then you have the draw on the CPU, and depending on the over all amount of effects you wanted to use over a song, you could get into trouble, and end up with core audio overloads, or CPU overloads.

Good luck, this kind of stuff is a blast production wise

Upvote 0
Hey thank you for taking the time to explain it Georgelegeriii! If you bounce it in place, does it finalize the change, or can you still tweak it afterwards? And when I click and drag over the track, it just moves the track... so do I have to bring the track to a different window other than the multitrack view to select part of it? (maybe by double clicking or something?)...

Thanks again

Upvote 0
I imagine my computer will start having trouble if I try to put too many effects on one track...

That's what "Freeze" is for! Then, if you still want to tweak, you can unfreeze, tweak, and refreeze. Of the solutions offered above, I think this one is the simplest, but others might disagree.

Upvote 0
a way i've done this is to have your whole mix going to an aux instead of to your stereo output. that way you can have your mix settings working the same throughout a song on your stereo output but you can have things go in and out however you like on the aux. especially handy if you are wanting to gate/sidechain your mix to something else.

Upvote 0
The FX are just the effects i assume, but how do you draw track automation? Is it using the pencil tool?
Well I see you are beginner so I'll try to explain in detail steps..

Regarding the Track Automation (T.A) you can instantly record it using "Latch" or "Touch" T.A modes for example. You can also manually draw or edit T.A nodes in the T.A track view mode - (A) keycommand i think...

Using the Latch or Touch modes

Select the Audio Track channel strip where you want to automate the FX bypass plugin modes. Click the T.A box above the "Pan" knob in the Track Inspector of the selected track or in the Track Mixer and choose "Latch" mode for example.
Run Logic and "Option Click" (in the channel strip) a given FX plugin you what to Bypass or to Un-Bypass (On/Off the plugin). After doing this in real time, stop Logic and switch the T.A mode from "Latch" to "Read".

Using Direct Draw T.A mode
When hit (A) keycomand or click the "Hide/Show Track Automation Icon labeled as "Automation" the Arrange tracks will switch to that mode. The "Volume" parameter is shown by default. Click and hold the T.A parameter select "Volume" box and choose ->Main->Insert#... so this T.A lane will show FX bypass automation lane. Click the automation line to create new Bypass FX automation nodes.

Note: keep in mind that the Bypass nodes are non-continuous one. They are top or bottom related !

A.G

Upvote 0
What to do when you Latch...

The FX are just the effects i assume, but how do you draw track automation? Is it using the pencil tool?
Well I see you are beginner so I'll try to explain in detail steps..

Regarding the Track Automation (T.A) you can instantly record it using "Latch" or "Touch" T.A modes for example. You can also manually draw or edit T.A nodes in the T.A track view mode - (A) keycommand i think...

Using the Latch or Touch modes

Select the Audio Track channel strip where you want to automate the FX bypass plugin modes. Click the T.A box above the "Pan" knob in the Track Inspector of the selected track or in the Track Mixer and choose "Latch" mode for example.
Run Logic and "Option Click" (in the channel strip) a given FX plugin you what to Bypass or to Un-Bypass (On/Off the plugin). After doing this in real time, stop Logic and switch the T.A mode from "Latch" to "Read".

Using Direct Draw T.A mode
When hit (A) keycomand or click the "Hide/Show Track Automation Icon labeled as "Automation" the Arrange tracks will switch to that mode. The "Volume" parameter is shown by default. Click and hold the T.A parameter select "Volume" box and choose ->Main->Insert#... so this T.A lane will show FX bypass automation lane. Click the automation line to create new Bypass FX automation nodes.

Note: keep in mind that the Bypass nodes are non-continuous one. They are top or bottom related !

A.G

Ok so I got to the point of getting the track inspector to say "latch." I am not entirely sure how to specify the effect I want to a certain area... I'm guessing it has to do with the marquee tool, but I haven't been able to figure it out!! The song is so close!

Thanks for the in-depth reply! Definitely helps :)

Upvote 0
Run Logic and "Option Click" (in the channel strip) a given FX plugin you want to Bypass or to Un-Bypass (On/Off the plugin). After doing this in real time, stop Logic and switch the T.A mode from "Latch" to "Read".

By "Run Logic" Tangra means hit "Play." What is going to happen is that you will switch the effect on and off in the right places as the song plays, and because you're in "Latch" mode, Logic will 'record' the ons and offs. After you've recorded, you can switch the track to "Read" mode, and the effect will switch on and off at the right places in the song.

Upvote 0
By "Run Logic" Tangra means hit "Play." What is going to happen is that you will switch the effect on and off in the right places as the song plays, and because you're in "Latch" mode, Logic will 'record' the ons and offs. After you've recorded, you can switch the track to "Read" mode, and the effect will switch on and off at the right places in the song.
Oh! That makes sense! Awesome, i'll try it out! Then when I'm finished with that section of the track and want to record a different effect in a different place, I just do the same thing, but switch the effects (on the left hand side of the interface)?

Thanks for clearing that up sonnykeyes!

Upvote 0
Back