Logic Pro X How to convert notation recorded in 4/4 to Cut time version.

JollyRancher

Logician
This is really a notation question. I have an arrangement done in 4/4 that has many 16th note rhythms that some folks find difficult to read. I think it might be easier to read in Cut time. Is there a functional (hopefully easy) way to accomplish this change systemically rather than re-record the entire piece?

To be clear, Tempo is not an issue, just the more complex nature of a somewhat visually cluttered 16th note arrangement. It appears more challenging to some less experienced readers. So 16th's become 8th's & 8th's become quarters etc. I appreciate any thoughts on this.

Last edited:

JollyRancher

Logician
Change your time signature to 2/2 or drag in the cut time symbol from the part box.
Thanks volovicg! Either I'm missing something or I didn't explain well enough.
When I drag the cut time sign from the part box it does nothing to change the notation I've created in 4/4 time. It does change the signature but my hope is to have what appears now as eighth notes to appear as quarter notes and sixteenth notes to become eighth notes. Thank you for the response.

sonnykeyes

Logician
You need to Select everything in your arrangement, then Command-L (Lock SMPTE position) everything. Then double the tempo of your piece. Don't worry that you're not dealing with SMPTE, it just means that all the notes will stay in position despite the tempo change. You can Command-L again after you're done to unlock the notes again.

sonnykeyes

Logician
volovicg's solution is the simplest if you only have one region, but mine could be easier if you have multiple regions, especially if they don't start and end at the same time.

volovicg

Logician
Highlight all the regions and apply the stretch to one of them (while all selected ) you will affect all instead of one