Logic Pro 9 How to 'embed' midi channel data into Midi notes?

Does anyone know how I can have midi notes played into a particular midi channel from a midi multi-instrument have their respective midi channel 'embedded' into that note?

This is so that when I drag midi regions up to the multi instrument channel eg. for Kontakt & Omnisphere type instruments. It is easy to bounce them to audio.

Thx
Felix

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2012-12-07 at 4.08.46 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2012-12-07 at 4.08.46 PM.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 173
If I understand you correctly there are two ways you can do this.

1. Do it from your MIDi controller. So, set the channel you want the notes recorded to on your controller. Then record in your parts and they will be captured with the MIDi channel they were sent on.

2. Do it after the fact. There are several ways you can accomplish this. Here are two examples:

A. Once you have your regions recorded, open them in an Event List. Select all, then change the MIDI channel.

B. Once you have your regions recorded, select them, open up the transform window, and set the operations row to transform the MIDi channel to the destination channel you want them at.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
Looking at the attachment you use a Multi instrument cabled to the Omnisphere channel strip right.
Select the Omnisphere channel strip and set it to "All" ch. if it is not set this way yet.
Note: When you use a Mutli Instrument in the Environment and play midi regions on the different Multi tracks in the Arrange and those regions use note events set to same midi channel (say ch1), you do not need to embed or transform the note events midi channel cause the Multi Instrument does that Automatically on the fly! I.e it transforms/channelizes the midi track data following the track channel law (the Multi tracks are set to ch.1-16 by default). So the Multi behaves as a real time transformer in this case.
Regards,
A.G

BTW. By the way what kind is the object cabled between the Multi instrument and the Omnisphere. It looks like ornament object or macro. If it is a macro, take care about the proper channelizing inside the macro!

Upvote 0
Hi Felix,

What Tangra says is absolutely correct. There's no need to channelize MIDI data when it is flowing through a multi instrument. If it is not working as it should, like Tangra says, check the Inspector settings for that ornament object in the signal path and see if there is anything there affecting the channelization of MIDI data flowing through it.

Sorry, I didn't do a very good job reading between the lines and seeing the bigger picture like Tangra was able to do :redface:

Upvote 0
Thankyou all very much for your suggestions. I really do appreciate them. However, as usual, it is my mistake for not better explaining what I am trying to achieve. What I am trying to do is to be able to more easily bounce midi tracks to Audio - this is where I drag the regions from the midi tracks to the multichannel AU instrument and click 'Bounce to Audio'. It is here that the midi channels have to be set (Eli's Option A or B) But it's this step I'm tired of doing and I want to be more efficient. What I am looking for is a transformer setting that will do this, but I just don't know how!

Firstly Eli - This is basically what I do currently, I am just looking for a solution where I don't have to to do Option A or B!

Secondly Tangra - I know you are right. The setup I have works great for playing the multichannel AU instruments and I have a transformer in there which converts midi CC data so that I can control the Midi volume and pan independently from the AU midi and pan (- I should share this on the forum somewhere!)

So - Does anyone know how I can achieve this with the transformer object?

Upvote 0
Here's another approach: What about not going the multi instrument route?

You could easily create a multi timbral software instrument. Do all your sequencing and programming on those tracks. Just solo them when you want to bounce them to audio. There wouldn't be any dragging involved. And no transformers.

If you are using Omnisphere, each part is easily automat-able via the internal automation parameters. Logic is able to easily host automation parameters for most third party modern multi timbral software instruments.

Attachments

• Omnishpere.jpg
    Omnishpere.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0
Hi Eli,
Thanks very much again for the suggestion.

I do apologize in advance for coming across as a real 'know-it-all'!

That would be a good suggestion but that would mean that I can't control midi channel volume or pan indepently of the AU plugin volume/pan - hence the need for that transformer between the Multi Instrument and that AU instrument (in the screenshot attached to OP).

Still looking for that magical Transformer setting!

Upvote 0
Hi Felix,

If you are willing to use Track Automation it can all work very simply with no setup. You simply need to right click the control you want to automate in Omnisphere and choose "enable host automation". It will then appear in Logic's automation list under Omnisphere. This works for Pan. Level is already enabled by default.

If you prefer working with MIDI automation , like drawing it in under notes in the Piano Roll or Score editors for example, then that's a different story. That I don't have a silver bullet for :D

So, you have two ways of working. If you prefer using MIDI automation, neither is perfect. So, I guess you just need to choose which work arounds bother you less!

Attachments

• Host Automation.jpg
    Host Automation.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 156
Upvote 0
Back