How to layer loop record

Diggity Dog

So that each pass layers on top on previous pass - NOT replace. Like tape looping the Imogene Heap does
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

You have a number of choices as to how you wish Logic to deal with repeated takes over a passage, these can be found under Logic Pro -> Preferences -> Recording (see screenshot). From the sound of it, you may want to have cycle switched on, then create tracks and mute, in which case each pass will create a new track with the new recording positioned on it. The previous recordings will be muted, but once you are finished simply unmute them. Alternatively, if you use Create Take Folder, you have some other options, including selecting the best parts of various indivudual takes, which can then be "flattened" creating multiple recordings. Probably worth spending some time experimenting with these functions, they are pretty powerful and well worth getting familiar with.

HTH, kind regards

Mark

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 10.34.32.png
    Screenshot 2021-11-15 at 10.34.32.png
    157 KB · Views: 178
Last edited:
You have a number of choices as to how you wish Logic to deal with repeated takes over a passage, these an be found under Logic Pro -> Preferences -> Recording (see screenshot). From the sound of it, you may want to have cycle switched on, then create tracks and mute, in which case each pass will create a new track with the new recording positioned on it. The previous recordings will be muted, but once you are finished simply unmute them. Alternatively, if you use Creat Take Folder, you have some other options, including selecting the best parts of various indivudual takes, which can then be "flattened" creating multiple recordings. Probably worth spending some time experimenting with these functions, they are pretty powerful and well worth getting familiar with.

HTH, kind regards

Mark
Thanks Mark - merge did it!

- Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear Marks,

Please correct me if I'm wrong but this method does not allow the previously-recorded "cycles" to be *heard* while recording each subsequent layer/"cycle." I would like to record a cycle, then layer on top of it while being able to hear each previous layer/cycle.

-T

Have you tried this: In Logic-Settings-Recording, open "Cycle on" and choose "Create Tracks"?

kind regards

Mark

Have you tried this: In Logic-Settings-Recording, open "Cycle on" and choose "Create Tracks"?

kind regards

Mark
Thanks Mark, yes. I was trying to replicate the experience of a loop-pedal: layering phrases on top of each other, within the same loop, only pressing "record" once. In Logic, I need to preemptively create multiple tracks, record track one, stop the recording (& playback), select a subsequent track, arm it for recording, then record again (over and over). A lot of "in-between" steps in order to "quickly" layer audio phrases on top of each other. On a loop pedal, one can layer 5+ phrases on top of each other in a matter of seconds, but to achieve the same result in Logic it is a more laborious process.

The only other thing that springs to mind that might be worth exploring is Logic's "Live Loops" mode. Personally I have not made any experiences using logic this way, but it's always interesting to read about the many different ways we all work and play :)

kind regards

Mark

The only other thing that springs to mind that might be worth exploring is Logic's "Live Loops" mode. Personally I have not made any experiences using logic this way, but it's always interesting to read about the many different ways we all work and play :)

kind regards

Mark
Hello,
I would also like to do this. There must be some way to overlap audio recordings with cycle on, and have Logic create tracks WITHOUT muting the previous track. It would be a huge advantage for those of us using Logic in a live setting. TIA - Steve

Back