Logic Pro 9 How To Stop Last Song Automatically Loading

Johnny Massacre

Hi.

Every time I open Logic 9, it loads the last song I was working on. This drives me insane. How do I just get it to load a template I like?

With kindest regards,

JM

To add to what George correctly said:

Go to menu: Logic Pro/Preferences/General
Click on the Project Handling tab

The first item is [Startup Action]
Here you can choose what you want to do every time Logic 9 starts, including loading a Template of your choice.

Upvote 0
Thanks for this and for not flaming me for my ignorance. I've used Logic for a long time, but didn't use 8 much, now I'm back on the case with 9 and little things like this have stumped me. Maybe too many late nights? Haha!

Upvote 0
OK, here's a related question: most of the time I do want the last song I was working on to load, but once in a while I don't, so is there a way to leave the preference the way it is but hold a key down while the program boots (or something) for those times I want to start with something else? Just wondering.

Upvote 0
...most of the time I do want the last song I was working on to load, but once in a while I don't, so is there a way to leave the preference the way it is but hold a key down while the program boots (or something) for those times I want to start with something else?...

The last song will appear at the top of the "Open Recent" list.

I use the preference "Do Nothing" because I don't want Logic to assume anything when I boot up the application. It takes less than one second to actually initiate whatever subsequent task I need to do after Logic boots up. But it takes waaaaay longer when Logic tries to open a song I don't want... then I have to wait it out and close it and do the thing I really wanted to do.

In other words, I do too many things in random order for me to choose any particular boot strategy other than DO NOTHING (great song by The Specials by the way).

I'm just living in a life without meaning
I walk and walk - do nothing
I'm just living in a life without feeling
I talk and talk - say nothing

Upvote 0
I don't have Logic here to check this but isn't there an option to have it ask what you want at startup? A dialogue appears whenever you start and presents you with all of the options.

Upvote 0
I don't have Logic here to check this but isn't there an option to have it ask what you want at startup? A dialogue appears whenever you start and presents you with all of the options.

Yes - you go to the preference discussed above and select [Ask]

My personal choice is to select a Template that I have created that always opens when Logic boots, much like the old days of "autoload" songs. I then have my preferred layout ready to start a new idea. If I want to open an existing project, it's simple to just close this Untitled song and proceed - alternatively I launch Logic by double-clicking the project I want to work on.

Lots of choices, none of them universally better than the other....

Upvote 0
My personal choice is to select a Template that I have created that always opens when Logic boots, much like the old days of "autoload" songs. I then have my preferred layout ready to start a new idea. If I want to open an existing project, it's simple to just close this Untitled song and proceed - alternatively I launch Logic by double-clicking the project I want to work on.

I use the exact same strategy as Colin. I have my pref set to open a default template that has an instrument track selected with a piano loaded in; so I can start playing my keyboard instantly. And it's a minor thing to close it since there aren't a ton of instruments or plug ins pre loaded. And like Colin, I usually just launch Logic by double clicking a specific project when that is specifically what I want to work on.

Upvote 0
It really depends on your workflow so it's great that there are so many options to choose from. If you were the sort of person who worked on one song until it was finished and only got to spend an hour or two at a time then opening last song would be useful. If you tend to work on something until it's finished in one session then starting with your favourite template (or the template dialogue) would work.

My workflow is chaotic (unfortunately) so the "ask" option is my best bet - at least until I get my act together. :)

Upvote 0
Back