Logic Pro 8 how to tell logic I have a new midi interface

rainguitar

Logician
Hi,

I just bought an Apogee Duet for audio and an M-Audio uno to get the midi information to and from my external synth. Both are working fine but Logic keeps giving me this message pointing out that my previous midi device (An Edirol FA-66) is missing. It still responds fine to the M-Audio Uno but seems to want the FA-66 anyway. I searched around the various midi menus but I can't figure out where to delete the FA-66 and add the M-Audio unit. I had no such problem with the Apogee duet/FA-66 audio switch. Thanks

Greg

Start by looking in the Audio Midi Setup utility in the Mac OS. Make sure the old interface isn't active there and that the new one is recognized. That's a good starting point.

In terms of within Logic, are you opening up old projects or templates that were referencing the old interface? If so, Logic should take care of things automatically, but doesn't seem to be. Look in your environment and check that there are no MIDI instruments or multi instruments specifically assigned to those old interface ports. Additionally, you can always reassign the midi connections for external midi tracks via the Library tab in the Arrange Window. And you can also look in the Inspector on the midi or software instrument channel strips and make sure they are set to respond from the correct port there.

Upvote 0
Hi Eli,

Thanks for your response. I've removed all traces of the Edirol FA-66 from the Audio Midi Setup utility. This has no effect on the error message. However except for the re-occurance of the error message everytime I open Logic, everything is working normally. The enviroment layer that contains my Roland XP-30 synth is actually an import from my Logic 4 days and it has never been altered, by me anyway, to reference the FA-66 specifically. Maybe Logic did something automatically when I imported that layer, but Logic appears to have no problem sending and receiving midi messages from the XP-30 via the new M-Audio interface. It just keeps giving me the error message anyway.

Greg

Upvote 0
I don't think this has anything to do with your driver setup. Logic only complains if your current song (environment) actually contains an object that is linked to a midi interface that doesn't exist. Are you sure you didn't miss out on an instrument that is assigned to a port on the old interface?

Upvote 0
This is the actual message I recieve:

"Instrument "Roland XP-30" sends to a midi port named "Plug 1" of midi interface "Edirol FA-66 (1011)" which no longer exists. Please check if all midi interfaces are connected and switched on; otherwise adjust the instruments midi out port setting."

The fact that this message is referencing my external synth would seem to indicate the problem is with that layer in the environment. However I just created a new project template into which I imported the exact same layer and the new template opens without the error message.

Greg

Upvote 0
This is the actual message I recieve:

"Instrument "Roland XP-30" sends to a midi port named "Plug 1" of midi interface "Edirol FA-66 (1011)" which no longer exists. Please check if all midi interfaces are connected and switched on; otherwise adjust the instruments midi out port setting."

The fact that this message is referencing my external synth would seem to indicate the problem is with that layer in the environment. However I just created a new project template into which I imported the exact same layer and the new template opens without the error message.

Greg

I don't know why the second project loads without error (maybe the defunct output is removed when it's copied) but you should definitely check the output setting of your XP-30 object in the erroneous project. It obviously still points to the no longer existing midi interface.

Upvote 0
Back