Logic Pro 8 How to work with scrub in sample editor?

I don't understand how to work with scrub or playhead in the sample editor.

I can scrub and there's a playhead showing me where I am in the sample file. I can also playback audio and there's a playhead showing the position.

So far so good, but what then?

If I stop scrubbing or playing the playhead disappears. I thought the general idea was to use the playhead position I've scrubbed to for some task like positioning the anchor or trimming a selection border.

The only way to do this is - as far as I can see - by remembering the position by eye sight and then try to position something where the playhead was before it disappeared. I find that very strange.

Am I missing some vital aspect here? Or is this the way it is?

Eli

Logician
Yeah, sort of. You need to do one extra step.

After you've established your selection in the Sample Editor, go under the local Edit menu and choose:

Selection ->Region.

You can assign a key command to it so it'll be quick and easy and painless to do.

Yeah, sort of. You need to do one extra step.

After you've established your selection in the Sample Editor, go under the local Edit menu and choose:

Selection ->Region.

You can assign a key command to it so it'll be quick and easy and painless to do.
Ah yes, but that will change the whole region. I was thinking of just moving the anchor to a new position (not necessarily the left border) within an already created region.

Eli

Logician
I can see how that could be useful. I don't think there's a way to locate or move the anchor from within the Sample Edit window though, short of just dragging it with the mouse.

Scrubbing in Sample Editor (or NOT!)

Just to add something that may or may not pertain to your situation. I don't know how things look in the newest versions of LOGIC, but around LOGIC 6, I believe, there was a sudden change in how you navigate a file in the Sample Editor. Earlier, you were able to click in the Sample Editor window, get a visible vertical line depending on where you clicked (that part is still the same), and then be able to play the file:

a) UP TO that line, by holding the mouse button anywhere before that line, just above the waveform window;
b) FROM that line forward, again by simply holding the mouse button down anywhere after that line, and the file would always automatically start right at that line.

Around LOGIC 6 this suddenly didn't work anymore, probably because of the new Scrubbing feature, or something. From what I know, this wasn't documented in the Manuals. At first I was perplexed by the loss of this highly useful option.

However:
To defeat Scrubbing (in LOGIC 6), or to play the audio file in the Sample Editor window the way it used to work, press "Option" while click/holding. Then audio will play the way it used to!
?

However:
To defeat Scrubbing (in LOGIC 6), or to play the audio file in the Sample Editor window the way it used to work, press "Option" while click/holding. Then audio will play the way it used to!
?
Thanks a lot for that one! Strange thing it's not documented. I'd prefer to have key commands for this but it's better than nothing.