Logic Pro 9 I wonder why Pan isn't working

edurbrow

Logician
This is just one note, but it is quite a long sample from Logic's sound library. The sound is only coming from the left side even though it is panned in the middle, then right, then back to the middle. Pan does not work on it. Is that because of the kind of note it is? I don't recognize the movie looking icon. Am I doing something wrong or is there not a way to move the pan during this note? There are three bird chirps and I want them to come from different locations. I know I could duplicate this. (Actually, I don't know how to duplicate a track. I was looking for how to do that earlier and all I could find was duplicating a track layout with the same settings and then I had to option-drag the regions. No way to duplicate a track with all its regions?) So I guess I could duplicate it, set a different pan location and use volume automation, but I'm curious to know what the deal is with midi and panning. I guess another solution would be to turn it into an audio track, eh?

Attachments

• Picture 28.jpg
    Picture 28.jpg
    24.4 KB · Views: 148
No reason pan shouldn't work on a sound.

I couldn't find "bird chirps" in the exs factory sounds. Is it mono or stereo?

If it's a stereo EXS, then the pan will be a balance control, although that doesn't explain your problem.

Upvote 0
Just trying to put on detective hat here: you mentioned that you don't recognize the movie icon. This leads me to suspect that you didn't select it yourself and that it has probably been called up as part of a channel strip. Is it possible there are some plug-ins associated with this channel strip that are influencing the behavior of the panning? Maybe a direction mixer, or tremolo plug-in for example? or some stereo delays, etc?

Upvote 0
Good detective work, that is the icon you get with the nature Sounds Channel strip. (The obvious answer to the question I asked)

The pan/balance works as it should on those sounds. But maybe the pan in EXS 24 editor has been changed to -100. That would explain this.

Attachments

• pan.jpg
    pan.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 160
Upvote 0
I was always under the impression that pan only works on the note-on of a MIDI event. If the three bird chirps were an audio file on an audio track you could pan them as you are describing, but to make it work using MIDI, you'd have to play the same note on three separate tracks, all with the same settings, but panned differently, then use volume automation to mute the chirps from the wrong pan locations in three places. I think it would be easier to track down the audio file that EXS is playing and put it on an audio track.

Upvote 0
Back