Logic Pro (X) Icon Qcon Pro XS

paulnajar

Logician
Happy new year to all.

My original Mackie Control and 2 x XT + C4 is getting very old and I have just had the main MCU LCD go dead. Some years ago I purchased a spare for parts but even the LCD swap does not work. Also tried to swap the power board still no luck.

Sooo I am thinking of getting onto something newer and this device looks great. Any user reports out there with Logic?

Specifically does the master stereo meter on the device work with Logic? Scanning through heaps of forum threads I’m not able to answer that question. Also any other gotchas about using this device with Logic compared to an original Mackie COntrol? It presents as though it will simply replace my Mackie Control and XT’s.

Finally is anyone aware of a replacement device for a Mackie C4? Does anyone make those?

Kind regards

no luck on the C4 - Check out the Behringer X-Touch (full, not compact, not one) and the X-Touch eXtender. Pretty much matches the Mackie Control section of the Control Surfaces manual - USB connections if you wish. Nicely priced compared to the MCU...

Upvote 0
I have no experience with the icon device, but perhaps also take a look at the presonus faderport Paul? Is your c4 still working? If so, despite losing the main MCU you could presumably keep the c4 up and running alongside one of the many boxes of faders you might choose to replace the MCU.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Happy new year to all.

My original Mackie Control and 2 x XT + C4 is getting very old and I have just had the main MCU LCD go dead.
The same happened here and I recently was looking into this LUX PMVA LED Display Upgrade - Mackie Control Universal MCU Pro XT C4 PMVA LED Display ! but I didn't order it yet.
I agree with Mark in considering the presonus faderport Presonus Faderport 16
but visiting your website I would say, if budget permits, the SSL nucleus would be a nice fit.;)
Happy new year to you as well
Ab

Upvote 0
A Faderport is nice.

The X-Touch *is* an MCU for all practical purposes. Everything you do on an MCU is right there, labeled properly, and works as expected.

Minimal learning curve...

Upvote 0
Than ks for the replies everyone.

facej, yes I've seen the Behringer X-Touch and reading around they seem to work well but without having seem one in the flesh, looking at the dimensions they appear to be rather tightly laid out vertically.

The Presonus Faderport series is just missing too many of the buttons I have come to rely upon on the Mackie control and I'm not a fan of where they have put the scrub wheel.

Ab Van Goor, the SSL Nucleus is not such a crazy suggestion and I’ve spent the last few days looking very seriously at them -but- for a premium priced product they still have some major oversights in my view. Looking at Nucleus Ver 1 - the audio interface section is pretty well unusable on any recent Mac OS - and even if it was and I could use the SPDIF I/O to get the preamps into my RME UFX, and monitor audio back to the Nucleus, there is no way to put the digital IO of the Nucleus into external sync:-( This is still true for the version 2 Nucleus as well. This means the only thing version 2 gives that version 1 doesn’t is speaker switching as even the added talkback of version 2 is not assignable to anything other than it’s own headphones output - and the phones share the control rooom inputs. You can’t send a cue mix separate to the control room speakers mix. Does SSL think the performer‘s headphones share the same mix as the control room? And do they think that only one cue mix is all a studio would need?

Anyway blah blah....

Thanks again for the replies. The Icon and MAYBE the Behringer X-Touch are still in contention if I can’t find a Nucleus version 1 second hand in Australia...

Upvote 0
facej, yes I've seen the Behringer X-Touch and reading around they seem to work well but without having seem one in the flesh, looking at the dimensions they appear to be rather tightly laid out vertically.
The X-Touch is 100 x 452 x 300 mm
The MCU is 113 x 419 x 429 mm

There's not really any extra space at the top or bottom of the X-Touch, and the buttons are a bit closer together (the banks). I find the slightly more compact nature to be a benefit. In my experience the X-Touch is quieter than the MCU, well, not as "rattle-y" with moving faders.

I have to tilt the X-Touch up from the back (I have it on a book stand) so I can read the scribble strips more easily.

A plus for me is that the X-Touch is USB connected to my Mac. The USB hub connects a keyboard and a light as I do not have an extender that I want connected.

Upvote 0
Yes as you rightly point out it’s only in the vertical axis that there is a crowding concern. The horizontal spread appears to be better than the MCU.

That’s a great bit of feedback thanks regarding the scribble strips on the X-Touch. The MCU’s don’t have that issue!

I’ve ordered the backlight replacement from backlights4u. they said it could be up to 4 weeks to get to Australia! so if nothing else I will get the old MCU working to sell.

At this stage I’m leaning towards a second hand version 1 SSL Nucleus. I’ve found one locally. If I take it’s end cheeks off I can still fit a further fader bank to the left and the C4 to the right in my existing custom furniture. I’ll let you know how I get on..

Upvote 0
Back