Logic Pro 8 Import Audio from Movie

nyah2010

Logician
Hi,

I am trying to edit the audio on a mpg file that I received from a coworker and am receiving an unknown system failure "result = code 2184" when trying to import the audio from mpg video, regardless of whether I try to "Import audio from Movie" or "Import Audio to Arrange". I am new to working with video in Logic and could be doing any number of stupid things. So far I've tried this on both my MBP and Mac Pro, Fireface 800 resetting, checking and re-booting everything I can think of.

My over-all goal is to produce a video that a band can play along with, lyrical cues and all, with an audio backing track remixed with the original audio back into the video. The video is exactly how we want it except for the audio. So far I have the midi track synced perfectly with the video. But now need to fade out the exiting audio in places where I need the audio from what will be recorded from the midi tracks to take over. And then Export Audio to Movie.

Does this seem like a logical way to approach this? or could there be alternatives?

Any thoughts on this or the error messages I'm receiving are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Nyah2010

can you export the audio from the movie when opened in Quicktime? eg export> sound to wave

.. what does the movie inspector in quicktime reveal about the movies audio format?

QT>window> show movie inspector

Upvote 0
You know - this is going to sound wierd and voodoo like - but I swear it has solved mysteries involving audio extracted from QT movies for me more than once: Copy the file (the QT in your case) to another drive; delete the original, then copy the file back from the new drive. Then try opening, or importingin your case, from this fresh copy.

And of course, maually check the permissions in the Finder. Eyeball it first hand in the Get Info window and unlock it if necessary.

Upvote 0
can you export the audio from the movie when opened in Quicktime? eg export> sound to wave

.. what does the movie inspector in quicktime reveal about the movies audio format?

QT>window> show movie inspector

Thanks for the reply, leytonnz. Quicktime 7.6, I don't see "export sound to wave. I had earlier tried to export movie to mpeg-4 and strangely all audio was removed from the resulting .mov file. (which gives me an idea).

Inspector indicates" MPEG2 Muxed, 640 x 480 pixels

I tried a work-around of recording the audio from the video unto a Logic track which gave me the audio to mix the new tracks with. But when it came to using "Export Audio to Movie" it just combined the new mix with the old audio where as I thought that it would completely replace the old audio.

Which makes me now think that I could probably go back now and Export audio to the .mov file that I inadvertantly removed the original audio from...as long as it's still all in sync.

Thanks for the help, you at the very least turned me on to Inspector in Qtime.

Upvote 0
Thanks Eli, I'll definitely try the copy-delete-copy. I'd already checked permissions - unlocked, but I'll check again after new copy.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the reply, leytonnz. Quicktime 7.6, I don't see "export sound to wave. I had earlier tried to export movie to mpeg-4 and strangely all audio was removed from the resulting .mov file. (which gives me an idea).

Inspector indicates" MPEG2 Muxed, 640 x 480 pixels

I tried a work-around of recording the audio from the video unto a Logic track which gave me the audio to mix the new tracks with. But when it came to using "Export Audio to Movie" it just combined the new mix with the old audio where as I thought that it would completely replace the old audio.

Your difficulty is arising because you are using an mpeg file instead of an mov file. When the inspector says "Muxed" it means the bits and bytes of audio and video information are all mixed up together in the file, and are practically inextricable from one another. (That's why you end up with a double audio track when you try to export audio to video - you can't 'turn off' the audio track in an mpeg) An mov file, on the other hand, treats them as two 'tracks' that run concurrently, and are much easier to manipulate from within Logic.

Whenever I have to deal with this, I use Audio Hijack to make a file of the audio only from the mpeg. (I guess you could use Logic instead) I also make a Quicktime of the mpeg using Quicktime Pro. This (there's your idea) strips the audio out completely. Then, in Logic, I use the new mov (Quicktime) file and import the audio that I made using Audio Hijack. It's a little cumbersome, but it's the only way I've found to use mpegs that works in Logic. Also, mov files play a lot smoother in Logic than mpegs do, so the program runs better.

Upvote 0
I suggest upgrading to Quicktime Pro if you haven't already, opening the mpeg movie in there and exporting the audio to AIFF. If you need to rejoin the audio and video at a later time, then export the video to Quicktime format. Then you can rejoin them in iMovie or FCP. I do things like this a lot.

Upvote 0
You need to record the audio from the mpeg using either Soundflower directly into Logic, or some other routing method... maybe your audio card/device has a re-routing facility like the RME mixers do.
Anyway, mpeg files have the audio multiplexed with the vision, so you are stuck right there. Logic can't de-mux them on the fly.
You can try a conversion program like mpegStreamclip or some of the others out in the world wide network. But ultimately, you'll have to do a bit of extra leg work compared to receiving a DV (which is what you want to end up with), or some other native QT format.

Upvote 0
Alienimplant...thanks. This is all good. I'm a music guy but the church I work for uses a lot of media and we just lost our AV guy so this is my opportunity be more knowledgeable in area I've previously avoided.

Upvote 0
Sonny...and all, you guys have certainly been complete in answering my questions. Thanks for your time & patience. Tax filing deadline close approaching....gotta complete that now.

Upvote 0
Ah, good then. I didn't realize it came with Logic Studio. I knew it did with Final Cut Studio. Quicktime Pro (export function) is an amazing tool and the best method in my opinion for dealing with conversions. You can make it even better by installing additional codecs with Perian and Flip4Mac. Then you can extract audio from many Windows formats, convert to AIFF and use the audio in Logic.

Upvote 0
Actually it comes with the general Mac software package and you upgrade to Pro when needed. I'd done that a couple of years back but aside from piecing a couple of videos together hadn't used any of the Pro features until now. That's changing, thanks to you and others.

Upvote 0
This is only part of the truth. Yes, you are correct, but when you get Final Cut Studio, you get upgraded to Quicktime Pro for free. Someone was making the point that Logic Pro Studio offers the same perk, but I can't confirm that as I already had FCP installed.

Upvote 0
Back