Logic Pro 9 Importing EXS files

jdk90026

Logician
I upgraded to 9.1.7 on a new macbook pro, and now my logic sessions from before are missing all my 3rd party exs files - they are in the same folder on my external HD as before. In the EXS 24 sample browser window, I only see selections for the Factory and Garage Band folders - there is no way to navigate or import other exs files.

Help?

Thanks,

J

You need to copy the Logic folder from your user/application support folder from your old system. That is where the samples live, and that's is why you don't see them on your new system.

So.. go to your old computer, open the users folder and then the one that is your user name, then app support, and then Logic. Copy that folder onto a drive, and then put it into your new systems user folder, same place.

it's likely that Logic already created a new user Logic folder, so if you have made any new channel strip settings or made any new exs samples, be careful when you copy the new/old logic folder that you don't write over any new data.

The process of checking and removing, bla bla bla is too complex for me to go over how to do it on the lug; I suggest you get a more knowledgable Mac person to give you a hand, so you don't accidentally break your system while trying to fix something.

Upvote 0
You can also make an Alias of the EXS folder on the external drive. Control-click or right-click on the folder, then select Make Alias.

Drag the Alias to your user Sampler instruments folder located here:
User>Library>Application Support>Logic>Sampler Instruments.

Then open the EXS 24. Click on the Sampler Instruments field (browser pop-up) on the top right of center where you select instruments. Click on Refresh Menu. Wait a few minutes while it works.

The EXS files on the external drive will now be available within the EXS 24 browser pop-up or in the Library tab.

Of course, the external drive needs to be hooked up.;)

Upvote 0
missing exs

Thanks guys-
George - I tried your suggestion, but unfortunately I realized this problem went back to the other machine, and the 9.0 update - I hadn't opened older sessions on either computer in a while.

I had high hopes for CSEye's idea, but adding an alias for the external HD didn't work, even with refreshing the instrument list and restarting Logic, EXS 24 only sees the Factory and Garage Band sample folders - plus ONE other exs file which is an old experimental instrument I assembled and saved myself - and cannot see THAT exs file anywhere on the system.

Could trashing prefs help? Any other ideas? There's gotta be a way to add working exs files to the sampler.

Thanks
J

Upvote 0
Hi J,

Trashing the prefs won't help in this case. It's simply a matter of having the right files in the right locations. First of all, when dealing with the EXS 24, you must understand the distinction between "sampler instruments" and the "samples". These are two separate things.

The fact that your instruments are not appearing in the EXS drop down menu indicates they are not placed properly. They _MUST_ go here:

Users Folder --> Library --> Application Support --> Logic --> Sampler Instruments.

If no Sampler Instruments folder exists in this location, you must create it manually. Place your sampler instruments in there, and they will show up once the menu is refreshed.

As for the samples themselves, they can be anywhere, on any drive. But obviously they must be able to be "seen" by Logic. So, leaving them on an external HD is fine, provided the HD is on.

Hope this helps....

Upvote 0
Just a thought....
This may be obvious, but did you try to refresh the menu in EXS24?
Click-hold on the display in EXS24 and when you get the menu to choose an instrument, scroll down and click on Refresh.

You can also try this in the Arrange window:
Select a track with EXS24. Click on the Media button and select the Library tab. Bottom left, click on the little gear button and choose Refresh Library.

Hope this helps....

Upvote 0
The fact that your instruments are not appearing in the EXS drop down menu indicates they are not placed properly. They _MUST_ go here:

Users Folder --> Library --> Application Support --> Logic --> Sampler Instruments.

Hi Eli,

Just wondering....
I have a bunch of old Sampler Instruments from Logic 6, which are in a folder:
Mac HD/Applications/Logic 6 Series/Sampler Instruments

They've always shown up in EXS24, through upgrades all the way to 9.1.7

I have no aliases pointing to this folder, which is NOT in the default location. How did Logic pick this up? Was this something that happened during an early upgrade?

Regards - Colin

Upvote 0
The first attachment shows the contents of my User>Library>Application Support>Logic>Sampler Instruments folder. Notice the alias folders at the bottom.

The original TG500 folder is located on a separate internal drive. (Could be on an external drive).

The next attachment shows the contents of the original TG500 folder when clicking on the alias. This folder contains sampler instruments and samples folders.

The last attachment shows available EXS instruments when selecting from the Sampler Instruments field. Notice the alias folders.

You should see something similar if you've placed the alias of your EXS instruments folder on the ext hd within the previously stated correct location so that Logic sees it.

Attachments

• User si.png
    User si.png
    33 KB · Views: 183
  • hierarchy.jpg
    hierarchy.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 165
  • Sampler Instrument field.jpg
    Sampler Instrument field.jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 180
Upvote 0
Just wondering....
I have a bunch of old Sampler Instruments from Logic 6, which are in a folder:
Mac HD/Applications/Logic 6 Series/Sampler Instruments

They've always shown up in EXS24, through upgrades all the way to 9.1.7

I have no aliases pointing to this folder, which is NOT in the default location. How did Logic pick this up? Was this something that happened during an early upgrade?

Regards - Colin

Hi Colin,

That is bizarre! The only way I know of to have EXS 24 instruments available other than from within the factory or User Sampler Instruments folder (or having alias' in there), is to have a Sampler Instruments folder created within a project folder. This happens when you include the instruments as assets in the project settings. Is it possible you have this enabled on the projects where they are showing up in? Or are they globally available even when opening an unsaved template? If so, I don't have an explanation! :eeek:

Upvote 0
Hi Eli,

Bizarre indeed.
These sampler instruments are always available, whether in old songs or brand new.

Maybe Logic 7 was smart enough to find these Logic 6 instruments, then Logic 8 and 9 simply accepted them. I wonder if the file path is hidden in some pref file? Anyway, I'm not too concerned - if this stops working, I'll just add an alias as one would expect to do.

Upvote 0
Back