Logic Pro (X) Importing midi files

borgy

Is there a way to import a standard midi file to where all the tracks fall nicely into external midi tracks?

Just tried a couple of different ways to import and the result was several software instrument tracks, all Grand Piano!

I'm a long time "owner" of Logic, but a very infrequent "user" so pretty much like a newbie. I just registered to this forum and this is my first post. Thanks so much to anyone that might be of help!

borgy

Is there a way to import a standard midi file to where all the tracks fall nicely into external midi tracks?
Sure,
Close Logic. Navigate to the midi file, right click it (in the finder) and choose "Open With Logic X..." after that hold the computer "Option" key immediately.
Keep the Option key held until the Logic full loading.
Regards

Upvote 0
where did you get one? Is it documented somewhere?
I think it is not documented... Some other applications use similar tricks during project loading, so I have tried different key combinations with Logic long time ago.
This one is really helpful.
Regards ;)

Upvote 0
I found this three in a search when looking for some info on importing MIDI files. My problem: Logic 9 does not use the track names in a SMF to name the tracks it creates. It does use them to name the MIDI regions but seems to guess at a track name using MIDI destination information from the original project from which the MIDI file was exported. It seems to be finding an EXS instrument that matches this destination information, and creating an Instrument track with the EXS program name as a track name. It also guesses using the technique described by Tangra above, just uses different names. If I remove all the MIDI destination info in the original project, export MIDI, then import into Logic, it still only uses the track names to name regions, but tracks all get the same name after one of the tracks in the original project (in this case, they're all called Bassoon).

Naming tracks (in the manual) has many options but I don't see any options that would replicate the original track names in the SMF files, or use region names.

I have 104 tracks here, this is a lot of cutting and pasting, so I'd like to know if anyone knows of a simple way to get Logic to pay attention to the track names in the export.

Upvote 0
Back