Logic Pro 9 Inexpensive conrol surface? New or used?

djqwikcut

Logician
Im on a mac with logic pro (latest version) and OS 10.8 ... Im looking for either a control surface or control surface/mixer/audio interface. What is out there that will not break the bank either new or used? I have been thinking of using the MACKIE CONTROL as the controller and using my ALESIS MULTIMIX 12 as the mixer/audio interface.

Any suggestions would be appreciated....

Update: I have found some good deals on the o1x and a few other control surface/mixer combos.. HOWEVER, it appears there are no drivers for 10.8 OSX .... so any suggestions for an inexpensive unit would be appreciated.. I would love the motorized faders, audio input and audio interface as well and work with 10.8 .... Im not looking to spend a boat load of money..

Thanks ....

Have you considered an ipad. There are some very very good apps for all sorts of control types. You can do apps that emulate mackie controllers, Yamaha makes an awesome fader app, and the prices (less the ipad that can be used for lots of other things when not being used as a Logic controller) are between .99 up to $50 with most being $5 or less.

Just a thought ;-)

Upvote 0
Have you considered an ipad. There are some very very good apps for all sorts of control types. You can do apps that emulate mackie controllers, Yamaha makes an awesome fader app, and the prices (less the ipad that can be used for lots of other things when not being used as a Logic controller) are between .99 up to $50 with most being $5 or less.

Just a thought ;-)

I'm playing with one now that was less then $5 and emulates a mackie control. You just run 2 programs on the Mac and set up some midi settings. Is there a program you recommend? I'm running iOS 5.1.1 so that might limit apps

Upvote 0
I use the Yamaha Faders app, since I can easily assign any CC controller to a fader. Makes working with VI's super easy. There is one called "LPTouch for Logic Pro" By Harmony systems I've used, and Lemur, which is expensive and a bitch to program, but there is a guy in Sweden who makes some awesome Logic instrument templates for it.

Lemur is the most complex, and I still haven't been able to get it connected properly (I'v only tried for a few minutes so far, the other 2 apps I suggested are VERY easy to connect and use).

Touch OSC is also good.

So there are a few I's spend money on in a second, I HIGHLY recommend them, ESPECIALLY the Yamaha one. Faders and XY Pad is it's proper name.

Upvote 0
Have you used ac-7 core. This is the one I have been playing with but I need to run 2 programs on my mac. One to convert midi to wifi and one to make track info and other messages show up on remote. I also had to configure Adhoc wifi And change my iPad to that And edit midi settings in osx. Are any easier to configure? The Yamaha and one other are close to $50 but expensive And I'm wondering how it compares to ac-7 core I paid les then $5 for?

Upvote 0
I found out ac7-core works with same program on Mac that the vcontrol app does. Both are awesome.. One thing though .. In vcontrol how can I scroll between channel faders but keep master on the screen at all times? Ac7-core does this. Also in vcontrol, how do I assign effects or plugins to a channel? I can see the plugins assigned Abd modify parameters but can't seem to figure out how to change what is assigned. For instance I assigned pitch to a vox channel. But now I want a different effect .. In ac7 I just use the little wheel to change. How in vcontrol?

Upvote 0
Ok so I have been playing with a few IPAD control surfaces.. they are great! HOWEVER, tonight I attempted to connect my ALESIS MULTIMIX FIREWIRE 12 to my IMAC. The Alesis is Firewire 400 and the mac is FIREWIRE 800. I have a cable that goes from 400 to 800 and it works fine with a firewire 400 hard drive. HOWEVER, the mac does not recognize the ALESIS MULTIMIX 12 FIREWIRE. I did some checking around on the net since I could not get ahold of alesis support. I see people saying using a 400 device in an 800 firewire computer does not provide enough power to the device.

That being said, It may appear I DO need to get a control surface and MIXER/audio interface... what do you recommend that wont break the bank...

BTW - Im not testing a remote for IPAD called DAW REMOTE HD. pretty nice... I cant decide which one I like the best. Its beween DAW CONTROL, DAW REMOTE HD and AC-7 .. I bought v-control pro which was $50 .. its good but I dont like the mixer layout. I want the master to stay on the screen when switching fader banks. All other programs do this...

Upvote 0
Found a great control surface app called Absum-8.. It's the best one I have tried. Since I cannot seem to find a control surface and audio interface that is inexpensive and works on osx 10.8 and with a 400 to 800 FireWire cable, maybe I can get a good audio Interface I can use with logic And control with iPad app. I'd like it to be able to do live mixing so when I don't use logic I can use it as a regular analog mixer.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Have you checked the V-Window control in V-Control?

Yes... Too confusing for me. I just do that with mouse and keyboard. Now I need a good multi channel interface or control surface and interface that works on osx 10.8

Really! :confused:

Sorry to insist, but my intention was to point at that great V-Control feature mainly because it simplifies tremendously the interaction with Logic and its plugins (and all the other software on your Mac): it simply bypasses the need for a mouse or a keyboard altogether! Your fingers are directly handling the very knobs, faders, etc of the plugins or Logic interface! It could not be simpler than that! Mental control would be the next step!:)

Control surfaces are fun and enhance your productivity. But necessarily force you into an extra learning curve: you need to master your control surface in order to interact efficiently with your target object (Logic), and that, while you are still struggling into taming Logic.

Well, that being said...:D

So, are you looking for just a control surface or one with a keyboard?

Upvote 0
what I am really looking for is a control surface and audio interface/mixer.. looks like one does not exist anymore. I wanted to use my ALESIS MULTIMIX 12 FIREWIRE but the new iMac doesnt see it so I need something else.. what is available under $1000? I want to also be able to use the audio interface as a regular analog mixer when not using LOGIC.

Have you checked the V-Window control in V-Control?

Yes... Too confusing for me. I just do that with mouse and keyboard. Now I need a good multi channel interface or control surface and interface that works on osx 10.8

Really! :confused:

Sorry to insist, but my intention was to point at that great V-Control feature mainly because it simplifies tremendously the interaction with Logic and its plugins (and all the other software on your Mac): it simply bypasses the need for a mouse or a keyboard altogether! Your fingers are directly handling the very knobs, faders, etc of the plugins or Logic interface! It could not be simpler than that! Mental control would be the next step!:)

Control surfaces are fun and enhance your productivity. But necessarily force you into an extra learning curve: you need to master your control surface in order to interact efficiently with your target object (Logic), and that, while you are still struggling into taming Logic.

Well, that being said...:D

So, are you looking for just a control surface or one with a keyboard?

Upvote 0
Back