Logic Pro X Issue with bass recording on Logic Pro X

Shona

Logician
Hi,

I have a slight problem that I was hoping someone could help with.

I am currently in the process of recording a cover of “Where The Streets Have No Name” by U2. I recorded the drums, synth and bass on Logic Pro X . However, I feel the bass is somewhat out of tune. Before recording it I made sure my bass was tuned to 440hz. I am struggling to work out why it sounds wrong to my ear. Two trusted musician colleagues have also listened to it and they also feel that it is slightly wrong, but again, can’t work out why.

I would really appreciate it if any of you could take a quick listen and let me know what you think!

Thanks so much,

Shona :)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iI9yGgKXebohnR00SGVUxGmC_7jkQBa8/view?usp=sharing

fuzzfilth

Logician
I guess that you pressed the strings too hard which makes a bass go sharp, as indicated by the pitch warble in a couple of spots. Check again with Logic's tuner when you play the actual notes.

Upvote 0

Shona

Logician
Thanks so much for this response! I tried to use flex pitch to fine tune the notes hoping that would fix the pitch but I still thought it was slightly off when listening to it :/

Upvote 0

fuzzfilth

Logician
Playing bass with a pick creates very strong overtones, maybe Flex Pitch zoned in on a higher partial which quite likely is not in equal temperament tuning, thus returning wrong fundamental pitch information.

Again - how does the bass sound and look on the tuner while you play it ?

Upvote 0

Shona

Logician
Playing bass with a pick creates very strong overtones, maybe Flex Pitch zoned in on a higher partial which quite likely is not in equal temperament tuning, thus returning wrong fundamental pitch information.

Again - how does the bass sound and look on the tuner while you play it ?
Thank you for this! When I was recording the bass I didn't have the tuner open. I only used the tuner b4 hand to tune my bass. I did notice though that the notes all seemed a bit too sharp when looking at them in flex pitch.

Upvote 0

fuzzfilth

Logician
Well, you can repeat the process. Tune the bass to alleged 440, then play it and look how it behaves on the Tuner. If fretted notes are sharp, you're pressing too hard.

There's little point in recording notes that are out of tune, so you may as well re-record it properly.

Upvote 0

Shona

Logician
Well, you can repeat the process. Tune the bass to alleged 440, then play it and look how it behaves on the Tuner. If fretted notes are sharp, you're pressing too hard.

There's little point in recording notes that are out of tune, so you may as well re-record it properly.
Ok thanks so much Christian for all your help. Much appreciated! :)

Upvote 0

Hexclock

Logician
Thanks so much for this response! I tried to use flex pitch to fine tune the notes hoping that would fix the pitch but I still thought it was slightly off when listening to it :/
Have you had your bass set up recently by a tech? I had never had my bass professionally set up until I went into the studio and it was night and day for tuning and intonation. It was also much easier to play with a lower action, so i needed a lighter touch on the strings. It’s so worth the money!

Upvote 0

Shona

Logician
Have you had your bass set up recently by a tech? I had never had my bass professionally set up until I went into the studio and it was night and day for tuning and intonation. It was also much easier to play with a lower action, so i needed a lighter touch on the strings. It’s so worth the money!
Thanks so much for your message! I haven't actually ever had my bass set up. But it is something I have been planning to do sometime soon. I heard that I can really improve the overall sound of your bass and I am hoping it maybe fixes this problem :) Thanks again

Upvote 0

Hexclock

Logician
Thanks so much for your message! I haven't actually ever had my bass set up. But it is something I have been planning to do sometime soon. I heard that I can really improve the overall sound of your bass and I am hoping it maybe fixes this problem :) Thanks again
Always glad to help a fellow bass player! It may not directly solve your issue, but it will certainly make your bass more enjoyable to play.

Upvote 0