Logic Pro 8 It's only taken 8 years, Logic is starting to make sense!

GLEA

Logician
I've been a Logic user for a while now, but it's not been my primary platform. When I went digital, 8 years ago, it was suggested I install both DP and Logic. I'm pretty comfortable with DP for the band stuff I do. Logic is a bit more complicated, and fussy for some thing. A couple of years ago I did the music for a indie film, and did most of the composing with Logic. Soon as that was done, I returned to a major band project and only opened Logic to record some demos and occasionally used some of the instruments for the album.

Now that that is out of the way, I decided I'd better make myself more familiar with Logic, and work out some of the fuzzy issues. I've been doing some music for ski films. I posted a link to those songs over here https://logic-users-group.com/forums/threads/music-for-ski-films.2640/

I've also started digging back through this forum to see what I could see. I have some questions, but when I see the usual answer is "read the %#**@ manual, I decided to hold that thought for now. The Manual is now on my lap every free moment. I figured I had better start on page 1 as I feel I've missed some crucial things. Low and behold, there are the answers to the first couple of questions I had.

The bad news is I don't think I want to upgrade to 9 until I can afford an Intel Mac. Everything is running well on 10.4.11 and I don't want to upset that when I'm busy.

What I do like about Logic is how fast I can bang out tracks. A loop here, some soft synths there, strumming, bassing, a little editing... and I've got something to show. I'm finally learning how to maneuver around with out clicking on the automation envelopes, how to set zoom levels (man this was really buggin' me) and how to navigate markers.

The one thing I will ask now is: would someone be willing to share they key commands with me? I've set a few, but I bet one of you Logic wise guys will have a really well thought out custom set.

I'll get back to you when I hit another roadblock. :thmbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
i tend to try and double my KC with whatever is the equivalent in my pro tools set up.. this way i minimize having to learn two sets. there are exceptions of course, but this is the general route ive taken.. perhaps copying the DP equivalents maybe helpful..
if you plan to ever do the certification, stick with what apple has given you as thats what they test on ( apparently).

FTR my three fav KC are 1- play from left window edge, 2- capture as recording ( which captures the last midi you played) 3- set locators by region/events

i encourage you to find the set that works for you..

best,
L

Upvote 0
I just learned the standard set, and create a few custom one on my F keys like capture last take (works for midi and audio if you have "Punch on the fly" selected in the audio menu).

The other thing is if you use Protools there is a Protools key command set in the presets.

George Leger III

Upvote 0
The bad news is I don't think I want to upgrade to 9 until I can afford an Intel Mac. Everything is running well on 10.4.11 and I don't want to upset that when I'm busy.

:thmbup:

The good news about your bad news is- you can't run Logic 9 until you have an Intel Mac to run it on- Logic 9 is Intel Mac only : )

Upvote 0

The good news about your bad news is- you can't run Logic 9 until you have an Intel Mac to run it on- Logic 9 is Intel Mac only : )

Right.. I can't afford a new studio computer this year... so it's a moot point.

Some folks suggested I adapt PT Key Commands, but since I clearly don't use PT this isn't an option. I find the difference between Logic and DP significantly different, enough that just porting over DP KC's wouldn't really work. Surely there must be someone proud enough of their kc set to want to share?

When I'm working in Logic, it's a whole different game, and I treat it as a different experience from Performer. For me, Logic is a more solitary game, where DP usually means I'm working with someone else.

Upvote 0

There are users reporting success running Logic 9 on G5s....

mk3

Upvote 0
Well, I've got a few important commands programmed, and I've learned a few others that I can use right away... Got a new piece started while doing so. Probably the best way to learn.

The goal is to make music. I like being able to put the mouse down and do most of the work on the keyboard. I can see it's moving faster today.

Upvote 0

That is correct, that was with Logic 9.0, 9.0.1 and 9.0.2. Logic 9.1 cannot be run on a PPC Mac. It is safe to assume that it will be Intel only from now on.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0

That is correct, that was with Logic 9.0, 9.0.1 and 9.0.2. Logic 9.1 cannot be run on a PPC Mac. It is safe to assume that it will be Intel only from now on.

kind regards

Mark

That's too bad....Do you happen to know if 9.1 projects are backwards compatible with 9.0x?

Best,
mk3

Upvote 0
Do you happen to know if 9.1 projects are backwards compatible with 9.0x?

In principle they are compatible. A future caveat could however be, projects in 9.1 which take advantage of logic 9.1's 64 bit memory space - in other words, are running vast amounts of samples on a computer with a lot of RAM installed - won't open in 9.0.x due to it's restricted 32 bit memory space.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
I would suggest programming your own key commands as you need them. Once you get used to hitting "Option-K" -- just do a search to bring up things you wish you could do. If you enter the key command you want to use first, and it is already assigned, Logic will show what it does. I highly recommend David Dvorin's book, "Advanced Logic Pro 7" or "Logic Pro 8: Beyond the Basics" or the not yet released "Logic Pro 9 Advanced Music Production" if you want to wade into deep waters gradually (I run Logic 9.02 on a G5). It gets you used to doing a lot of advanced features with the aid of a disk with very helpful sample files, and builds on adding key commands. My favorite hardware add-on is a Contour Design Shuttle Pro Version 2 jog wheel. In additional to jogging, it has fifteen programmable buttons. These can be programmed to any key commands you want. It costs about $100, just plug into a USB port and load the driver. Things like solo, mute, play, record, stop, set marker, goto beginning...or just scrolling along, etc. I bought it for a PC for use with Vegas video editing, but it works great on a Mac for Logic as well. You do have to program the key commands yourself. Happy to share those with you if you pop for one.

Upvote 0
I would suggest programming your own key commands as you need them. Once you get used to hitting "Option-K" -- just do a search to bring up things you wish you could do. If you enter the key command you want to use first, and it is already assigned, Logic will show what it does. I highly recommend David Dvorin's book, "Advanced Logic Pro 7" or "Logic Pro 8: Beyond the Basics" or the not yet released "Logic Pro 9 Advanced Music Production" if you want to wade into deep waters gradually (I run Logic 9.02 on a G5). It gets you used to doing a lot of advanced features with the aid of a disk with very helpful sample files, and builds on adding key commands. My favorite hardware add-on is a Contour Design Shuttle Pro Version 2 jog wheel. In additional to jogging, it has fifteen programmable buttons. These can be programmed to any key commands you want. It costs about $100, just plug into a USB port and load the driver. Things like solo, mute, play, record, stop, set marker, goto beginning...or just scrolling along, etc. I bought it for a PC for use with Vegas video editing, but it works great on a Mac for Logic as well. You do have to program the key commands yourself. Happy to share those with you if you pop for one.

Ah, back on topic, and some good advice. I'll look into the shuttle pro. I have slowly been adding commands that I'm familiar with from DP. I"ll also investigate the book you've mentioned.

One more thing... did I miss something? If you have the Markers list opened, can you navigate markers from there by clicking on the entry? In DP you can, but I can not make it do anything over here on Logic. I know you can edit locations, which is nice. If you've give markers a name, the Go To Marker # command isn't much help as it is looking for a number, and the numbers change as you add markers.

making progress and music for a better world

Upvote 0
With your marker list open, hold down the command key while you click on the names of your markers. You can also assign key commands to navigate markers. Or, with the global view off, you can hold down command and click in the name of the marker in the bottom half of the bar ruler--to go to the beginning of the marker--or by double-clicking with the command key down, you can start play from the beginning of the marker.

As nifty as they are, key commands can flip me out. [Option-m] will bring up my marker list, but [Command-m] will minimize the current window.

Upvote 0
With your marker list open, hold down the command key while you click on the names of your markers. You can also assign key commands to navigate markers. Or, with the global view off, you can hold down command and click in the name of the marker in the bottom half of the bar ruler--to go to the beginning of the marker--or by double-clicking with the command key down, you can start play from the beginning of the marker.

As nifty as they are, key commands can flip me out. [Option-m] will bring up my marker list, but [Command-m] will minimize the current window.

thanks...that one was driving me crazee

Upvote 0
Back