Logic Pro 9 Just wondering....

d.el.0.ecks.

I am fairly new to Logic 9, and really computer audio programs in general. Right now, i have a project open with about 4-5 tracks that consist of two measures of drums in each. My question is, is there a way for me to connect a MIDI keyboard or something to my computer, so that i can trigger tracks individually?

I have to admit the urge to be a bit sarcastic when answering a question that shows a complete lack of interest in the topic the questions is about.... but I won't be.

First off, Logic Pro is designed to use a keyboard for midi data input, so yes, there is a way. You can buy something as simple as a little Korg Nano keyboard, all the way up to a Yamaha Disklavier, depends on how much $$ you want to spend and how many types of features you want.

Before you go into deciding any of this stuff, I would suggest you take a look at Mac Pro Video for some tutorials so you can get a better picture of what can be done, and what the tools are you will want to have/use.

the best this I know for a basic overview of Logic is the little manual that comes with the application, Exploring Logic Pro. You can get it here if you lost your install boxes: http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/

Also, a quick google search regarding midi brought up this: http://leftandwrite.com/brian/music/beginners_guide_to_midi.php
Might be a good place to start looking for the info you need.

Now, all this said, you will have to spend some time reading manuals, or even a few magazines (Future Music or Computer Music magazine from the UK has a DVD included with each issue that has great articles on midi, sequencing, synth programming, etc).

These types of products (Logic Pro) are so complex that you are required to invest some of your own time learning. Because this time I was nice, and I'm sure some others will also be nice. Some people on the other hand, would tear you a new butt for being so lazy to ask a question like this when there is SO MUCH information available to get on the internet with such a SMALL amount of effort on your part.

Upvote 0
Sorry , I can't resist to ask the following question, not directed to d.ed.O.ecks so don't interpret this as the "not-so nice" response.

Is it possible that these generic types of questions pop up more and more across various forums where a Logic user makes his first post and ask "now how do I use it". I'm wondering if on the Boing 747 user forum there are similar posts " I just got myself one of those 747 and I heard you can take them up in the air, so how do I do that, what button should I press first"

Is this a symptom of the kids nowadays. I try not to finger point to the US education system because the forums are international and those problems seem to have no boundaries.

George, I admire your style and politeness how you respond, where other people would just throw a harsh RTFM back. But it is disturbing to see a complete lack of effort (or interest) to learn the underlying basics. The confusing part is that often those generic questions can be resolved and answered much faster with a quick google search or a trip to Wikipedia.

Upvote 0
An old friend asked if I could advise his son on the music business. Turns out, he's a rapper who wanted me to teach him how to "make beats." I had no idea where to start. I was making beats with my teeth as I walked home from middle school, and it was all anyone could do to stop me once I got near actual gear.

Maybe it just looks easier now, so more people are getting into it. Remember how small and rickety Guitar Center stores used to be.

Upvote 0
Maybe it's a Staples Easy Button mentality.
Or maybe the immediacy of information access available on the web.

Setting Up Your System in the User Manual is an excellent reference with many illustrated examples.

There's a joke I tell that usually doesn't elicit any laughs.
"Wanna know something? Read a book!"

Upvote 0
Or a magazine. I read every issue of Keyboard and EM that I could get a hold of.

Or a.. website... :D

(I should have added "up hill, both ways" to the above as well.)

Upvote 0
Interesting (off topic) Topic ....

Looking back to when I was starting out and trying to find out everything I could about recording, mixing, live sound etc., information was hard to come by, especially in my home country of Ireland. That was the late 70's early 80's. No internet, very few books, the occasional magazine article. That information that was out there to be found, more often than not looking over the shoulders of others, was precious and as such, taken in in its entirety, used, practiced and developed on. Now, with so much available at the click of a mousebutton, it seems to me that not only are we overwhelmed with so much information (I might add, of greatly varying quality, so we need to be able to sort out the good from the not-so-good) but the ever present availability of this leads us into a very dangerous state of mind. Rather than learning it, just google when you need it. It is something I am always warning my children about.

I also think that there is an increasing element of " I just want to make beatz". The phrase: "You don't know what you don't know" seems to describe this quite well.

Now, where is that Smiley?

Ah yes: :ooold:

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Markdv and Glenn I know exactly what you mean. That urge to tap into every source available to gain knowledge about the field we are s passionate about. I remember when I started out doing internships, I always looked out for those studio magazines that where lying around that I either couldn't afford or didn't have access to it. In a pre-internet era that was a way how to learn how compressors and EQ work or understand tape BIAS or the evolving technology of PCM digital audio. Getting all serious and going to school to learn the basics about acoustic, Isophones, making the connection between what you are seeing on a scope and listen to the sound when the signal goes to various stages - all that seems way too much nowadays. Problem is that all those shiny little (dirt cheap and accessible) toys are function based on those principles, that get ignored left and right.

But look around, every bit of information (and misinformation) is available at your fingertip and "those kids" seem even too lazy to do a little search or don't know how to do a proper search (boolean search, anybody) in the first place.

Or maybe those are just exception and most of the kids now are are really hard at studying and have the same passion and work ethics that we have - I hope so.

Upvote 0
That urge to tap into every source available to gain knowledge about the field we are s passionate about. I remember when I started out doing internships, I always looked out for those studio magazines that where lying around that I either couldn't afford or didn't have access to it.

Hehe, exactly Edgar! I still have some Studiosound copies from the 80s lying around. Figuratively speaking, I wore the ink off the pages of those magazines!

Or maybe those are just exception and most of the kids now are are really hard at studying and have the same passion and work ethics that we have - I hope so.

I definitely think that this is the case, there are plenty of phenomenally gifted kids around, and they have to prove themselves in much more formal ways. I have worked with quite a few graduates of a local university in Duesseldorf, all are highly competent and talented, both as musicians and engineers. Getting into that school, or for that matter any of a miriad of others, requires passing a very stringent assessment, money doesn't help.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Back