Logic Pro 9 Key Commands on the Numeric KeyPad

bayswater

Logician
I am trying to set some Key Commands on the Numeric Key Pad and even with the "key position" option selected, it looks like Logic sees the key pad numbers and the top row keyboard numbers as the same thing. Is there a way to distinguish them?

Perfect example of when to use the Learn by Key Position command.

oops - just re-read you post. So this doesn't work?? Maybe you have to break the key assignments to the QWERTY number keys. I wouldn't have guessed that would be the case....

I just tested it here (I'm on Lion) and you're right but what I mention above does the trick.

I assigned (by key position) the number 9 on the numeric keypad to a save function. It told me that was already assigned (to screenset 9)and did I want to change it. I selected yes. Going to the QWERTY number 9 evoked the same save function. However, when I re-assigned (by key position) this key to recall screenset 9, it did so and my numeric keypad 9 still did the save function.

Not sure if this is a current quirk and needed work-around or if it's always been like this.

Upvote 0
Doug, that's what I'm doing, or at least I thought I said that in the post. I get a message saying the key is already assigned to a screen set.

Upvote 0
And when you get that message, select re-assign or delete (whatever it says). So what I did was to assign the numeric key to what I wanted, then re-assign the qwerty key back to the screen set - all using learn by position.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I see now. I must have had both number keys assigned to the screen set. When I reassigned the numeric pad key, the qwerty key remained assigned to the key set.

Upvote 0
You guys have already figured this out. But I just wanted to jump in and add that logic has always, by default, had both the qwerty numbers and the numeric key pad numbers assigned to recalling screen sets.

If you look in the key commands window, you can see that those numbers are assigned by "key label" not "key position". You can tell because there is a little icon that appears to the immediate left of the key assignment when key position is used. The absence of this icon indicates key label was used.

So to separate the two different number sets, as you have found, you just need to re-assign each by key position rather than key label.

Upvote 0
Thanks for jumping in Eli. I realized this once I started re-assigning. I also noticed that Logic won't let you assign a key command that is being used at the OS level. A good thing, I suppose.

Upvote 0
logic has always, by default, had both the qwerty numbers and the numeric key pad numbers assigned to recalling screen sets.

this I knew.....

a little icon that appears to the immediate left of the key assignment when key position is used. The absence of this icon indicates key label was used.

this too I knew...

you just need to re-assign each by key position rather than key label.

This I didn't remember - I thought by assigning one of them to the "by position" would leave the other intact. I didn't realize both needed this assignment.

Thanks for clarification.

Upvote 0
I seem to recall that it wasn't until relatively recent versions of Logic that the screen set assignments were editable. I don't think they were assignable in the key command list until maybe v. 7? Does this ring a bell Doug?

Upvote 0
you just need to re-assign each by key position rather than key label.

This I didn't remember - I thought by assigning one of them to the "by position" would leave the other intact. I didn't realize both needed this assignment.

Thanks for clarification.
Actually, I didn't have to do this. I just reassign the numeric keypad value to a new command and screen set assignment to the same number remained intact and continued to be triggered by the qwerty value.

Upvote 0
Back