Logic Studio apps L9/Mainstage 2

OK, sounds like you need to map your transport screen controls you mentioned - do this at the concert level (that way one controller is set up to control any patch, set or concert level Playback plug-in.) Click on the concert folder icon in the patch list to make sure you're in the correct level.

The original template has these controls mapped that way. (Not sure how/why you broke that mapping) They will copy to each patch like that -use that template's mapping as an example of what to recreate.

All of these concepts are explained in detail in my MainStage DVD - if you do get it and go through it, you should be a near -genius!! :thmbup:

I cannot wait to get your DVD. Just staying on top of bills, gotta tread water for a couple more weeks.

I've sent you another template file with some questions. Maybe that way I can ask the right questions for once?

Got your file. It all comes down to mapping at the correct level.
Take your file, go to layout mode. Select concert icon in Patch List. Select text field in work area you want to map. Inspector below will update, including mapping tab. Select that and look at mapping. The three fields should be mapped to Current Patch. One of them was, but not working. I had to break the mapping and reassign it. It works now. The others are assigned to Current Set, thus will only change when you are in a different set. As you had only one set in your concert, you'd never see it update.

I created a new set with a patch - look at that before you remap anything. You'll get file in e-mail.

FWIW, it's OK to have certain parameters unmapped at any given level. The exclamation marks are annoying to look at, but harmless. Perhaps in MS 3.0 there will be a Hide Unused Controls choice (tip to Apple.... you guys do read this, right?)

Moderators, I'd be happy to post project file for others to view, but it exceeds maximum size for a zip file (195.3 KB, zipped file is around 425 KB). Storage must be at a premium so that a basic empty project file can't be posted?

Moderators Thanks!! File added
View attachment this folder acts a s a filter - it only shows channel strips and mapping at the concert level.zip

Ah, thank you, sir. Thank you very much indeed.

I agree, it would be helpful to post files bigger than 193 KB, but I understand space is money. I can't be the only one with MainStage questions about live performance.

Thanks Doug. Be well.

Doug,

Is "Export All Tracks as Audio Files" under L9 File menu a good way to load tracks into MS? I've created a Desktop folder for Bounces and export into that, then drag/drop from there into MS. It seems to work for changing the Midi Files. I say that because when I Bounce-Replace All Tracks, L9 quits when it normalizes the midi files.

Nate,

Export all tracks as audio files should be a fine choice. Just make sure all your tracks are the same length (probably song start to end). It will trim off MIDI track lengths if there is no activity before the end of the song. That is to say if your song goes to bar 40 and you have a MIDI region that has no activity after bar 30, the resultant audio file will be from bar one to bar 30, not to song end at bar 40 (there are work-arounds....)

Logic shouldn't quit on you like that. You may have a corrupt file, to little RAM or a faulty hard drive.........

Keep plugging away!

... On importation into MS, I'm using the 8 Backing Track template ... I say that because after I 'Bounce in Place' all tracks in Logic and drag/drop them individually into MS, the insert effects and automation are not there upon Playback (although it looks beautiful to see the little wave files above the tracks)...

Can I piggy on this one please? I too am using the 8 backing track template. I have about 24 source tracks in the Logic song and have bounced* them in groups to come up with (Drums, Lead vocal, backing vocals, keys, bass, a-guitars, e-guitars) AIFF files c/w markers. All the same length

Dragged into MS playbacks all works great so far. I can mute any MS track (containing the groups of Logic tracks) if that player/singer happens to be there and the rest play out thru the PA with a click into the band IEMs.

I'm hoping there is a better way than sequentially bouncing (*above) the (soloed) groups of Logic tracks. It works but takes a while. I have heard (but not read about) Mainstage groups but I'm thinking that the fewer the MS playbacks the better (as I assume they all have to be in MS RAM). What's the best practice on this Doug?

I think your technique is fine. Bouncing stems make a lot of sense, albeit perhaps slow.

One thought - and I'm not near my computer with Logic to test this so this is speculation...... It may be possible to use surround format to bounce out five useful stems at once. They could be mono or some combination of mono/stereo.

I don't think MainStage will care about the surround sound appendages on the files - you could always delete or rename them anyway.

Transport controls mapped to qwerty keys on Mac?

....to map your transport screen controls you mentioned - do this at the concert level (that way one controller is set up to control any patch, set or concert level Playback plug-in.) ...
All of these concepts are explained in detail in my MainStage DVD - :

Doug,

instead of using a midi controller for MS transport controls, is it possible to map qwerty keys from the mac - for example, the space bar for start/stop? I looked on your DVD but haven't found it yet!

Obviously some keys do things (like advance the patch). Can I learn others?

Doug,

instead of using a midi controller for MS transport controls, is it possible to map qwerty keys from the mac - for example, the space bar for start/stop? I looked on your DVD but haven't found it yet!

Obviously some keys do things (like advance the patch). Can I learn others?

Someone on a forum suggested with Logic open with the caps lock keyboard you could map (it shows up in the Device popup menu in the layout mode window). I tried it briefly but couldn't get it to work.

You do have some key commands available - look in the chapter on that. You can find the Command Editor window by MainStage>Commands>Customize. In the command list area select All MainStage Commands to see what is available.

Doug, I just just wanted to thank you again for your help. I've just downloaded the MS_Explained from G3 and about an hour into it. Looks like it'll have everything I need, but possibly more important, give me the know-how to get started down my own path.

Cheers, my friend.

Back