Logic Pro (X) Library/Channel Strip problems

JackOats

Logician
Hi All,

Have spent hours on this!

Could anyone explain, please, why I have no Sound Library at A, and a very limited set of controls on the channel strip at B.

Many thanks.

LOGICpane.Screenshot 2020-10-09 at 18.31.07.png

Because you are looking at a MIDI track which is used to play an external MIDI-keyboard or -module. There are no sounds and thus no sound library for a MIDI track. Create a Software Instrument track or an Audio track.

Upvote 0
Hi fuzzfilth,

Thanks very much for the reply. Tried to load a Software track & then an Audio track but that returns the error messages below:

MaxNumberSoftwareTracks.Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 10.45.12.PNG

MaxNumberAudioTracks.Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 10.47.35.PNG

The "1000" figure is crazy - I only have about 5 or 6 projects & none of them have more than a couple of instruments loaded up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also ... when I click on New (Project) this message box comes up:

NewProject.Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 12.26.45.PNG

'External MIDI' button is highlighted but the other 5 buttons are greyed out & cannot be selected?noget:

Upvote 0
Thanks - but when I click Apply I get this 'Initializing Audio' box + the dreaded revolving Beachball which lasts for ever & never produces any results:

InitializingAudio.Screenshot 2020-10-10 at 23.12.52.PNG

Upvote 0
Well, then basic troubleshooting procedure

- Has this ever worked correctly ?
- Has this never worked correctly ?
- If it has happened suddenly, what had changed prior to that ? (new audio interface, new plugin, Logic update, OS update, new computer etc. etc.)
- Did you try a restart ?
- Did you try a cold reboot, including switching the audio interface off and on ?
- Did you allow access to the audio hardware ?
- Does it happen with only the built-in audio input *and* output ?
- Does it happen after logging in as a new user ?

Upvote 0
Wow! O.K. Here goes>
- Has this ever worked correctly ?
I bought Logic about 5 years ago, used it for a little while, haven't really used it much 'till recently - & experienced all these problems.
- Has this never worked correctly ?
As I say it was O.K. at first.
- If it has happened suddenly, what had changed prior to that ? (new audio interface, new plugin, Logic update, OS update, new computer etc. etc.)
Updated OS to Catalina. Delated Logic & redownloaded but that didn't help.
- Did you try a restart ?
Several times.
- Did you try a cold reboot, including switching the audio interface off and on ?
Not sure what a 'cold reboot' is, sorry.
- Did you allow access to the audio hardware ?
When I allow access to the Input Device (Preferences/Devices/AudioBox USB) - nothing happens. If I change to System Settings I get the Initializing Audio stalemate.
- Does it happen with only the built-in audio input *and* output ?
It happens all the time - something is really amiss.
- Does it happen after logging in as a new user ?
Haven't tried that. Not sure how to do that I'm afraid.

Upvote 0
it was O.K. at first.
...but that was five years ago, right ?
Not sure what a 'cold reboot' is, sorry.
Switch the computer and hardware off, wait a minute, switch it on again.

Did you try deleting Logic's preferences in you>Library>Preferences ?

Not sure how to do that I'm afraid.
Go to System Preferences>Users&Groups and create a new user account with admin privileges. Then log out and log in as this new user to get a clean slate. Check if you can get Logic running (first with the built in IO, if that works, try AudioBox USB).

Upvote 0
Hi Christian,

Well, tried a 'cold boot' - no change.

try deleting Logic's preferences in you>Library>Preferences
Went to HD/users/<myname>/Library/Preferences but couldn't find anything like 'Logic preferences'.

Created a new User account. The first time I opened Logic I was inundated with error messages saying no licence could be found for a variety of Softube apps. So I deleted everything I could find of Softube in Applications & Downloads.
The second time I opened Logic - things are just the same - no improvement.

Upvote 0
Now this is strange indeed.

Launching Logic from a new user account is done to circumvent any and all stuff that could have been warped in the original user account. So it usually is a bare-bones-but-at-least-it-works environment. If that doesn't work out, then the problem lies in the commonly used stuff.

Are you sure your Audiobox and its drivers are ready to run on Catalina ? But then, you should be able to launch with the built-in IO without troubles.

Also, Logic 10.5 and up have a new, stricter plugin-validation routine during the first startup which can take *a while*. For how long did you let the spinning rainbow wheel run ? Try letting it run for half a day, it might just sort itself out.

Upvote 0
Are you sure your Audiobox and its drivers are ready to run on Catalina ?

Went to AUDIOBOX website. On their Download page I see that: 'This product has been discontinued'.

So I looked in the Audiobox 'Quick Start Guide' for info on drivers & found this statement:

AudioBoxGuide.Screenshot 2020-10-12 at 10.02.28.PNG

But, there is a software download offered for a Universal Control for macOS Catalina. Would that be something different to a driver?

Upvote 0
We wouldn't know before trying it. It would have to be explicitly compatible to Catalina, though. On the other hand, it's not that you could break anything that's not broken already. But then, I'd still rather get built-in IO working first, then go from there.

Upvote 0
Back