Logic Pro 9 Lion and Logic 9

Edgold

Logician
I don't know who's familiar with the topic as Lion is new. The download is inexpensive but I don't know how compatible it is with the iMac and I certainly don't know how compatible it is with Logic 9.

I also don't know how good an idea it is to get any new OS as opposed to waiting till the worst bugs get ironed out.

Anyone familiar with this?

No compelling reason at all. It was just a curiosity and I'd be just as happy to stick with Snow Leopard for the moment.

I still occasionally use Harmony Assistant (Myriad software) mostly for exporting my old files.

Upvote 0
There's already a thread about this in the Mac OS section. The bottom line is that 9.1.4 works pretty much OK but that some third party plug-ins don't. My personal experience is also exactly that.

You're gonna have to check with each manufacturer to see if your audio interface or MIDI controller etc works with Lion or not.

Upvote 0
All of your reserves expressed in your original message applies and stand

I personally always wait for about 2-3 months after all my 3rd party software's providers have upgraded their versions before going for the OS update/upgrade, and that on the Mac or PC world... There has always been further bug ironing process following the OS changes vs 3rd party updates...

Upvote 0
Just for the record. Logic 9.14 doesn't work "pretty much ok". It works ok. There are some 3rdware plugins that don't validate but they work as usual. It's just that "pretty much" indicates that there are some, if just a few, problems and I haven't noticed any so far that wasn't already there.

Upvote 0
Just for the record. Logic 9.14 doesn't work "pretty much ok". It works ok. There are some 3rdware plugins that don't validate but they work as usual. It's just that "pretty much" indicates that there are some, if just a few, problems and I haven't noticed any so far that wasn't already there.

Hehehe, I was pretty much quoting you from the thread over at the Mac OS:
"Without being completely sure it does seem like this update works pretty much as it should."

:)

But so far, I agree. My only issue is with one AU not validating.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Rosetta dependent application compatibility

Anyone using the Lion OS ever tested some Rosetta-dependent-application? (such as ClockWorks from MOTU to pilot the MTP-AV to be more precise!)

Upvote 0
Rosetta has been officially dropped in Lion. There are countless articles on Mac sites that warn about this. If you have Power-PC/Rosetta apps that are critical for your workflow, then Lion is not an option at present. For non-critical apps, you could keep a Snow Leopard partition and boot into this for Rosetta apps - not nice, or ideal.

We might well see some means of running Rosetta in the future via emulation/3rd party software, but only time will tell.....

Upvote 0
Rosetta has been officially dropped in Lion. There are countless articles on Mac sites that warn about this. If you have Power-PC/Rosetta apps that are critical for your workflow, then Lion is not an option at present. For non-critical apps, you could keep a Snow Leopard partition and boot into this for Rosetta apps - not nice, or ideal.

We might well see some means of running Rosetta in the future via emulation/3rd party software, but only time will tell.....
Well that leaves me out for the moment at least. I use Rosetta to run Harmony Assistant etc.

Upvote 0
I installed it on an external drive.

Running Logic in 32bit mode, Automat, and Plugsound pro, are the only AU that didn't pass AU eval.
Haven't checked for updates yet.

iLok apps seem to work, Melodyne standalone work, haven't tested the plug.

All Pace installers and PPC apps have been tombstoned.

Only apps I lost were the apps bundled with my Epson printer.

:thmbup:

Upvote 0
There is an update available for Automat, works fine.

Plugsound Pro has been discontinued, but you can upgrade your libraries to the UVI soundcard format.

The Motu Mach Five, and BPM can open the libraries, or the FREE UVI Workstation. Requires an iLok.

:thmbup:

Upvote 0
i'm still on 10.5.8 and everything works perfect, and as usual i will not update osx until i'm forced to do it.
if you want to work and not to struggle with incompatibilities update only when it's necessary and you can't avoid that, my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
Anyone using ClockWorks for MOTU MIDITimePiece AV without Rosetta (does that exist?)
If so, how does it behave on Lion?

Upvote 0
I can certainly see the point in not upgrading but obviously the possibility of finding bugs, and fixing them, increases a lot when people actually use the software.
There is no way that Apple can find them all so just waiting for the upgrade to work perfectly is only a solution as long as some people don't.
I have chosen to upgrade because I started a new longrunning project last tuesday and therefore had the opportunity to just use "whatever works" in the beginning. It's basically audiobased and the first couple of months will just be arranging and audio recording based on outboard stuff.
I figured that Logic would work since it's an Apple application and gambled that the Raydat audiocard also would (and it did). I wouldn't need anything else but as it turned out everything works although there are minor quirks but nothing serious.
The point is that this time I took the chance but next time I may not (if I'm in the middle of something) but hopefully somebody else will.

Upvote 0
i'm still on 10.5.8 and everything works perfect, and as usual i will not update osx until i'm forced to do it.
if you want to work and not to struggle with incompatibilities update only when it's necessary and you can't avoid that, my 2 cents.
I've updated to 10.6.8 (apparently a pre-Lion update) and it's fine.

But I agree; I will wait till it becomes absolutely necessary.

Upvote 0
I've been lying awake worrying: what will Apple do when it runs out of cats?

Well with over 30 genera in the mammal family Felidae it's likely that computer technology as we know it will be become extinct before there's a problem...

Rz

Upvote 0
Anyone using ClockWorks for MOTU MIDITimePiece AV without Rosetta (does that exist?)
If so, how does it behave on Lion?

Unless MOTU decides to update, Clockworks is dead under Lion. Fine by me, I hadn't booted it two years at least, but if you need it, it will not run.

Upvote 0
Back