Logic Pro X Live mixing using Logic Pro X

Hearitsound

I’m working on a sound design for a live mix job this summer. Most of the time, I’m just running everything through a board and a fairly bare-bones setup, however this time I’m considering leveraging my interfaces and plugins to run everything in the box on my computer and mix through Logic Pro X. The idea is appealing to me, at least theoretically, mainly due to my lack of outboard efx processing (reverb, compression, graphic EQ, etc.) and the ability to set up and test the signal chains ahead of time to maximize the ability to plug-and-play.

I have the input channels mapped out on a spreadsheet, along with the appropriate outputs for individual headphone mixes and the main outputs, so I think I’m good there. My question really is: has anyone in this group tried something like this, and if so what was your experience? What worked well, what didn’t, what would you change next time?

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
Latency is one major issue you may be faced with. Which interfaces are you using? Which sort of latency settings - buffer I/O and the like - do you intend to use? Have you tried this out using live performers, in a realistic live rehearsal situation?
FWIW, mixing live I use a Midas M32, augmented by logic on a mac book pro which I can use to record multitrack and/or as an effects engine for Reverb, Delay, Modulation - in other words, effects which are not directly inserted in a sginal path as is the case with channel eq and compression and therefore not quite as time critical.

kind regards

Mark

Hexclock

Logician
I ran into the latency issue doing this once. I was running live sound for a fundraiser for the second year. The first year I had a simple mixer, but the second time I used my Logic rig (Logic 9 at the time) so I could use reverbs and such. I have a basic Presonus interface, and I didn't have any trouble with the live bands, but when a couple of DJ's played they definitely noticed, and pointed out to me, that they could feel the latency. I ended up bypassing my rig straight to the mixer for them, problem solved. I would suggest, as Mark has, experimenting beforehand to dial in the latency settings.

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
Rule 1:
Don't think about a studio mix but rather find your plugins with minimal or no latency which do the job, even if they are not optimal. In most cases a live performance is action, not technical perfection.

Rule 2:
Spend time in the Logic Environment. Disable all plugins and instruments and mute channelstrips which are not envolved while playing a certain patch. Making a playlist of this kind in Logic takes a while but if you want to use Logic live, it finally pays. When you disable everything you can, Logic may switch patches faster than Mainstage and may use less computer power.

Rule 3:
Be careful with reverb. The location adds it's own reverb. Delay is often a better choice.

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, but for another reason: Outdoors your sound dies quickly and so does any diffuse reverb. You may use a little reverb to keep your basic sound, preferably early reflections, apart from that use anything that fits from slap delay to multiple echoes.