Logic Pro X Logic 10.7.4 alternative track not menu showing up

Ahabooster

Hey, I'm unable to get the alternative track menu in the latest version of Logic.
This videos shows the problem: Screencastify
I use a Macbook Air M1 with Mac OS Monterey

Has anyone encountered this issue? Solution?
Thx

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
Hi there, welcome to the LUG. Sorry if this is a little obvious, but have you selected track alternatives in logic - settings - recording?

FWIW, track alternatives are fine here. Logic 10.7.4, MacOS 12.4, 2019 intel mac book pro.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0

Ahabooster

Thanks for your reply... are referring to takes in take folders? If so, this is very different from track alternatives.
This video explains what track alternatives are and why they are very useful:

Upvote 0

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
No, I am not referring to takes folders. I am well aware of the difference between track alternatives and takes folders. Anyway, I assume in your case, you have chosen create track alternative over create take folder, create new track, create track and mute, or (midi only) merge, merge current recording only, overlap, overlap/merge selected regions in the appropriate menu. If so, and you still can't access track alternatives, the question remains - why?

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0

Ahabooster

I learned something. I did not realize you could choose between take folder and track alternatives in preferences.

But that was not the issue. This is how I got the track alternative menu back:

1. I had to open Logic without any project (holding option and double clicking the app icon to open it)
  2. then create a new project (and check if the track alternative menu shows up: it does)
  3. then open the file I'm working on, which then displays the track alternative.

This means the file is not corrupted.

That's really strange behavior...

Upvote 0

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
I learned something. I did not realize you could choose between take folder and track alternatives in preferences.

OK, glad to be of help!
But that was not the issue. This is how I got the track alternative menu back:

1. I had to open Logic without any project (holding option and double clicking the app icon to open it)

Or, if I may make a suggestion. Once more we go into preferences: Logic Pro - Settings - General - Project Handling - Startup Action. Here you can select "Do Nothing".

FTR that is what I use.
kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0

Ahabooster

Or, if I may make a suggestion. Once more we go into preferences: Logic Pro - Settings - General - Project Handling - Startup Action. Here you can select "Do Nothing".
Great idea! It removes a couple steps in this convoluted work around. I even added to it by having "create new empty project" rather than "do nothing". As logic needs a blank project, that I close without saving it, to act normally on the existing project.

Thanks!

Upvote 0