Logic Pro 9 Logic 9.1.3 released

mmm42

Logician
About the Logic Pro 9.1.3 update

• Resolves an issue introduced in Logic 9.1.2 where Logic might quit unexpectedly when opening if the Native Instruments Kontakt 4 Memory Server was already open.
  • Resolves an issue introduced in Logic 9.1.2 where the Pedalboard stompboxes "Classic Wah" and "Modern Wah" sometimes stopped responding to mouse input.
  • Logic will no longer stop responding during launch if the TouchOSC Control Surface plug-in is being used and the utility application from Objective Development called Little Snitch is configured to deny network access to Logic.
  • Resolves an issue in Logic 9.1.2 that caused Logic to open fewer audio processing threads on i7 Quad-core Mac computers than it did in 9.1.1.
  • Resolves an issue in Logic 9.1.2 where flattening and merging a Take Folder could result in an empty audio region if another track was soloed during the operation.

It looks like there is now a function allowing the user to allocate threads (cores?) to Logic:

20101028-8wrwix6njinj65icksyg6fh92d.jpg

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
So far 9.1.3 seems a definite improvement on the previous. I actually did a whole afternoon's work without an actual Logic crash although Play crashed the bridge on a bounce down. Good to see a couple of the old timer bugs are still there though...

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,

Do you have any advice about assigning cores to Logic in 9.1.3? I'm running a few instances of Kontakt as single soft instruments and the rest of my project comes from Vienna Ensemble Pro which is hosting 4 Vienna projects with 8 track Stylus multis. Logic is also addressing 4 other Vienna Ensemble banks coming from a 2nd MacPro via ethernet.

Presently, Activity Monitor shows a lot of activity on the left side of the right hand core. The others are inactive. The CPU in Logic, however, shows activity on both sides of the LED whereas before 9.1.3 it was always heavily showing activity on the lowest LED meter.

Because of the CPU GUI change, I have the impression that L9.1.3 is using more CPU, but this is probably just a result of seeing the LED spread across all of the cores?? I don't really know how the Logic CPU meter corresponds to core usage.

I'd appreciate any tips you might have. Also, I can't install 9.1.3 on one of my other work stations. The upgrade isn't seeing the L9 1.1.1, which is definitely in the app folder and functioning properly. I can't find the LUG references to this issue. I know it was discussed for the 9.1.2 upgrade.

cheers,

Judith

Upvote 0
Hi Mark,

Do you have any advice about assigning cores to Logic in 9.1.3?

Hi Judith

I note that Apple have a KB dealing with this, I just linked to it in the L9 FAQ. It is #12. WRT your question, it seems that we will all have to experiment to get the best out of our systems bearing in mind the way we use them:

There are numerous factors which influence how the OS distributes the workload to the cores on your Mac. The optimal value for the Processing Threads may vary not only for different configurations but for different types of Projects. Selecting the highest value may not always be the best choice. You will need to experiment to determine which setting provides the best balance of performance and reliability with your setup and particular Logic Project.

I suspect that while getting this right might indeed be a big help for the type of scenario you mention, offloading tasks to 3rd party programs, getting it wrong may make things noticeably worse. There are a lot of variable involved: How many Cores the Mac in use has, whether or not they are HT capable, how much RAM, which softsynths are being use, and are they in Logic or being used externally in VE Pro, Plogue etc. Is Logic Running 32 or 64 bit etc. etc.

I see discussions about this looming on the horizon :)

Presently, Activity Monitor shows a lot of activity on the left side of the right hand core. The others are inactive. The CPU in Logic, however, shows activity on both sides of the LED whereas before 9.1.3 it was always heavily showing activity on the lowest LED meter.

Because of the CPU GUI change, I have the impression that L9.1.3 is using more CPU, but this is probably just a result of seeing the LED spread across all of the cores??

I haven't noticed that L 9.1.3 is any different than the recent previous versions regarding CPU use.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
It looks like there is now a function allowing the user to allocate threads (cores?) to Logic

Hey Mark, I read in your setup specs that you use an octa. shouldnt the process threads-dropdown in LP913 show a possible max of 16? The kbase reads: " This corresponds to the maximum number of cores that your computer offers (the combined total of physical and virtual cores), with a limit of 16. " Not really getting where this is an improvement if the max you can choose is the previous hw maximum anyhow. where does this pick on the Virtual Cores? Does it at all?

Upvote 0
Hey Mark, I read in your setup specs that you use an octa. shouldnt the process threads-dropdown in LP913 show a possible max of 16?

I wouldn't mind seeing 16 Threads on my Mac Pro, but I actually have a "vintage" 2006/2007 Model, the original Mac Pro Dual Quad Xeon which does not have Hyper Threading. AFAIR, HT first arrived with the 3rd Generation Nehalem Mac Pro models in 2009.

BTW, thanks for going to the effort to look through my sig. :thmbup:

The kbase reads: " This corresponds to the maximum number of cores that your computer offers (the combined total of physical and virtual cores), with a limit of 16. " Not really getting where this is an improvement if the max you can choose is the previous hw maximum anyhow. where does this pick on the Virtual Cores? Does it at all?

My understading is, if there are virtual cores present, it does, but, lacking any myself, I am relying on what I have read rather than experienced.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Hey Mark, thnx for the quick reply! Always happy to check specs before spitting fire :) I was testing on an Octa from 2008 myself and wondering why seeing only 8 possible threads. But where did you read about the HT support being introed with Nehalem? That was exactly the info I was looking for. Of course kbase dont mention it :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
not sure but it seems to me that even on the Pre-Nehalem machines there is definetely way more performance balancing on the cores. Previously a benchmark session with 25 sculpture and 12 Space Designers and changing IO Buffer down to 64 would result in Logic trying to calculate it all on the first 2 cores only now it balances it out quite nicely. only the 7th core does never get touched, seems to be reserved by the OS or something.
But great Update, Keep it up!

Upvote 0

Apple released 10.6.5 today (2010-11-10). Went through the usual procedures... boot into Safe Mode, unmount all external hard drives. Be patient. Took about 15 mins all told.

The second program I tried (the first was Mail) was Logic 9. Perfect, of course!

Bravi, Apple!

Upvote 0
Back