Logic Pro 9 Logic 9.1.5 released

No install of 9.1.5 over 9.1.4?

These are not like OS updates. You should be fine to simply install 9.1.5 over 9.anything.
Hi Colin, I tried to install 9.1.5 over 9.1.4 and was informed by the install pkdg I didn't need it, could this be because I am still using 32 bit in 10.5.8?

Upvote 0
Strange...

I installed 9.1.5 over 9.1.4 (and I also use 32 bit, though I think that's irrelevant).
I run OS 10.6.8, but that also shouldn't matter as the Apple website says that 10.5.8 is the minimum system requirement.

Upvote 0
Strange...

I installed 9.1.5 over 9.1.4 (and I also use 32 bit, though I think that's irrelevant).
I run OS 10.6.8, but that also shouldn't matter as the Apple website says that 10.5.8 is the minimum system requirement.

It sounds to me like an OS issue since he got the message via the Installer about the update "not being necessary..."
I'd be curious if anyone else running 10.5.8 had a similar experience.
Still odd being that Apple says Logic 9 is fully compatible with 10.5.8 thru Lion.

Upvote 0
It sounds to me like he has either renamed Logic Pro, or has it installed in an order other than applications. This is mentioned in the FAQs:

http://www.logic-users-group.com/index.php?q=logic-8-faq.html

kind regards

Mark
Thanks Mark, I have had no problems like this until now. The HD in my 2007 iMac is full so I Boot from an external 1TB HD via firewire 800. The Logic app versions are all on the external boot HD. As I was checking this out I did see that Logic 9.1.4 had installed its' self with the name "Logic Pro.app" I thought that was the problem and I changed the name to "Logic Pro 9.1.4" still get the message that there must be at least a Logic pro 9 in the Applications folder, I made an alias of 9.1.4 and put it in the external boot HD app folder but still can't install 9.1.5,could it be that the installer only looks at the internal HD? Why then have I been able to install the other Logic updates? Should I ask this in the Apple logic pro forum?

Upvote 0
I did see that Logic 9.1.4 had installed its' self with the name "Logic Pro.app" I thought that was the problem and I changed the name to "Logic Pro 9.1.4" still get the message that there must be at least a Logic pro 9 in the Applications folder,

Bingo; there's your problem! You cannot rename the current version of the Logic Pro app as it appears in your Applications folder. It must exist with the default name n order for the update installer to recognize it. You've renamed it, so the installer isn't seeing it. Revert the name to the default (without 9.1.4 appended to the end) and try running the installer again.

Upvote 0
Thanks Eli, I just wasted 30 minutes on the phone to Ireland and the Logic guy there was stumped too He did have me remove the 9.1.4 as you said, but still no joy. Do you know if the installer is looking at the app folder in the boot HD or the app folder in the Finder when I click on my name? Because that app folder is empty. I will try to add some images that make it more clear:
Ran out of time to upload images, will do it tomorrow.

Upvote 0
It needs to reside in a folder called Applications, which must be at the root level of your system hard drive. I think alias' should work (not certain though), but this pathway needs to be respected.

Upvote 0
Mark and Eli said it - don't rename your apps.

If you like to keep old versions, they can be renamed (eg Logic vx.x), but never change the names of currently running apps. Installers can't know what you've decided to change the name to, so they simply throw up error messages.

Upvote 0
I like George Leger's suggestion for keeping older versions. Compress the file into a zipped archive. And then rename the zipped file with 9.1.4 in the name. And your original then remains there intact, uncompressed, and ready to be updated.

Upvote 0
Thanks again Eli and all others, is this not in the right place?
20110812-pg34rg15a691f3mm4rfttf7ffy.jpg

Logic is in the app folder in the boot drive along with system, users etc.

Upvote 0
I seem to be getting system overload messages since updating.

I'll revert to 9.1.4 and see if that fixes it.

-EDIT-

Nope - my bad, sorry.

Something in my latest project is causing it.

-EDIT 2-

An audio track with a 3 take folder. Bounce in place appears to have fixed it.

Upvote 0
I was getting regular system overloads with 9.1.4, often on ridiculously lightweight projects. I hoped 9.1.5 would fix this, but in fact the only thing that seems to help with both 9.1.4 and 9.1.5 is to have the Activity Monitor app constantly open, as suggested by, I believe, George on another thread.

The Activity Monitor display will often flatly contradict what Logic's own system resource meter is saying, and seems to give a much better representation of how well the computer is coping.

Upvote 0
Back