Logic Pro 9 Logic 9.1.6 released

Eat that Protools!
So tell us, how do you really feel about ProTools? ;)

Note also Logic Pro is now a stand-alone app (not bundled) and is available from the Mac App Store for US $199.00. It appears to have all the content, just no other programs. MainStage is US $29.99

So this actually is great price drop - assuming you didn't need Soundtrack Pro.

Upvote 0

I can't imagine anyone truly needs Soundtrack Pro, any more than one needs an abusive spouse. They may think they need it, but when they see the alternative, they'll realize what they needed was the spouse, not the abuse! ;)

So my advice to a new user considering Logic Pro but feeling like the need a sample editor is rather than bemoaning that they can't pay $499 for Logic Studio, which includes the tragically flawed Soundtrack Pro, to pay the $199 for Logic, and then spend the some of that $299 they saved on a truly worthwhile sample editing program, such as Wave Editor ($99) or DSP Quattro ($199, on sale for $99 right now!).

If one wants to spend big money, there's BIAS Peak or Steinberg's WaveLab 7 also. But my point is that one can buy Logic Pro 9.1.6, Mainstage, and one of the two sample editors above separately, have a light-years better sample editor/sound design application, and still save money.

(can you tell I've had some negative experiences with STP? ;) )

Orren

Upvote 0
Yeah, but you didn't author a now much less valuable tutorial series on it..... ;) And, there are a few cool features that would be great to see in Logic.

But I totally agree with you - this is really a great price point and damn right there are good editors out there (bye bye sales of STP tutorial series) :ddhorse:

The only thing I have to complain about is it appears that MainStage 2.2 is a paid update. I'm a little curious as to why Logic 9.1.6 is free, MainStage 2.2 is not.

Upvote 0
The one thing I keep hoping will get some attention will be announced with these exact words "32 Bit Bridge issues resolved and the whole process sped up and streamlined and a whole other bunch of associated annoying shite fixed" ... I kid... sort of.

Upvote 0

I can't imagine anyone truly needs Soundtrack Pro, any more than one needs an abusive spouse. They may think they need it, but when they see the alternative, they'll realize what they needed was the spouse, not the abuse! ;)

So my advice to a new user considering Logic Pro but feeling like the need a sample editor is rather than bemoaning that they can't pay $499 for Logic Studio, which includes the tragically flawed Soundtrack Pro, to pay the $199 for Logic, and then spend the some of that $299 they saved on a truly worthwhile sample editing program, such as Wave Editor ($99) or DSP Quattro ($199, on sale for $99 right now!).

If one wants to spend big money, there's BIAS Peak or Steinberg's WaveLab 7 also. But my point is that one can buy Logic Pro 9.1.6, Mainstage, and one of the two sample editors above separately, have a light-years better sample editor/sound design application, and still save money.

(can you tell I've had some negative experiences with STP? ;) )

Orren

How does one make another editor the default? I'd like to use Peak for example. Looking forward to the update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
The only thing I have to complain about is it appears that MainStage 2.2 is a paid update. I'm a little curious as to why Logic 9.1.6 is free, MainStage 2.2 is not.

...because MainStage 2.2 is a feature release - and on top of that only costs $29.99!

And as an additional plus: via the App Store purchase you automatically get a multi-user license: you can install it on all your Macs!

Upvote 0
How does one make another editor the default? I'd like to use Peak for example. Looking forward to the update.

You can assign the "open in external sample editor" command to any sample editor you like. You can search for the key command in the Key Command window, assign it to a key, and the first time you invoke it you'll select your sample editor and you're good to go! :thmbup:

Orren

Upvote 0
...because MainStage 2.2 is a feature release - and on top of that only costs $29.99!

And as an additional plus: via the App Store purchase you automatically get a multi-user license: you can install it on all your Macs!

I went ahead and bought it and downloaded to my laptop. I don't get the multi-user license thing. I thought i could go to my desktop and download it again (it's the same apple ID and authorized computer) but it wanted to charge me again. If you care to explain, great. Otherwise, I'll look around and see what I find.

Upvote 0
I went ahead and bought it and downloaded to my laptop. I don't get the multi-user license thing. I thought i could go to my desktop and download it again (it's the same apple ID and authorized computer) but it wanted to charge me again. If you care to explain, great. Otherwise, I'll look around and see what I find.

The Mac App Store has a "Purchased" tab; every application you buy appears in that tab, and you can download any purchased app to any Mac that uses the same Apple ID.

I've not tried to "double buy" an app, but I think if you do, I think after you click buy it will tell you you already own it.

Orren

Upvote 0
Thanks Orren. Found the tab and think it should work except my laptop wasn't authorized until after I bought the app.

I had a problem with iTunes not loading my music onto my new iPhone and in troubleshooting deauthorized all computers and hadn't gotten around to reauthorizing the laptop yet. The problem ended up being somehow ALL songs were uncheck in my playlists. Took me forever to figure that out - don't spend a lot of time in that program, obviously......

I'll try to resolve it with Apple tomorrow.

Edit Update: It showed up in the purchase tab the following morning.....

Upvote 0
It appears to have all the content,

It's coming at 413 MB plus some additional 2GB download on first launch, so that simply can't be. There's tons more of EXS and Apple Loop content in the boxed version.
Apart from that, this download scheme is completely idiotic as you need the computer to be connected to the web to get all the content. Just imagine, there's still some people working at places without net connection.

Whatever, they still didn't fix some oldstanding bugs. And they probably never will.

Well, who cares. I don't, my Logic days will probably be over rather soon. The price drop still doesn't make it cheap, either, as I still need massively overpriced hardware to run it.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
It's coming at 413 MB plus some additional 2GB download on first launch, so that simply can't be. There's tons more of EXS and Apple Loop content in the boxed version.

Sascha, it's all there.

As you can see in your own copy of Logic Pro 9.1.6: select Logic Pro > Additional Content and every single piece of content can be freshly downloaded (if you've moved your own content to different drives, as I have, you'll see that it shows up as undownloaded)

20111210-k5h2uf15ysji64r7b6teua3g15.jpg

Apart from that, this download scheme is completely idiotic as you need the computer to be connected to the web to get all the content. Just imagine, there's still some people working at places without net connection.

First of all, it's not that unlikely to have an internet connection these days. But anyway, you can always download the content on one machine, and then simply put it on a drive and bring it to anywhere you want.

In fact, there is another way to look at it: people who buy Logic Pro in the Mac App Store can then install it on any machine tied to that Apple ID. So you can buy it on you desktop machine and then install it on your two laptops directly from the internet, without needing to bring DVDs to all of them. It all depends on personal preference.

Orren

Upvote 0
First of all, it's not that unlikely to have an internet connection these days. But anyway, you can always download the content on one machine, and then simply put it on a drive and bring it to anywhere you want.

You cannot do that in case your other machine is a Windows computer. There's no App Store for Windows.
So, in case your studio machine is not connected to the net, you need yet another Apple computer just to download Logic plus content.

Apart from that, I know several people that run their studio machines without internet connection (some are just working in, say, basements or wherever).

- Sascha

Upvote 0
And fwiw, all the additional content shows up as not being installed on my machine. Which it obviously is. The only thing I did was moving the EXS sample content. So Logic should clearly know that the additional content is installed.

Upvote 0
I noticed the same thing regarding the loop files that I moved to a different drive. It doesn't recognize them. That may be something they figure out, as obviously Logic recognizes them.

Regarding to download an app or not, I'm afraid it will be more and more like this. And I can see the problem for some people. My guess is Apple thinks the few that don't buy will be offset by the more that will.

It's where our world is going. Slightly different focus, but somewhat similar issue: there was a trade magazine that went virtual - I quite reading it and dropped my subscription. I just don't enjoy reading lots of information online. I still have the paper delivered daily and read my news there - and I will for as long as I can.

Upvote 0
Regarding to download an app or not, I'm afraid it will be more and more like this. And I can see the problem for some people. My guess is Apple thinks the few that don't buy will be offset by the more that will.

Don't get me wrong: I actually *like* the idea of software being a downloadable product only. DVDs can fail easily while it's easy to have a properly (and way more safe) HDD backup scheme. In other words: DVDs and boxed packages are economical and ecological waste. I also really don't exactly care about distributors that made a part of their income from selling such software. Times are changing, as easy as that.

But in case of Logic things are quite different. You need a Mac (even better: the target machine) to actually download the software and bring the supplied content up to date. That, IMHO, is downright stupid.

As I already mentioned: There's more than just a handful of studios which don't have their production machines connected to the net. In fact, most studios I know don't have a net connection on their main music machines.
They may use a Windows computer for all net related tasks.
They may as well use another Mac - but please try to explain to those people, where exactly the In-App-Downloads are located, so they can easily collect them and put them onto an external HDD or whatever device (all that stuff is spread all over the place, but let's better not start about this because I'll be getting a heart attack - it's so utterly stupid...).

As said: Software being download-only is a good idea in my book. The way Apple (apparently) does it isn't.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
I went ahead and bought it and downloaded to my laptop. I don't get the multi-user license thing. I thought i could go to my desktop and download it again (it's the same apple ID and authorized computer) but it wanted to charge me again. If you care to explain, great. Otherwise, I'll look around and see what I find.[/QUOTE]

Doug, it's been a few weeks since I last did this, but I think it only LOOKS like it is going to charge you again. I remember being slightly discombobulated by this too. But in fact it didn't charge me again, it just downloaded the app to the 2nd computer. (This is in re a completely different software purchase, but same circumstance.)

Upvote 0
Back