Logic Pro 9 logic 9 - how do i enable autocolor tracks?

Sdstudios

Logician
i read that logic 9 will auto colorize new tracks..

how do i enable this feature?

right now all tracks are blue unless i specify them a certin colour.

Goto to File/Project Settings/Recording/General and check 'Auto-Colorize Takes'
Then jump on your instruments and (multi) record like a beast :)

Upvote 0
The bad news: the project setting is relative to your current project so yes.
The good news: Did you know that you can load an existing song template and save it with this preset ? you can also simply create a new template customized as you wish and save it as a template, then select it as the 'default template' (you can open logic with this default template if you configure it from the Preferences/General/Project Handling pane)

Upvote 0
Does this apply to only successive "takes", or does it also auto colorize each new track?
It only colors new takes, not new tracks.
In other words, only the 2nd and subsequent tracks are colored differently,
the first recorded take always keeps its original (track) color.
So if your record only one take (yes sometimes you don't need more than one lol!), you would not even see any color difference than with prev. modes.
Fabien

Upvote 0
Hmm that doesn't seem to work here. It's ticked but all my takes have the same colour, strange.

AFAIK this only works when recording takes (it does here). Switching it on won't change colour in existing takes.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
So maybe there are things that don't work on G5s it doesn't work here. I switched it on, recorded a few takes (into a takefolder) and .....nothing, they are all red like I set it up to be before upgrading to 9. I wonder if there are other people on G5s that can try this.
BTW is your pedalboard bigger than your screen or is this also a G5 (and it's ancient graphic card) thing.

Upvote 0
Hmmm,I would easily understand if an audio dsp filter algorithm has not been ported to ppc, but a simple color change seems weird to me.

Did you go to File/Project Settings/Recording/General and checked 'Auto-Colorize Takes' ?

Upvote 0
Indeed I did, strange but not a disaster. I will upgrade to an Intel machine when the second generation of the Nehalems hits the street but that probably won´t be until the end of the year.
Until then I will be caught somewhere in between upgrades especially when Snow Leopard comes out in September I suspect. I figure that there probably are some selling point in Logic 9 that we won't discover until that comes out.

Upvote 0
Just to be sure, you did select this feature before using it in each new song you want it, or you managed to save a template with this option enabled ?
What I mean by this is: it is a song-level preference option,
not a global preference option so you should make sure it is activated for each song where you want it before you use it.
Just my 2 cents

Upvote 0
I changed my autoload template and it doesn't work. Selecting by colour in ie pianoroll doesn't work either. Actually quite a bit little things seem to be not working or not seeming that stable. I haven't had crashes but sometimes the windows are slower than they used to particularly when changing screensets, when I record in replacemode a folder is still created but just with one track in it etc. No major issues but a fair warning to all G5 users.
Apple says that G5s are no longer supported so I can't blame them but to all the people who thinks that it works at the moment I guess it's important to say that some things don't work.

Upvote 0
>>Just to be sure, you did select this feature before using it in each new song you want it, or you managed to save a template with this option enabled ?<<

Yes, I saved a template with the option enabled. Doesn't work for me on an 8 core Mac Pro running OSX 10.5.7.

What I didn't do, and will try, is creating a new template with the option enabled BEFORE I choose a color for the channel strip. Maybe that's what you have to do.

But I really shouldn't have to do that, should I?:confused:

Upvote 0
What I didn't do, and will try, is creating a new template with the option enabled BEFORE I choose a color for the channel strip. Maybe that's what you have to do. But I really shouldn't have to do that, should I?:confused:
No you shouldn't indeed :(

Once you activated it in Song Settings/Recording, this feature should be noticeable from the 2n to Nth take that you record.

But even when it works, the color becomes really noticeable when you open the takes folder of your recorded track and/or start to combine/select multiple subtake slices.

Upvote 0
Oops, I forgot to mention 2 other troubleshooting things just in case:
- It's always a good idea to repair the permissions in the disk utility application
- You have very detailled logic log info accessible from the Console app, I noticed you have log info on each new multitake you record ...

Upvote 0
OK, so I spoke to Apple support, and here's the deal:

Autocolor only works in cycle mode. It doesn't work if you simply record multiple takes.

Upvote 0
Back