Logic Pro 9 LOGIC 9 IS OUT!!

Orren Merton

Logic Samurai / Administrator
Staff member
Does anyone know if the upgrade versions are available for sale in the (physical) Apple stores, or only online?
Yup, you can grab one from your local "brick and mortar" Apple Store (unless they sold out, of course!).

Orren

mk3

Logician
Does anyone know if the upgrade versions are available for sale in the (physical) Apple stores, or only online?
Yup, you can grab one from your local "brick and mortar" Apple Store (unless they sold out, of course!).

Orren
Too bad I didn't know!
I already ordered it first thing yesterday at the online Apple store, with next-day delivery. As of today, it still says "Prepared for Shipment" instead of "Shipped" as the status online. Had hoped to have it for the weekend. If its really dragging on, I'll try to buy one at the Apple Store. Maybe I can return the shipped copy (or find a friend who needs it).

mk3

LivePsy

Logician
Where's the list of changes since Logic Pro 8? The smaller feature and workflow changes interest me more than the big features.

ignatius

Logician
What ???? It's Universal, meaning it WILL work on a G5 ??
mixed reports about G5 support so far. one guy on gearslutz had no probs what-so-ever and everything worked as it should. another guy had trouble w/the install and now it crashes upon opening even after doing the normal fixes like repair permissions etc.

also, someone posted a "work around" to insure a problem free install on G5 computers.. though as said already one user installed as if he had an intel mac and has had no issues and has run the demo sessions w/o a hitch.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/408647-logic-9-may-work-power-pc.html

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/music-computers/408722-logic-9-performance-issues.html

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member

Orren
Yes, to cite just one example, both the full and update versions were available earlier today in the Apple Store in Santa Monica. I had to ask for them though, they weren't on display.

BTW, the packages are small, unlike the big boxes full of manuals that the last versions of LS and FCS consisted of, this time it is almost DVDs only, along with a small "exploring logic pro" book.

kind regards

Mark

alienimplant

Logician
Monster Fuzz and Double Dragon are freakin' amazing, and do some very amazing things to drums too. Both Pedalboard and Amp Designer are true stereo in and out (they don't monofy your signal). Another cool thing, when you change amps or cabinets, all your knobs keep their settings, making the process of demoing different amps a very fluid process. They really thought this stuff through!

alienimplant

Logician
The Bounce-In-Place function is incredible!

But sadly, I don't see any pitch manipulation in the arrange. The focus appears to be all on timing. Apple calls this Flex. They did an incredible job with it. I just wish they'd done the same thing with pitch. If I'm missing anything, please chime in.

UPDATE: There is some very crude pitch control using the 'speed' function of Flex, but its useless for precision work with pitch like you can do with melodyne. I really don't understand why this wasn't implemented. The technology that makes it possible is already in use by the other Flex features. Pitch is being manipulated in real time to apply timing effects, so why didn't they give us precise control over it? Aaaaaargh! :p Melodyne plugin lives on to see another day.

Let me say this, however: the new timing functions in the arrange basically give you VocAlign-type control with a variety of approaches for a very good price, especially when balanced with all the other new features.

leytonnz

Logician
alien,
can you try this for me:
open an arrange window and say a piano roll window(as a separate window).. do some editing in the piano roll and go back to the arrange and rubber band some regions ( without selecting the arrange window) and then press delete.. will it actually delete the regions.. im wondering if the window focus methodology has been changed.. as being able to select stuff in the arrange without the arrange being in focus drives me nuts..

also is bounce in place destructive?
also do KC for the audio bin" show all regions/hide all regions" work now?
also if you do a bounce does it use more than one core?

thanks
L

alienimplant

Logician
1. As soon as I rubber-band with the mouse, the focus changes immediately.

2. It's not exactly destructive editing but can give you similar behavior depending on which options you select (see figure below). Note: some of my options are gray because I only have one instrument track in my test file at the moment, so don't panic. :)

Sorry, you'll have to clarify your last two questions. I can't quite follow the terminology.

Orren Merton

Staff member
Hello....

Has anyone found a PDF manual for L9 on Apple's site?
The only documentation I've found is in HTML format, so not savable.

http://documentation.apple.com/en/logicpro/usermanual/
I think you're right, that's the new way they're doing manuals now. It definitely has some advantages-it's very easy to internally update an HTML page if an update changes behavior, or if a section of the manual is poorly written, they can revise just that section without needing to distribute an entirely new PDF.

However, you definitely have options to save it if you want:

From the "in Logic" browser viewer:
Select Print... then in the print dialog choose "Save As PDF" from the PDF menu.

From Safari/Web Browser:
Choose either "Save As" or as above (Print then Save as PDF)

Orren

mk3

Logician
I think you're right, that's the new way they're doing manuals now. It definitely has some advantages-it's very easy to internally update an HTML page if an update changes behavior, or if a section of the manual is poorly written, they can revise just that section without needing to distribute an entirely new PDF.

However, you definitely have options to save it if you want:

From the "in Logic" browser viewer:
Select Print... then in the print dialog choose "Save As PDF" from the PDF menu.

From Safari/Web Browser:
Choose either "Save As" or as above (Print then Save as PDF)

Orren
Thank you for the reply, Orren. Yes, I see that value of that sort of updatable documentation. Unfortunately, what happens if one isn't connected to the Internet? Does Logic 9 still include a local copy of the documentation?

Printing from Safari will only print (or save as PDF) the currently viewed page, no? There is no way in Safari to save the entire manual at once, as far as I can tell.

mk3

leytonnz

Logician
alien, thanks for that..

a tiny bit more of your experience please.. for the window focus issue can you now try the same thing ( open a piano roll window and do some editing ) but then go back to the arrange (without clicking on its window) and trim the right hand edge of an audio region in.. then push delete.. this in L8 will delete the midi notes you were last playing with in the piano roll editor and NOT the region which is selected in the arrange which you have trimmed..

good to see the BIP options

to clarify the other 2 questions
3- the key commands for "show and hide all regions" in the audio bin have never worked for me... the default is: option+down arrow, (or up arrow)... id love to know if this works now.

4- when doing an offline bounce of a session my CPU meters show that logic is only using one core ( of the eight) to do the bounce.. if you have a multi-core machine can you openthe CPU meters in logic and do a bounce and tell me what its telling you?

thanks for your help

L

Orren Merton

Staff member
Hey - Guitar effects and amps are effects! Useful for EVERYTHING imho.
Absolutely! Where, for example, would industrial music be without running vocals (and everything else, really) through stompboxes, pedalboards, and amplifiers? ;)

Orren