Logic Pro 9 LOGIC 9 IS OUT!!

Apparently, no good dead goes unpunished. And that, folks, explains why people do not like Apple as much as they used to.

Never mind, everyone out there can simply spend three days doing what I did in order to get a PDF manual for Logic 9. It is doable, but it's a major pain.

Enjoy doing it, and be sure to send Apple a nice note after you're done.

Upvote 0

Eli

Logician
Admins - I hope you don't mind me cross-posting this; but I think it is relevant to this thread as well:

[previously from another thread]

Hi All,

Okay I have REALLY GREAT TIP here for everyone, which makes the html manual _ALMOST_ as good as a pdf version.

Type the following script into the Terminal utility:

open "/Applications/Logic Pro.app/Contents/Resources/English.lproj/logicpro_help/index.html"

This will open the Logic Pro Help document embedded in the Logic application, in Safari. Now from under the Safari file menu choose "save as" and save it somewhere. It is saved as a small archive document. You can now double click this to open the Logic pro Help file contents.

And here's the best part. IT IS REALLY FAST! One thing that has bugged me about the help file is how slow it is getting to the sub contents on each page. This archive file is ten times faster. I love it! This is how I will be using Logic's help from now on. And of course, being opened in Safari, it can be resized, and hidden, etc. It's great! And it's fast!

Upvote 0

Eli

Logician
Don't save it as an archive, copy the folder to the e.g. Desktop. Then you can search it with Spotlight!

How exactly do you do this? What folder specifically are you referring to? Are you referring to going in to the package contents and retrieving it from there?

Upvote 0

Fabulowsky

Logician
It's a bit tricky, you first right click on your Logic Pro app from the Applications folder, then select 'Show Package Content', then go to Resources/English.lproj
In this Folder, copy 'logicpro_help' to your Desktop.
I'll try this, thanks mmm42 :)

Upvote 0

pfloyd714714

Logician
Given that this is a major upgrade, I find the lack of printed manuals to be an unfortunate omission. I'm old. I grew up reading books and manuals and such printed on paper. An electronic file doesn't cut it. I'm used to highlighting, writing notes in margins, etc. It's extra-obnoxious that the manual isn't in PDF format, which at least is searchable. And while I appreciate Eli's clever terminal fix to save the thing as a PDF, it shouldn't be such a laborious task. It shouldn't be a task at all. It should just be there in both printed form and as a PDF. That, or at least make the thing available in book form and charge me for it.

I know--lots of whining over a manual. But again, I'm old. I grew up on books...

Jim

Upvote 0

Pete Thomas

Administrator
Staff member
Never mind, everyone out there can simply spend three days doing what I did in order to get a PDF manual for Logic 9. It is doable, but it's a major pain.

It's very sad that we are not able to help in the distribution of copyright material. It may well be that Apple would not give a hoot, we just don't know. I hope you understand our legal position.

Upvote 0

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
Given that this is a major upgrade, I find the lack of printed manuals to be an unfortunate omission. I'm old. I grew up reading books and manuals and such printed on paper. An electronic file doesn't cut it. I'm used to highlighting, writing notes in margins, etc. It's extra-obnoxious that the manual isn't in PDF format, which at least is searchable.

FWIW, I agree fully with you Jim, and would dearly love to see Apple making at least a pdf of the complete Logic 9 manual available.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
It's very sad that we are not able to help in the distribution of copyright material. It may well be that Apple would not give a hoot, we just don't know. I hope you understand our legal position.

That is precisely the reason why I raised the issue. I do think it is an admirable gesture that Jonathan went to the trouble of doing this and offering it to everyone, I hope that it is clear that we merely wish to avoid the risk of any sort of legal problems being created.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0

Orren Merton

Logic Samurai / Administrator
Staff member
Given that this is a major upgrade, I find the lack of printed manuals to be an unfortunate omission.

You'd feel differently if you wrote music tutorials for a living... :tongue:

I'm old. I grew up reading books and manuals and such printed on paper. An electronic file doesn't cut it.

I love books. I read them. I write them. I'm right there with you Jim, no argument here! But let's look at this another way:

Right now, our planet is running out of resources. We're using up our oil, we're heating up our atmosphere, we're cutting down our forests. As much as we don't like to see ourselves this way, the human race is collectively behaving like a virus-we devour everything we need to multiply and sustain ourselves regardless of the fact that our "host" (earth) is being depleted to the point that its very ability to sustain us is being reduced.

Unlike a virus, however, we can change our behavior so that we don't just devour our host alive. You and I love manuals. We read them. We want paper. But the truth is that the vast majority of the user base does not. Therefore, all the paper and oil and other resources that go into the manufacturing process are wasted. Especially when you consider that unused manuals are almost never recycled, but often stored indefinitely until one day far in the future they are thrown out with the garbage. Given this reality, delivering electronic documentation not only makes sense, but one could argue that it is an environmental imperative.

It would be nice if they included the electronic documentation in both HTML/help and PDF format. Luckily, once they have the documentation in one form, it's easy to convert it to another. I fully expect a more transportable PDF of the Logic 9 manual to be released at some point in the future.

It would also be nice if they did allow people like you and me who actually do read paper manuals to buy them. I thought I read somewhere Apple will sell you a paper manual for $20 but I can't find it on the Apple Store. If Apple did sell paper manuals as an extra, that would allow those of us who make use of them to have them, while not wasting precious resources on those who don't.

I know--lots of whining over a manual. But again, I'm old. I grew up on books...

Books are still "books" if delivered electronically, they're just not as fun to read. If I have to give up some fun to repair the world, I'll do it. I'll just grumble a bit. ;)

Orren

Upvote 0

mk3

Logician
Books are still "books" if delivered electronically, they're just not as fun to read. If I have to give up some fun to repair the world, I'll do it. I'll just grumble a bit. ;)

Orren

I'm with you there. We should be making a concerted effort to reduce our material possessions (which inevitably end up as garbage at some point, creating a massive disposal/recycling drama). I'm all for virtual music media as well as virtual books. In fact, virtual books (e-books) have many advantages, such as portability and ease of searching.

The downside in both cases, of course, is ease of piracy.

In Logic 9's case, however, the documentation is awkward and slow to navigate, and not properly searchable. So at least PDF manuals would still be very useful.

mk3

Upvote 0
Logic 9 PDF Manual

If you download all the PDF files as I have done. Then you can use PDF Lab and make 2 manuals that will look feel and act just like any other Logic manual.

You need to make 2, because PDF Lab can't handle the 2000+ files that will take up the manual. The program falls out after about 1200 files on my Mac 8-Core.

So far, this is the only solution I've come up with for replacing the lack of a manual in Logic Pro 9.

Of course, PDF files do NO harm to the environment other than taking up a little room on your hard drive.

Upvote 0

LSchefman

Logician
New Amp Models --

I use real amps and models depending on my needs of the day. I spent yesterday with the new ones in L9, but also have Waves GTR and Amplitube. I tried them with several direct boxes and guitars, and there are a lot of variables depending on what you're using.

They're all about equal in quality, and I think the choice between them depends more on the model than the brand, as Orren stated.

I'm actually very impressed with Apple's offerings, and also agree with Orren's comments about the various models.

I should note that I have a couple of very high end "boutique" tube amps and am pretty fussy about my sound.

Upvote 0

LSchefman

Logician
Orren, the review is spot-on.

One nice thing about having Pedalboard separate is that it's kind of like the Waves package that way; you can use them together, but you can, say, use Pedalboard with your favorite amp sim from another maker. So if you're working and you like a particular IK model on a given track, you can use your favorite Pedalboard sim with it, and that's kinda nice.

Similarly, I can use the pedals that came with my Waves GTR3 set with the Amps that come with L9. Cool!

Upvote 0