Logic Pro 9 LOGIC 9 IS OUT!!

it says Intel only - any beta testers on here who might be able to comment if this is recommended or required? My G5 is still my main studio computer...

my quad G5 is my main studio computer as well. i'm not gonna buy a new mac desktop just for logic 9. :brkwl: :angryfire:

pretty lame for apple to do this. my PPC machine is not anywhere near needing an upgrade. maybe 2 years from now or something. but oh well. guess i can wait. maybe by then i can buy my last apple desktop since they'll be even more robust in the speed department. w a n k e r s. so it goes.

also.. why is w a n k e r on the bad word list? it get's *** out.

Upvote 0
I have a dual 2.7Ghz G5 that is feeling very old these days..... these new features look really helpful and powerful. I like very much the way they are allowing easier and more powerful manipulation of audio. Still not showing the kind of audio editing tools that ProTools has or that I use in Final Cut Express (Ripple edits and Roll edits with a single tool would be very nice).

Time for a new computer !!

Upvote 0
maybe by then i can buy my last apple desktop since they'll be even more robust in the speed department. w a n k e r s. so it goes.

C'mon man, get a grip on it! :)

Who knows, maybe there will be a maintenance upgrade for version 8.
Doubtful...

howard

Upvote 0

Because it is used as an offensive term in many parts of the world.

I understand you are using this against a corporation (Apple), but if people here use it against other members, it's not within the spirit of this forum.

Hope that makes sense.

Upvote 0
...Seems like they're really targeting guitar-based musician with so much of the Logic announcement page showing off the guitar effects & amp simulators...
Wonder if there are any bells & whistles with the synth plugs or are they same as before?
This Flex Audio seems interesting. Wonder how far that can be pushed before the sound breaks down.
Can't wait to hear all about it from you brave 9.0'ers!! ;)

Charlie

Upvote 0
Regarding the Intel only limitation, I think that the bad news is that the Node software will support Intel only, too bad, I was counting to keep my Duel G5 as a Node.

Andrea

Upvote 0
maybe by then i can buy my last apple desktop since they'll be even more robust in the speed department. w a n k e r s. so it goes.

C'mon man, get a grip on it! :)

Who knows, maybe there will be a maintenance upgrade for version 8.
Doubtful...

howard

yeah. i doubt it too. whatever. logic 8 has plenty of features and only minor annoyances when it does something dumb or spits out errors. I've been learning DP little by little and it's pretty awesome and does a lot and Live does plenty and will work on PPC machine just fine.

honestly.. my quad G5 has plenty of juice for now and i wasn't planning on going for an intel mac pro beast for another year or two. i like to stretch the CPUs for as long as i an because they depreciate so quickly and being on a constant upgrade treadmill is annoying not to mention expensive. i'm typing this email out on my G4 dual 450 (w/a dual 1.2 G4 CPU upgrade card) and it's perfect for email/business type stuff so it has a place and serves me very well.

but yeah.. the logic 9 update looks great and adds a lot and stays current w/the features people expect. if i had an intel machine i'd jump on it but i don't so...

oh, sorry if my 'language' offended any virgin ears/eyes on the forum. :hippy:

Upvote 0
also.. why is w a n k e r on the bad word list?

Pete has already spoken "officially" but let me just say this:

I don't know if you're a native English speaker or not, but I can promise you that there is no idea that can be expressed in this language that cannot be expressed respectfully. When someone uses disrespectful language, whether vulgar or not, it changes the discussion from an intellectual one of sharing ideas to one of ranting and chest beating and basically acting like insolent children.

This community has been around for a very long time. One reason is that when people disagree-whether with each other, with a corporate policy, you name it-they do so with respect for each other and courtesy in general, regardless of how upset they are. We have no intention of changing this.

Orren

Upvote 0
This looks really good. Does any one know if there is also pitch correction a-la Melodyne?

I think only Melodyne does Melodyne, but there is the Pitch Correction plug-in that you can insert into a channel strip, and of course the Time and Pitch machine algorithms.

Orren

Upvote 0
...Seems like they're really targeting guitar-based musician with so much of the Logic announcement page showing off the guitar effects & amp simulators...

I'm guessing that one of the reasons it gets so much room is that it's so "pretty" (new interfaces) and that plug-ins in general lend themselves to audio and visual demos. It's not as easy to have ten different Flex demos, for example, as it is to have ten amp demos, one per amp.

Wonder if there are any bells & whistles with the synth plugs or are they same as before?

I'd imagine that there might be a few changes to the synths here and there (not sure) but nothing major, or they'd be shouting it from the rooftops (like the guitar stuff, as you pointed out).

Orren

Upvote 0
Regarding the Intel only limitation, I think that the bad news is that the Node software will support Intel only, too bad, I was counting to keep my Duel G5 as a Node.

Hmm....are you sure about that? I'd be very surprised if you couldn't install the Logic Node app from Logic 9 onto a PowerPC machine. Someone will have to try it to be sure, of course but I'd be really surprised if despite the "minimum requirements" you couldn't still load and run the Node app on an PowerPC-based Mac.

Orren

Upvote 0
Honestly, I don't have a PowerPC based Mac anymore, so I'm not sure if it will boot up or not. But if they say "Intel only" that implies one of two things:

1) The program only comes with an Intel installer. Therefore, there is no PowerPC version to install.

2) It will install on a PowerPC machine, but some features in there won't work.

...or:

3) It will install and run on a PowerPC Mac, but Apple doesn't want to support that officially for some reason...

Upvote 0
Honestly, I don't have a PowerPC based Mac anymore, so I'm not sure if it will boot up or not. But if they say "Intel only" that implies one of two things:

1) The program only comes with an Intel installer. Therefore, there is no PowerPC version to install.

2) It will install on a PowerPC machine, but some features in there won't work.

...or:

3) It will install and run on a PowerPC Mac, but Apple doesn't want to support that officially for some reason...

In thinking about it, you could be absolutely right. This could be more political than anything technical. Apple may simply want to transition away from supporting PowerPC Macs, and this may be one step in doing that.

At some point, someone will try to install Logic Pro 9 on a PowerPC and we'll hear for sure. But I wouldn't be surprised if you're right, and it works.

Orren

Upvote 0
my quad G5 is my main studio computer as well. i'm not gonna buy a new mac desktop just for logic 9. :brkwl: :angryfire:
pretty lame for apple to do this. my PPC machine is not anywhere near needing an upgrade.

I read that it's still a Universal Binary. So it'll work on a G5, but it isn't recommended or supported. In other words, it hasn't been purposefully crippled for G5, but it hasn't been tested either.

why is w a n k e r on the bad word list? it get's *** out.

In some cultures it's a very bad word. Over here in Canada it's roughly as offensive as "poseur" (ie... hardly at all) in most contexts. It rarely ever is used in the sexual context.

Did you know that pointing is a big insult in Chinese culture? Here it's a non-issue. And spitting on somebody here is a big insult... but quite the opposite on Arrakis (but make sure the receiver is wearing a stillsuit).

Upvote 0
Did you know that pointing is a big insult in Chinese culture? Here it's a non-issue. And spitting on somebody here is a big insult... but quite the opposite on Arrakis (but make sure the receiver is wearing a stillsuit).

lmao.

well OK. i can adhere to the corporatocracy here. no prob. really. i don't want any more infractions for sarcasm.

cheers.

Upvote 0
Hi everyone - I'm a new forum member.

Just thought I'd let you know that I ordered my Logic 9 upgrade today. I was quoted over 4 weeks for shipping, but have just received an email saying it's been shipped already. Looking forward to seeing if the bugs are gone :)

Upvote 0
Back