Logic Pro 9 Logic 9 lags in 64 bit mode

maxim

Logician
Hi folks,

I am scoring to a film on a MP Quadcore with 9 Gb RAM and Logic 9.1. Started in 32bit mode but as the project grew I got all the time "memory is getting low" messages. The instruments used are mostly Miroslav Philharmonik and diverse Kontakt 4 libraries.

After consulting the cracks here on LUG I followed the advice to switch over to 64bit mode as this mode is designed to resolve the memory access problem providing twice the memory for the plugs.

Now the messages are gone but I have to wait around 2 seconds after hitting play for the sequencer to start. This doesn't change even when lowering the buffer to extremes, switching off software monitoring etc.

Is there still a way to beat this ? In 32bit mode the system was very snappy. So nothing changed ...

maxim

I wonder if the preferences get funny from switching. For me there are times even in 32 bit mode where it takes longer than it should to start.

Upvote 0
I recently switched to SL and haven't had any problems...which surprised me. I took a chance and switched while in the middle of a long term film scoring project. I fully expected to encounter some unexpected glitches and yet the chengeover has been seamless. Best of all, the 'low memory' warnings are a thing of the past.

Perhaps your 'lag' is due to some other other setting or issue. Sorry I can't be of more help.

Upvote 0
I'm no expert at all on Kontakt and NI products, but I seem to recall that they do not recommend using 64bit kernel mode. Has that changed?

Best,

timrob

Upvote 0
64 bit Kernel mode and 64 bit apps are not the same.

64 bit Apps run in 10.6 in 32 bit kernel mode. However, many Macs cannot boot into 64 bit kernel mode - neither of my Intel Macs from 2006 and 2007 can, but I am running Logic + Plugins 64 bit whenever possible.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
Kontakt 4.1 is 64 bit

Yes, but that has little to do with whether it runs well under 64bit kernel mode.

This is from the NI website: (last update Feb. 11, 2010 so whether this info is still valid is a question)

"Some special notes regarding 64bit aspects of Mac OS X 10.6:

32bit kernel mode vs. 64bit kernel mode
All installations of Mac OS X 10.6 on Apple consumer models start in 32bit kernel mode by default. This kernel mode allows the operation of both 32bit and 64bit Mac OS X applications.

Users can activate an optional 64bit kernel mode through a special key combination during the boot process. However, drivers for NI audio interfaces and controllers are currently not compatible with 64bit kernel mode.

For the time being, Native Instruments does not recommend using 64bit kernel mode with music production software. The development efforts necessary to establish 64bit kernel mode compatibility for NI products are currently being evaluated. "

Best,

timrob

Upvote 0
Don't bother booting into a 64-bit kernel, that doesn't make a difference for you. It doesn't gain you any performance or memory.

Upvote 0
Back