Logic Pro X Logic and mixing with analog summing

captainmarko

Logician
Hello people!

I am trying to make a complete commitment to Logic and hopefully abandon PT altogether, unless working for clients for whom it is a requirement. So...I am just about ready to start mixing a batch of original songs and this will be the first time I haven't mixed in PT in 20 years.

So just a quick question, because i can't seem to find the particular answer anywhere.

My PT mix setup typically goes like this:

All tracks are routed out to an assigned stereo output, i.e. drums-3/4, bass-5/6, synths-7/8 etc, resulting in 22 channels of analog summing.

I've always had a master fader in PT for each stereo output, upon which I might place some additional magic. Does Logic allow you to create a separate master fader for each stereo output? I can't seem to find the answer anywhere and I'd like to know before I start this process whether or not I have to just suck it up and return to PT to mix.

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
All tracks are routed out to an assigned stereo output, i.e. drums-3/4, bass-5/6, synths-7/8 etc, resulting in 22 channels of analog summing.
Does this mean you are routing out of your computer into a mixing desk or some sort of merging/summing device in the analogue domain?

To answer your question, yes, logic will provide as many outputs as it can see through the software controlling your interface. In your signature I note you are using an antelope orion. While I'm not familiar with that particular device, I presume it offers 32 channels of D/A conversion, with 32 inputs from a DAW? In that case, you should be able to select up to 16 stereo outputs in logic's mixer routing. While these may not offer effect inserts, you can first route to aux channels, which do offer inserts, and then route these to individual stereo outputs.

kind regards

Mark

facej

Logician
When you assign a track.aux (channel) to output to 3-4 an output channel strip should get created. Inserts can be added as desired. About the only thing you can't do with an output channel strip is route it to another output or channel.

captainmarko

Logician
Does this mean you are routing out of your computer into a mixing desk or some sort of merging/summing device in the analogue domain?
Yes. Running out of the Orion into a Shadowhills Equniox for 22 tracks of analog summing. I use 1/2 to print mixes back in to the DAW.

Thanks, guys.

AlexDingley

Logician
Yes. Running out of the Orion into a Shadowhills Equniox for 22 tracks of analog summing. I use 1/2 to print mixes back in to the DAW.

Thanks, guys.
I’m doing the same thing here: Orion 32+ Out into a Dangerous 2bus+ & 2BusLT... then into my 2-Track recorder.

the output faders (as noted above) should appear by default once you route to them. I often put an insert or two on some of them. Were you originally NOT seeing the “output” channels show up?