Logic Pro 9 Logic and Mountain Lion

Colin Shapiro

Logician
Has anyone been brave (or foolish) and installed Mountain Lion?

The conventional wisdom is to wait a while until all major plugin suppliers have confirmed compatibility. Any news on that? Maybe LUG admin can open a new topic that lists 3rd party stuff as it is confirmed to be compliant....

Lots of users at the Logic Pro help forum have installed ML, myself included, and it works great with everything I'm running. There have been a few instances of more obscure plugs failing to work, but for the most part Mountain Lion is not that much different from Lion: more features and apps, but no fundamental change to disk structure (which is what made Lion so problematic for so many).

Upvote 0
Colin,

You're very welcome.
I mostly only look at the Logic forums myself. Never noticed the AU forum before until Markdvc posted the links above. Seriously! :D

At any rate, I posted some ML compatibility input there.

Best,
Wally

Upvote 0
I have had major problems with ML and Logic Pro 9 - so have many others on Apple forums. Logic hangs intermittently in play and record, audio keeps going but everything freezes, sometimes until the end of the track. Believe it or not this gets worse the longer the session. None of these issues with Snow Leopard, also crashes Presonus 1818VSL interface, this is a real worry. Has anyone got a fix? I've heard there are problems with the dock in ML and putting computer to sleep helps........sounds dodgy. New Imac 27 8gigs ram

Upvote 0
Kevin - on another forum, it has become "first aid" for this problem to remove any third party graphics drivers. Are you using AirDisplay or any other monitor mirror software?

I was running AirDisplay and had exactly the same problems: unresponsive on-screen and keyboard transport controls, loss of communication with my Tascam console (which also emulates a Mackie Control). At their advice I uninstalled the AirDisplay drivers and the problem seems to have cleared up.

So if you've got any third-party graphics gunk in your system, try cleaning it out.

Upvote 0
My 2010 i5 MBP is a general purpose machine: Logic (plus other DAW, stand alone instruments) used with various audio and MIDI interfaces, and Adobe CS6 with RAM and hd upgrades but no AirPlay. No problem.

My Display Preferences do have "Show mirroring options int the menu bar when available" checked on for LCD projector use.

Upvote 0
Lag issues

This is a very strange issue as all the fixes suggested seem to incrementally improve the situation. Thanks Jim for your help, I don't have any third party display drivers but the problem does seem to be related to the graphics. If I close all the plug in windows except the one I'm using it improves but does not go away. Also weirdly it seems to get worse the longer you run the session which seems to point to a cache loading up somewhere.

Very annoying I work hundreds of hours in Logic and have never had a problem at all, I regret going to Mountain Lion but needed to. I also run Logic on the latest MBpro 15 with the new screen for out off studio sessions but have not tried that yet.

For professional use the system is not usable so hope there is a fix soon

Upvote 0
Mine seems to have cleared up with the removal of AirDisplay. If you fix disk permissions after installing ML, you'll notice that most of the repairs are associated with OSX CoreGraphics, so you might want to give that a try as well.

Upvote 0
hey kevin, I seem to have the same problems as you do. Have you figured out any solutions yet?
I don't use AirDisplay.

2010 MB Pro 13, ML, Logic 9.1.7., 8 GB RAM

cheers
martin

Upvote 0
UPDATE: AIr Display was NOT the only problem.

After some long conversations with Apple Pro Apps techs, I finally talked to one who told me straight up that Mountain Lon had a problem with several of the drivers and softsynths I use, including stuff for my Tascam IF-FW/DMmkII interface and with some NI stuff (apparently there is a longer list), and that while it was not officially supported by Apple, the best thing to do was go back to Lion until things shook out. Which I did, and he was right... I can now use my control surface layer in my Tascam console, and make on-the-fly changes in all my plug ins without incident. I would recommend restoring Lon from your back up disc, or, failing that, doing a clean install of Lion and rebuilding the system.

I know some users are not experiencing these problems, but hundreds are, and over at logicprohelp.com, conventional wisdom states that ML is Not Ready For Prime Time. I'll try again when I see new drivers from Tascam and an update to Kontakt.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the update and the warnings Jim.

It's sad that Apple's new OS doesn't play nicely with their own software. Clearly Logic isn't near the top of everyone's list at Cupertino.

Upvote 0
hey kevin, I seem to have the same problems as you do. Have you figured out any solutions yet?
I don't use AirDisplay.

2010 MB Pro 13, ML, Logic 9.1.7., 8 GB RAM

cheers
martin
Hi Martin, Its a real pain in the A this one, no fix as yet. Its widespread in the logic community but only affect some systems. I think its a ML bug, would go back to Lion but not sure how to do that as the Apple site is very unhelpful. My machine came with Snow leopard installed. I work around by having no plug ins open while I work apart from the one I'm using, also the problem does not occur in record mode........ Pretty annoyed about this but I love Logic so will trudge on for a while.

Upvote 0
]
Hi Martin, Its a real pain in the A this one, no fix as yet. Its widespread in the logic community but only affect some systems. I think its a ML bug, would go back to Lion but not sure how to do that as the Apple site is very unhelpful. My machine came with Snow leopard installed. I work around by having no plug ins open while I work apart from the one I'm using, also the problem does not occur in record mode........ Pretty annoyed about this but I love Logic so will trudge on for a while.

If you upgraded to ML from Lion, then Lion is still available to you in the Purchases section of the App store.

The short story to all of this is to have a backup clone on which to test updates and upgrades before installing them on ones main system. External hard drives are cheap. A current back should always be available. Better yet, have a second ext hd clone backup on which to test your system, leaving the first backup untouched.

I posted a bunch of useful links here. https://logic-users-group.com/forums/threads/mountain-lion.6565/

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Colin, that is not what the problem was at all. Logic works great with Mountain Lion. It's the third party stuff that isn't ready.

I really wish people would stop making illogical leaps to the widea that Apple hates/is abandoning/doesn't care about Logic. There is no such evidence. I say again, Apple's software works fine with Apple's software, which is evidenced by the large number of people who are having NO problem running Logic under Mountain Lion. But some third party stuff in your system can screw it up, which is why only some of us are having these problems. Just as when Lion was introduced, it's gonna take a while before everybody catches up.

ANd just as CSEye says, it's smart to clone your startup drive before doing any OS upgrade. When I decided I wasn't going to get ML working with Logic the way I wanted, I was back on Lion in an hour, with all my e-mail and calendar stuff restored from the cloud.

Upvote 0
I certainly don't think Apple hates or is abandoning Logic Jim, I love Logic. I am a dope for not creating a bootable backup, it will not happen again. I accept the problem will come right and am looking to get back to Lion until it does. I also really appreciate everyones input on this forum, cheers,

Kevin
Apeople Management New Zealand

Upvote 0
Back