Logic Pro 8 Logic and Novation SL MKII experiences, anyone?

FUBARd

Logician
I have an Axiom 61 and don't really use it. I feel like I'd be alot better off with some good visual feedback like what the Novation SL MKII offers. I've read some bad feedback about the SL series but was wondering; Does anyone here have any experience using this series in depth? anyone can use a new controller to punch notes but I'm looking to find is; has anyone REALLY USED ONE to the advertised capabilities? If so, what problems and solutions have you encountered?

Thanx!
-Stu

The only I have with the Novation way is that all of your 3rd party plugs need to be wrapped in the Novation format so that the controllers can control them. Not a problem until you try to open a session in another system. Or if you update your plugins... The host will need to re-wrap them all over. It's a bit of an admin issue really and not a lot of fun compared to a mouse or an MCU (mackie controller) Its not a small effort and the overall gains beyond a mouse are a little disappointing.

Upvote 0
I'd also like to hear how others use this with Logic. I have one and use it, but not nearly to the advertised capacity. Reason: the mapping/software is complex to me, really complex, and I haven't the time. It takes, for me, much time to get these maps right, even once you get past the learning curve.

The keyboard itself is not really my favorite. I have others, and often thought that velocity was a "mushy" issue on this board. After numerous tests, I concluded that it was truly "mushy"; it has a slightly wider velocity range with my best efforts (and I'm a trained pianist, not a "general" musician.) It's OK, but not the best.

For my use, this thing is quite good for using soundscape/effect synths, setting up long developing tonal scapes, and even short effect synths like FM8 and Absynth, and for quick composition. But not for a final, like strings, where attack vel is crucial. I'm sure if one has the time, it would be well worth it. In its defense, it's quite well built, and Novation support is good.

If anyone has used this for Logic's effects, other than SWI like Sculpture, etc, I'd like to know if it's been worth the great effort.

Upvote 0
Novation SL

<-- getting very good results from Novation SL...

Big reason is Automap- there is not too much that is that special about the hardware itself- but the AutoMap system works very well with Logic and Ableton Live...

And I'm slowly figuring out that with AutoMap being native in Logic and Live now- you actually *don't* want to use the wrapped versions of the plug ins anymore, you use the regular versions and the host uses AutoMap to reconcile plug-in control. This messed me up with the last few updates to AutoMap and the hosts, I was constantly grabbing for the wrapped versions and this confused the hosts. I think you still need the wrapped versions for other hosts, like ProTools or something... AutoMap is Native to Logic and Live...

Upvote 0
I'm slowly figuring out that with AutoMap being native in Logic and Live now- you actually *don't* want to use the wrapped versions of the plug ins anymore, you use the regular versions and the host uses AutoMap to reconcile plug-in control.

Hi Eddie,

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I just got a Novation controller (Impulse) with Automap 4.3 and am trying to wrap my head around it (pun intended):D

Can you elaborate on what you wrote above? Admittedly I've only just began dipping my toes into Automap water, but it seems that if you don't use the wrapped versions of third party plug-ins, the keyboard's knobs/buttons/faders don't communicate with the plug-in controls.

Upvote 0
Back