Logic Pro 8 Logic and the Garritan Orchestra

jmahoney

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use the Garritan Orchestra that comes with Finale in Logic projects. I have Finale 2009 and Logic Studio Pro 8.02.
Someone mentioned that since Finale uses the Native Instruments Kontakt as a shell for Garritan that it can't be used by other programs. When I attempt to load the Garritan instruments through Logic, I get the following message:

KontaktPlayer2
There was an error trying to acquire a license for this patch! Error message:

You haven't entered a serial # yet. Please use the Service Center to enter the correct serial #.

I don't find "Service Center" when I search the Logic help.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John

Hi,

I'm wondering if it is possible to use the Garritan Orchestra that comes with Finale in Logic projects. I have Finale 2009 and Logic Studio Pro 8.02.
Someone mentioned that since Finale uses the Native Instruments Kontakt as a shell for Garritan that it can't be used by other programs. When I attempt to load the Garritan instruments through Logic, I get the following message:

KontaktPlayer2
There was an error trying to acquire a license for this patch! Error message:

You haven't entered a serial # yet. Please use the Service Center to enter the correct serial #.

I don't find "Service Center" when I search the Logic help.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, John
The "service center" is Native Instruments' mechanism for registration and authorization of the various NI instruments, including Kontakt 2, Kontact 3, Reaktor, FM8, Battery, etc.

Upvote 0
That version of Garritan will only open in Finale. I have the same situation with Sibelius' G7 Kontact version and it will only open in G7. You may want to look into Redmatica Keymap's ability to create sample libraries for ESX24 as a work around. I use Garritan Personal Orchestra and It's a great program for the money.

Upvote 0
Really??!! Cool!

That version of Garritan will only open in Finale. I have the same situation with Sibelius' G7 Kontact version and it will only open in G7. You may want to look into Redmatica Keymap's ability to create sample libraries for ESX24 as a work around. I use Garritan Personal Orchestra and It's a great program for the money.

I have GPO (with the Kontakt Player) and although I find the sounds quite useful, I really feel like I'm trying to 'draw with my left hand' when I'm using the Kontakt Player. I also have Keymap, so I'm quite interested in the notion of using it to convert GPO to an EXS instrument. But (I'm away from my rig right now) aren't the GPO samples encoded into some kind of impenetrable archive? Or have you successfully done this?

Upvote 0
What does the license agreement say to this idea?

Hmm. I hadn't thought of that, so I checked it, and it looks like I wouldn't actually be transgressing the license agreement if I managed to convert the instruments to EXS instruments, but it turns out I was right, and the samples are all packed in impenetrable .nks archives which Keymap can't do anything with.:(

Upvote 0
I have no experience in sampling. I just suggested he "look into it" as a possible work around. My understanding is that any sound that can be recorded could be mapped in a program like Keymap. Is this an oversimplified view that wouldn't work?

Upvote 0
I have no experience in sampling. I just suggested he "look into it" as a possible work around. My understanding is that any sound that can be recorded could be mapped in a program like Keymap. Is this an oversimplified view that wouldn't work?

You're absolutely correct about sampling in Keymap, but because the samples are locked in an archive, I would have to play them all out one note at a time and re-record them into accessible audio files before using Keymap to re-assemble them into EXS instruments, a very long process, given GPO's very large instrument set. I'm just 'way too lazy to attempt such an undertaking!

Upvote 0
I may have misunderstood this, but wouldn't Redmatica's AutoSampler be capable of tackling that task? Or would that only work with hardware sound sources? Maybe somebody with Redmatica could be so kind as to shed some light on this?

UPDATE:

I posted the question at the Redmatica subforum and got this response:

from a technical point of view, AutoSampler can be used with hardware *and* software instruments, so any virtual instrument can be autosampled. From a legal point of view, you should check Garritan's licensing agreement to see if it allows the resampling of the library for your own personal use.

Andrea
Redmatica

Upvote 0
I may have misunderstood this, but wouldn't Redmatica's AutoSampler be capable of tackling that task? Or would that only work with hardware sound sources? Maybe somebody with Redmatica could be so kind as to shed some light on this?

UPDATE:

I posted the question at the Redmatica subforum and got this response:

from a technical point of view, AutoSampler can be used with hardware *and* software instruments, so any virtual instrument can be autosampled. From a legal point of view, you should check Garritan's licensing agreement to see if it allows the resampling of the library for your own personal use.

Andrea
Redmatica

Syarikat, I am also trying to find a way to use these products[EXS, Redmatica, and Garritan ]. I understand you discovered that the Garritans are locked in and can't be used for this-but the many posts make it difficult to know what the situation is, if I understand it correctly AutoSampler can't unlock the samples from the.nks format. have you heard of any progress in solving this issue?

Upvote 0
David51, the thread in the Redmatica subforum here in LUG covers this a little more clearly, but the most important part of it is Andrea's link to the how-to video:

http://www.redmatica.com/movies/AutosamplingES2.mov

The process described in the video works for any software instrument including Garritan, although it's not strictly 'unlocking the .nks format' so much as re-sampling the sounds that are locked in the .nks archive. HTH

Upvote 0
David51, the thread in the Redmatica subforum here in LUG covers this a little more clearly, but the most important part of it is Andrea's link to the how-to video:

http://www.redmatica.com/movies/AutosamplingES2.mov

The process described in the video works for any software instrument including Garritan, although it's not strictly 'unlocking the .nks format' so much as re-sampling the sounds that are locked in the .nks archive. HTH

Thanks sonnykeyes, I had tried to find that video on the redmatica site but failed. I need all the notes not just every 6th note of a scale, so it would be a huge amount of time and I'm looking for something that will get the music flowing again instead of building software,which I am not actually able to do. If I had the money I would buy the Redmatica software and hire someone to make all the articulations easily available, but-no more money.

Since this is a Logic forum I won't go off topic and just hope to find a way to control the articulations some other way.

Logic Pro's:does anyone know the way to get the JamPack 4 instruments to respond , as they should, via the mod wheel? I did assign it one time a few years ago to volume automation, the assignation must have survived Logic Express 8 and is still there, somewhere, in my Logic Pro 9-but how does one find the place in Logic where that can be fixed? I often look at videos about using Logic but the main focus of them is for live performance or mixing pre-exiting audio snippets or loops. There must be a small number of Logic users who are composers and don't need to know how to beat-map an audio file to "correct " the drummer.

About the GPO-on the Wind Controller forum warnings have been posted that the Garritan sounds all have a small silence at the start which makes using a wind controller useless-breath control of the volume and velocity are sent in fine detail by the controller, but the velocity levels must smoothly progress as one increases the air flow from almost nothing[ppp] to blowing fairly hard[fff]. This applies to the Aria Player as well as the other stand alone or plugin Garritan Players, as far as I have understood the players reporting this. Most sample libraries are intended for keyboard synths and do not all work well with wind controllers, they say. In ten years it will all be sorted out, but I would rather make music now.
Thanks to you all for helping.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0
Back