Logic Pro 9 Logic arpeggio from a new environment layer

nikotek

Logician
Hi all,

I am trying to create an arpeggio from a new dedicated arpeggio layer, so there is no object on my click and port or audio instrument layer and I need to record the arpeggiated notes from that arpeggio.
From this new layer i cannot or didn t manage to cable the output of the arpeggio to the seq input, only to note input, and when i do so, it obviously doesn t work.

PS: I know how to create arpeggios from the click and port layer, with cables switcher etc etc, i also know how to get the arpeggio working on the original midi note i played, from any layer...

What i need is to create a new layer, then a new arpeggio, and then being able to record the arpegiatted note from that layer. (without bouncing)

Any help please...

TA

It should work if you option click on the cable node and connect it to the Input Notes object. As long as that Input Notes object ultimately leads to the Sequencer Input.

It doesn't seem like the Sequencer Input object is directly accessible as a cabling destination from the option click drop down menu selections (even when the icon for it is checked on). But by cabling it to the Input Notes first though, you have the added advantage of being able to see the arpeggiated notes displayed on the keyboard as they are being recorded.

Upvote 0
Hi thanks for your reply,

It will work if i cable the sum output to the arpeggio, but in that case it does not make any sense to create a new layer... better create the arpeggiator in the click and port..

Do you see what i mean?

Is it not possible to record an arpeggio output (arpeggiated note) from a new layer ??

Upvote 0
The important thing is that the arpeggiator is cabled between the physical input and the sequencer input. It doesn't really matter what layer it is on. You can option click on the little triangles to cable to objects on different layers. But for some reason, the sequencer input object doesn't seem to be an available destination. So, use the Input Notes object as the destination if the arpeggiator is on a different layer. That will work fine, as long as it is ultimately cabled to the sequencer input.

So, again, just to reiterate: the important thing is that the arpeggiator be cabled after the physical input but before the sequencer input. That way the arpeggiator's output will be recorded.

HTH.....

Upvote 0
Hi Eli,

Thanks again for getting back to me.
I understand what you are saying, but i know that there is a way to achieve what i am trying to do in an other way. If i cable the physical input to the arpeggio and then the arpeggio to the input note, it would work but it does not make sense to create a new layer, better stay on the click and port, rather than changing the whole midi flow.

It is crazy, i know there is a way but i can t remember it, i posted thread all over the net, checked all the tutorials, contacted apple's logic support, read the logic manual 10 times, but nothing at all. Maybe it is not possible and i m just confused.

In that case the only way to record the output of an arpeggio is to bounce in real time, or to place it in the midi path between the physical in and the seq input on the click and port. Or to create a new seq input on the new layer, which is basically creating a new click and port layer.

This thing is really bugging me. :((

Anyway, thank you, i am going to see if someone else comes with an answer to my question, otherwise, i ll create my arpeggio and my cable switcher on my click and port layer and create new layers for the other objects, instruments etc etc.

Upvote 0
If i cable the physical input to the arpeggio and then the arpeggio to the input note, it would work but it does not make sense to create a new layer, better stay on the click and port, rather than changing the whole midi flow.

so, stay on the clicks and ports layer. Why are you trying to do it on another layer? There's no need.You're making it more complicated than it needs to be.

It is crazy, i know there is a way but i can t remember it,

I don't understand the problem. You yourself just wrote how to do it in the quote above this one?!? You wrote: "If i cable the physical input to the arpeggio and then the arpeggio to the input note, it would work"

In that case the only way to record the output of an arpeggio is to bounce in real time, or to place it in the midi path between the physical in and the seq input on the click and port.

There - you've just answered your own question again about how to do it:

"place it in the midi path between the physical in and the seq input on the click and port."

Upvote 0
Hi,

I know, it is just technical. Only technical. I just can t remember how to use this arpeggio from a new layer and i am trying to achieve it again. It is not a problem.
Sorry it might sound ridiculous, but i just try to see if someone knows how to record the output of the arpeggio from a new layer.

I just would like to keep all my objects on dedicated new objects layers.

Thanks for your time, i appriciate it.

:)

Upvote 0
if you option click on the cable node and connect it to the Input Notes object.

Hi guys,

I did not have time to read the all thread but I want to add one small "ESSENTIAL" detail to the Mr.Eli's advice above! What I see is that Eli showed the proper method for "Cabling thru Different Environment layers" by selecting the object and holding the Option key and it is 100% valid.

To make this happen you need to select the "Input View" Monitor object in the Click & Ports environment layer and check its ICON BOX in the Inspector, otherwise the target Environment object will not be shown in the flip menu when you hold the Option key so you can not cable to it !

A.G

Upvote 0
Hi Tangra,

The one inconsistency I have found is that if you enable the icon for the actual Sequencer Input object, it still won't show up as an available environment object destination when option clicking from a different layer. It will work though with the input view or note input keyboard. Just not the actual sequencer input.

The OP mentioned that when he cabled to the note input (keyboard) object, it didn't work. I haven't had time to actually check this myself on my system to verify. It "should" work; but maybe it doesn't.

Upvote 0
It "should" work; but maybe it doesn't.

Hi Eli,

It must work 100% with the Input View or the Virtual Keyb !
You are right about the Sequencer object icon issue - thanks for pointing that.
By the way the Sequencer and the Arpeggiator are not just objects for example. These special "objects" are mini macros and what you see as a visual object is just the GUI alias of the mini macro. As an example the Arpeggiator is a "sub" macro of the Sequencer object macro. You have a visual control (in the Inspector) of the internal parameters of the Arp macro when select the Arpeggiator object. It could be nice if there were some visual parameter in the inspector for the Sequencer macro parameters control etc.

A.G

Upvote 0
Hi guys,

Ok, thank you. I was away last 2 days, and i just checked your answers. I am going to try again and i let you know. I know it should work, but i could not make it happen again.

Thanks for your time.
:)

Upvote 0
Back