Logic Pro 9 Logic freezing during plug in use.

Beef

Logician
Hey all, so I have been having a problem with Logic in the last few days. Whenever I am working on a project, and I open up a plug in to tweak the settings, everything will freeze for a bit. The only thing ill be able to do is move the plug in window around. After a minute or two of waiting it'll usually start working again. If I try to click onto the main screen while a plug in window is still open, it'll go back to being frozen. This also happens within the Sample Editor. Is this a problem that anybody else has been having? Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks

I am running 10.8 Mountain Lion on a 27" iMac with a 2.7Ghz processor and 16GB RAM. When the problem was occurring my logic was version 9.1.6, but I updated it to 9.1.7 last night after posting this. I have yet to try it and see if anything changed.

As far as what plug ins, its mostly just the built in ones, like Channel EQ, Amp Dsn, Adaptive Limiter, etc. Also the Sample Editor.

It has only happened to me in one project so I am going to open an old one and see if it has the same issue.

Upvote 0
When I was having this problem, it went away after I removed a couple of things that may have been interfering.

1. AirDisplay, a third-party graphics handler that allows you to use an iPad as a remote touch display. I'd heard reports that third-party grpahics drivers might be interfering with Logic's graphics handling.

2. Mackie Control. I was trying to use the control surface layer in my Tascam DM3200, which emulates a Mackie Control. I can make the problem come back almost instantly by re-installing the MC drivers in Logic, and fix it again instantly by removing the installation, trashing Logic's control surface prefs (the .cs file in prefs) and restarting. Logic will run for days on end, 10 hours a day, without a hiccup, and will immediately begin the behavior you describe if I put the Mackie Control back, so....

Are you using any third-party graphics drivers or any kind of Mackie Control emulation? I'm not saying this is the ONLY possible cause of the problem, but it was clearly the cause on my system, as mine is now running clean.

Upvote 0
This also happen here, depending of what is running along with Logic and if I have several hardware plugged (USB powered ones). I noticed that when instanciating 32bits plugins with 64 ones in the same project this also occurs more often. I have read that saving project files on the system drive is also a source of problem, especially on audio intensive projects.

Upvote 0
Mr Atlas, I have had major issues in the past when using a Laptop and saving my session on the only drive I had: the Mac HD. It corrupted my drive to the point that my system wouldn't even boot up any more.

So, yea, don't use your system drive to save your Logic songs on.. bad!

Upvote 0
I am not using any third party graphics control or anything like that, however the project that I am having the problem on is alot of audio, and I am saving it on my system drive. I didnt realize that would be a problem and never had issues with it before.

Upvote 0
I think I've found the answer, after a lot of conversation with Apple. And the problem is Mountain Lion... maybe not with Logic, but with a whole lot of other stuff you might be running in Logic.

NI Kontakt, Tascam audio drivers, third party graphics handlers, who knows what else, blah blah blah blah... there is a loooong list of things that don't work well in ML. The Apple Pro Apps Tech I talked to today made it clear that the problems I've been experiencing (unresponsive transport controls, endless "hang" on loading a file, etc), could all be traced to incompatibilities with NI Kontakt and ML.

So, on his advice, I went back to Lion (having a clone of my pre- update startup disk). And everything worked perfectly. The Mackie Control surface layer the I thought was the source of the problem works perfectly with no tweaking. Enen with those controls in place I can still hook up an iDevice running OSCTouch (was was impossible before). Controls are completely responsive, and Logic is, apparently, workable again.

So, if there is anyway you can go back to Lion, I highly recommend it.

Upvote 0
Well, Lion works great, and its iCloud integration features have become central to my workflow... the whole "office in my pocket" aspect of integrating my iDevices with the studio Mac are invaluable. Since installing Lion and porting my land line to my iPhone, I am up-to-the-minute no matter where I am.... I've stopped in the middle of a bike ride to take a client call and schedule a meeting, secure in knowing that the meeting was already on my main calendar in the studio.

But Lion DIDN'T work so great when it was new... or, to be fair, all your third-party stuff didn't work so great with Lion, because the devs got caught sans pants in terms of Lion's new disk structuring. The same thing is happening now with Mountain Lion's graphics handling, etc.

ML will be swell once all the third party stuff catches up, but for now (and I have this from the only Pro Apps tech at Apple who would fess up, thank you so much, my friend), you're better off sticking with Lion. Or, Snow Leopard, if you prefer. :D

Upvote 0
Back