Logic Pro 9 Logic Freezing in ML

Hi all,
I am suffering this freeze issue big time with plug ins, thats any plug in running during play back. It only happens during playback not record. Logic will just keep on running and nothing I can do will stop it everything freezes. This has only started happening since we went from Snow Leopard to ML on our main studio machine a new (8months) old imac 27 2.8. We went to Mountain lion to use the cloud feature and I purchased the upgrade? from Apple on line.

I need to mix tracks every day so this has really stumped me. We have a new 15 MBpro retina which seems OK with Logic but need that for other work. The Imac ran every day without fault in Snow Leopard, nothing else changed. Using a Presonus V18.18 interface.

Apple appear disinterested in this problem at this time although I am sure a fix is coming, any ideas from anyone? should I just download Snow Leopard again, I really need to work.

Kevin

I had a great conversation with a Pro Apps tech at Apple, who did some digging and found that minor incompatibilities with various third-party stuff (in my case it was NI Kontakt, Tascam audio drivers and a driver for AirDisplay) causes these problems of unresponsiveness on Logic. He passed me over to the Systems people, who were kind enough to say, uh, yeah, going back an OS X version isn't officially supported by Apple, but if for some crazy reason that's what you wanted to do, you would go about it like this....

So, yes, go back to whatever previous version of OS X you like best. For me, going back to Lion fixed everything and Logic started running like a Audi Quattro.

There's already an update to ML (10.8.1 is out now), and I'm expecting updates from NI and Tascam shortly, so when all that dust settles, I'll give it another go, but not until.

Upvote 0
Third party plug-ins?
Running ok with native Logic plug-ins?

I've seen it suggested to remove the first half of 3rd party plug-ins the Components folder. Drag them into your created Components (Disabled) folder on the desktop or within the Plug-ins folder.

If ok, drag 'em back in, then remove the second half.

This is a quick way to narrow down the problematic plug-ins.

Upvote 0
A problem-solving approach was offered to narrow down the search for errant plug-ins. If not now with ML, then maybe this will be useful to you and others like the original thread starter, at some point in the future.

The AU manager indicates when a plug-in crashes validation. One can also uncheck plug-ins so that they're not available to Logic. (No Plug-In Sets for Safe or Disable All as in DP this time.) It's always better to rescan them in 32 bit mode when reactivating them, before switching back to 64 bit mode.

You mentioned having issues with Kontakt. Did it show up as passing or crashing validation?

Kontakt 5 works great with 10.8 here.

Upvote 0
I guess I didn't say what I meant to say.

I know what steps one would take if one needed to figure out which plug in was the problem. But because I am using this software professionally, with deadline looming, I do not have time or the inclination to care beans am not removing any of the plug-ins I use daily in favor of ML even if I know which one it is - So i simply did what the Apple Pro Apps tech recommended, which was to go back to my backed-Lion partition and get back to work. My point is that there isn't anything in OS X 10.8 that improves my workflow (not the way Lion did, for example, with it's complete iCloud integration), so there's no reason for me to experiment in order to getting it running... I just want to get some music out the door. :D

So that's why I'm not wasting time tracking down why ML, Logic and some of my AU plugs won't work right together.

Upvote 0
But others may have the time, inclination or need to identify errant plug-ins in their system. There are users at all levels here with information freely offered by members to the benefit of all. Yours included.

You still didn't indicate if Kontakt crashed validation or passed it but caused problems down the line.

Upvote 0
Hi all, I had a huge problem with freezes, but not limited to Logic,at first I thought it was the EWSymphonic choirs plug in that caused the freeze, but removing all EW products seemed to help at first it slowly became obvious that my up graded 2007 iMac had a graphics GPU from ATI, Radeon2400 and when I had moved up from 10.5.8 to 10.6 the freezes came very often, I took it to an Apple Store and they replaced the 4GB RAMM and charged me €150,I wish they had called first so I could have said I could replace the RAMM myself if that was the problem. The problem is that brand of chipset graphics GPU,my MBP has NVIDEA GPU and never freezes. i don't have the skills to replace the GPU so I must try to find an Honest, onsite, Mac repairman here in Amsterdam. I did waste a lot of work time trying to isolate the plug in but it was all in vain as the problem is with the new European Apple rule that they don't do up grades,unless it is RAMM which is so easy to replace that they earn a few Euros, Jobs is turning in his grave at the changes being introduced at Apple,oh well, still the best IMHO.

Upvote 0
Was having this problem with ML and Logic and assumed it was my NI plug ins. Just updated Massive, Reaktor, FM8, Kontakt and have been running through without problems (knock on wood). From my side, I noticed it would freeze when I had a playback loop and tried to add additional fx or eq in the channel strip.

If you were running NI plugs, update via the service center. They posted a few fixes last week that may solve the problem with those particular plug ins.

Upvote 0
The problem is definitely when you have plugins open. Doen't seem to matter what they are, the apple ones are as bad as any other. The latest Apple upgrade for 10.8 does not fix it I think I will take Jims advice and go back to Lion which is real pain. Thanks for all the help guys.

Upvote 0
The problem is definitely when you have plugins open. Doen't seem to matter what they are, the apple ones are as bad as any other. The latest Apple upgrade for 10.8 does not fix it I think I will take Jims advice and go back to Lion which is real pain. Thanks for all the help guys.

In my case, the upgrade to ML was from a clean install of Lion. No issues as you describe.

Strange how a range of setups work without issues during an upgrade while (many) others cause headaches.

Not sure if it matters, but I've alway completed an annual backup, erase, clean install routine which is a PITA. However it's resulted in a smooth computing experience even back in the OS9 daze and beyond.

Upvote 0
Back