Logic Pro 9 Logic Losing MIDI Devices

I'm having a weird problem that after installing 9.1.1, Logic frequently looses MIDI devices on startup.

I have to go into the Prefences->MIDI->General and use 'Reset All MIDI Devices' to bring them back.

Anyone else seen this issue and found the source of the problem?

Thanks,

JB

I'm having a weird problem that after installing 9.1.1, Logic frequently looses MIDI devices on startup.

I have to go into the Prefences->MIDI->General and use 'Reset All MIDI Devices' to bring them back.
Maybe instead starting Logic by double click on the project file (or right click the project file and choose "Open with...") or using startup actions "Open most recent project" or "Create New Project Using Default Template", you may try to use startup action "Ask" in Logic, and load the desired project from the dialog window that comes up.

Best...

Manfred

Upvote 0
What MIDI interface are you using? I doubt this is a Logic issue and think that if you looked in the AMS (Audio Midi Setup application found in utilities) you'll see your device grayed our until you rescan. This may be a MIDI driver issue, or could be a battery issue with your interface.

Upvote 0
FWIW, I often lose MIDI contact with my MT 4. I find that launching AMS and hitting the Rescan button seems to usually jar things back to life. It's quicker than quitting and restarting Logic.

Upvote 0
Actually, the very strange thing is that Logic does not loose the physical MIDI devices, but the software-based MIDI devices, including MusicLab's MIDIoverLAN and IAC devices.

Well, I should say that I've had an issue with the MOTU devices getting lost and recreated with a new instance every time I boot the system, but that may be a different issue altogether.

So, as it stands, Logic only looses track of the software device drivers.

Upvote 0
I am also having this problem. AMS sees & tests ok, but Logic does not see my X-Station midi until I power cycle it (separate PS, not bus powered). ALso, the physical input shows a node, but no name for the X-Station. Sometimes I have to manually reconnect it.

Upvote 0
What MIDI interface are you using? I doubt this is a Logic issue and think that if you looked in the AMS (Audio Midi Setup application found in utilities) you'll see your device grayed our until you rescan. This may be a MIDI driver issue, or could be a battery issue with your interface.

Well, AMS doesn't seem to loose the software device drivers, as they are listed and functioning. Everything looks good there when I start up Logic. So, this seems to point at Logic either not scanning the device drivers on startup, or just having issues with it.

Once I rescan the device drivers in Logic, everything is fine.

It's not a huge deal, as I can get the software MIDI devices back with rescanning them in Logic. Just frustrating with all the other little things in Logic that don't seem to work right...

JB

Upvote 0
Well, AMS doesn't seem to loose the software device drivers, as they are listed and functioning. Everything looks good there when I start up Logic. So, this seems to point at Logic either not scanning the device drivers on startup, or just having issues with it.

Once I rescan the device drivers in Logic, everything is fine.

It's not a huge deal, as I can get the software MIDI devices back with rescanning them in Logic. Just frustrating with all the other little things in Logic that don't seem to work right...

JB

This is exactly my experience (and sentiment) as well.

Upvote 0
And in my case because the Midi Devices are not located the cables from the input object to the various destinations that I have setup all get deleted and I have to reconnect everything. Did anyone find a solution?

I thought it might be MT4 and the various USB Midi devices that I had connected (Dark Energy and Dark Time and Virus TI) but I replaced the MT4 with a Unitor 8 and stripped out all the USB devices I could, whilst retaining my Launchpad and Remote 25 SL but the problem is still there.

Super frustrating.

Anyone made any progress with this?

Thanks

Upvote 0
Gareth, this could be an USB issue. I guess you use one or more USB hubs? They should be active of course (with their own power supply). Try to use only one hub and if the problem remains try another hub. If it is always the same device that fails, try without the hub.

I have always problems with USB devices and their behavior changes if I change the connections. At the moment I have 9 USB connections and everything is ok but I cannot plug any combination of devices to the two hubs I'm using. If something goes wrong, I try another combination

I am not sure if the brand of an USB hub really matters. Cannot tell if my Belkin or the cheaper ednet hub is better. I rather think it is a general USB problem. Once I used extremly cheap hubs and they worked better than all I had before ... until they died ...

Upvote 0
Slightly OT from the original post issue but echoing Peter's comment on hubs.....

Recently I had been regularly losing my Axiom Pro 49 (not just in Logic, but other DAWs as well) - it was not showing up in AMS either. After replacing cords and other tests, I came to suspect the hub - replacing it cured the problem. That is the first one to go bad on me since I've been using USB.

To the OP - an upgrade to 9.1.5 might fix this.... (back up first!)

Upvote 0
Back