Logic Pro 9 Logic not using all cores??..

tigerman

Logician
Please explain track freeze and how do I use it? How do I check the activity monitor on my iMac?
to check logic cpu/hd usage simply double click on the left side of the transport, where there are the little bars, a bigger display will open with more detailed infos

track freeze is just a simple "bounce in place" of the current channel, it will create a 32bit audio file of the currently selected track.

when you should use it ?
when you have 1 or more cpus maxed out

when you shouldn't use it?
when your HD meter bar is maxed out, freezing will significantly increase your hd workload, expecially because, as i have said, bounces are in 32bit, if you have also hd streaming problems it's best to solo the channel and bounce it normally at 16 or 24 bit, or move some audio file to another hd to split the workload.

you can't edit the channel when is freezed obviously, you can only move volume slider and some other few things...
bouncing normally will give you more flexibility as you can play with the audio file as usual.

you can also load the frozen track into a new audio channel, just duplicate the freeze file located on your project folder (and maybe move it away from the freeze file folder) and drag it over the audio bin.

Xill

Logician
I am suffering from the same issue on an iMac i7.

2 Absynth instances are peaking one core while the 7 others are sleeping. My Kontakt orchestra instances are in standalone mode, so they do not affect Logic processing much. If I run the Absynth in standalone and re-rout the adio everything is fine.

For a while I thought ReWire sync, Jack Osx, or Soundflower audio routing were the source of the problem, but I am not sure anymore.

Seems nobody found a real solution. I presume it's a real bug.

So Xill,

question: you say that Absynth runs fine in stand alone, and not in Logic. If you open the activity monitor and take a look at the same patch in Absynth that overloads Logic, how much of a core it it using? How does the overload in Logic manifest itself: noise, crackling, audio drop out?

I would be interested in knowing the Absynth patch you are using so I can do a little detective work over here at my studio (since i do tech for a living, this could be very helpful).

Xill

Logician
So Xill,

question: you say that Absynth runs fine in stand alone, and not in Logic. If you open the activity monitor and take a look at the same patch in Absynth that overloads Logic, how much of a core it it using? How does the overload in Logic manifest itself: noise, crackling, audio drop out?

I would be interested in knowing the Absynth patch you are using so I can do a little detective work over here at my studio (since i do tech for a living, this could be very helpful).
Hi George,
I'm using my own patch and they are not cpu intensive. They are currently not peaking the core but if I add 2 more absynth instances on different channels they go on the same core as the other 2 and one core peaks (crakles and sometimes logic cpu message). When it peaks in Logic the overall cpu activity in the activity monitor application is around 20%.

Anyway, I found the cause:
I verified again and it definitively has to do with software audio routing. It does this when Jack osx or Soundflower are selected as audio input devices. When I use the main system output or my firebox, Logic attributes a different core to each of Absynth instances. I contacted Jack OsX's programmer a while ago and he had no idea why this is happening...

The thing is I am extremely dependent on Jack osX right now because I rout my orchestra in 64 stereo bus. I would need to find 4000$ around to do the same with hardware ADAT (and buy 4 motu mk3) and get the same sounding result (but get around the multicore problem).

I can still record over 50 tracks at once using this configuration (while playing 8 gigs (ram usage) of sampled instruments in Kontakt), the 7200 hard drive write capacity peaks eventually but the cpu is barely working out.

When using Absynth in Stand Alone it uses all my cores and then I can rout the audio back to Logic with quasi unnoticeable cpu impact.

I hope this clarify things out.

Sirthoms

Logician
Hi, I have the same problem with Kontakt in Logic Pro 9.1.4. I have the latest Mac Pro Cuad Core, 2.8Ghz Intel Xeon. 8Gb of memmory.

Logic only uses ONE core out of eight for everything. So for example, I can´t load up more then about 6-9 LA Scoring Strings patches (I´m using LPG Speed for experimentation) in kontakt multi instrument (16 stereo out). The last of the eight cores is peaking right away, and there is no way I can use big librarys in kontakt using logic.

When I´m using Kontakt in standalone mode it works flawlessly. Also tried bootcamp with windows 7 using Cubase, and all the cores are active like they should be. Only in logic it doesn´t work...

So is there a solution for this yet? I don´t know if I understand Xill right, but I have tried to create lots of busses, and rout the different instruments through them. But still only one core is active.

Would relly appreciate some help. I am considering buying a Mbox and start using Pro Tools instead, if this problem isn´t solved very soon. Because I can´t work at all right now.

Thanks in advance!

Sirthoms, I suspect that you are using a single instance of Kontakt with multiple channels going, correct?

Xill, looks like Logic sees 1 instance of Jack OS as a single instance regardless of how many tracks are enabled or connected to Logic... sounds like the developer is perhaps only using single thread processing or something like this, because Logic seems to be able to see individual instances of Absynth when they are being used as they normally would be.

Q, why aren't you just using Logic's internal bussing for your 64 "stems"... it works fine, just make the tracks, name them per stem, buss your parts to the correct busses, and make sure you have auto input enabled. You can actually do an entire 64 track stem mix in one pass, seen it work great...

Sirthoms

Logician
georgelegeriii - Yes that´s right. Not the right way to do it? Do you mind sending my a screenshot on how to set kontakt up in logic? I´m new to logic and don´t really understand how to do it. (Well I understand how to do it, but not how to do it without this bug with the CPU using only one core) Would really appreciate it! thomas.lundgren@live.se

Thanks you!

Hi thomas...

Simple: each instance of Kontakt should only have 1 sound inside of it, unless it is needed to do something like an articulation.

What happens is that you end up using all the different instruments's reverbs, and any other special DSP based methods the programmer used to make the sound work. And because Logic works the way it does (well, lets be honest, they all currently do this I believe) you want to spread any DSP use among as many different tracks and parts as you can.

So, I instance of Kontakt, 1 sound. Don't use multitimberal versions of Kontakt, they will overload the CPU core they are being used for.

The same reason Logic is best used on a faster core rather than more cores... I'd suggest getting a 4 core 3.2 GHZ system rather than an 8 core 2.2 GHZ system. It will be better used in the long run, especially if you use high DSP plug-ins (Sculpture, Ace are 2 of the big ones).

Sirthoms

Logician
Ok, but the problem is that it doesn´t matter if I use like 16 stereo Kontakt Inst, or just one Kontakt with 16 multiout.. The CPU uses only one core anyway.. So what did I miss?

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
What is Processing Threads set to? You can find this under Preferences -> Audio -> Devices.

kind regards

Mark

Sirthoms

Logician
I have tried both automatic, 8 and 4. Same for all of them, only one core is active, none of the others.. Only me experiencing this??

And there won't be a difference, you are still using the same thing: 1 instance of kontakt to run allot of sounds...

Make a single stereo out instance of Kontakt, add your sound, then make an entirely NEW instance of an instrument, add a stereo instance of kontakt, then load your sound, and on and on.

You end up with 16 stereo instances of kontakt with 16 sounds, that will allow your DSP to balance just fine...

GET IT? Does that make sense now?

Sirthoms

Logician
No, I still don´t get it. Beacause what I said before:

"Ok, but the problem is that it doesn´t matter if I use like 16 stereo Kontakt Inst, or just one Kontakt with 16 multiout.. The CPU uses only one core anyway.. So what did I miss? "

I am doing exacly as you said: "Make a single stereo out instance of Kontakt, add your sound, then make an entirely NEW instance of an instrument, add a stereo instance of kontakt, then load your sound, and on and on."

But still only one core is active...

Xill

Logician
And there won't be a difference, you are still using the same thing: 1 instance of kontakt to run allot of sounds...

Make a single stereo out instance of Kontakt, add your sound, then make an entirely NEW instance of an instrument, add a stereo instance of kontakt, then load your sound, and on and on.

You end up with 16 stereo instances of kontakt with 16 sounds, that will allow your DSP to balance just fine...

GET IT? Does that make sense now?
Hey George, it does makes sense and would perhaps get around the multicore bug. The thing for me however is efficiency. I run everything in Standalone because it's much much more stable that way. My Kontakt setup actually uses 128 banks of articulations (2x64 channels instances) and many midi controllers are totally scripted, it's huge and I'm sure it would run better when connected directly to the notation program than through Logic.

Thanks for proposing a workaround the multicore problem, but I have no time to reprogram and reload the entire setup in Logic and feel I would have a lot of midi problems afterwards [Logic midi routing is a pain when dealing with more than 16 channels]. And just personally I prefer by far the few multitimbral Kontakt instances when loading many hundreds of articulations.

Anyway, I'll wait until a company release a module with 8 Adat i/o and will have my solution there. Do you know about such a module beside the not-affordable Apogee Symphony?

Sirthoms

Logician
Why doesn´t it work for me then?? For example, I open 10 Inst tracks, and load one Kontakt Stereo into each one of them, 10 Kontakt Stereo that is. And only one core is active....... I´m on the edge of giving up.. plz help someone

Xill

Logician
Why doesn´t it work for me then?? For example, I open 10 Inst tracks, and load one Kontakt Stereo into each one of them, 10 Kontakt Stereo that is. And only one core is active....... I´m on the edge of giving up.. plz help someone
It's not working for me either with Logic.
At least in standalone mode Kontakt is using all the cores.

I would suggest you rout the midi to kontakt (with a software like Midi Pipe) and the audio back to Logic (with Jack os x or Soundflower) if you want to use all your cores for the sampling.

Sirthoms

Logician
Xill!!.. Thank you so much for that, realize that I`ve missed that out earlier in this thred.. but anyway.. it now works perfectly with Jack os x...

Thanks!!

Xill

Logician
Xill!!.. Thank you so much for that, realize that I`ve missed that out earlier in this thred.. but anyway.. it now works perfectly with Jack os x...

Thanks!!
Pleasure!
in my opinion, for stability and system usage, it's better to use softwares only for what they're best at doing, in standalone mode.
Here I have it organized this way:

Sibelius or Finale [dedicated to notation] midi out -->
midi in --> Kontakt instances [dedicated to sampling] audio out -->
midi in --> other standalone synths / audio out -->
audio in --> Logic [dedicated to recording, plugins, automation and at last resort synths that cannot be run in standalone mode]

I have it setup like this because I write everything in the score, but its possible to use the Logic midi output instead of a notation program and rout the audio back in.

FUBARd

Logician
You should be able to route this midi w your built in IAC midi driver without an additional 3rd party midi relay like the fore mentioned. I'd think IAC would be quicker and more stable being a function of the OS but IDK...