Logic Pro (X) Logic Pro 10.1 released

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT203718

This is just part of the list of changes, this is a very big update:

New Features
10 new Drummers that produce beats in a variety of electronic and hip hop styles including Techno, House, Trap, Dubstep and more
Drummer provides specialized sound and performance controls for dialing in electronic or hip hop drum grooves
New Drum Machine Designer plug-in for customizing electronic drum kits
Redesigned Compressor plug-in features scalable, Retina-ready interface and 7 models including the new Classic VCA
Retro Synth can now create wavetables from imported audio and is able to stack up to 8 voices
Note Repeat and Spot Erase modes allow classic drum machine style techniques for creating beats in realtime
Automation can now be part of a region, not just the track
Relative and Trim Automation modes extend the options for fine-tuning existing automation
Manage large-scale mixes more easily with the addition of console-style VCA faders in the mixer
Mixer now allows remote control of microphone and other input settings for compatible audio interfaces
Realtime rendering of fades allow them to work with Flex Pitch and speeds up project load times
The Plug-in Manager now allows you to customize the organization of your menu
Support for Mail Drop and AirDrop in OS X Yosemite makes it even easier to share your Logic projects
Expanded sound library includes over 200 new synth patches and 10 Mellotron instruments
The Piano Roll editor now features a Brush tool for creating or deleting a sequence of notes with single mouse gestures
Smart Quantize proportionally corrects the timing and length of notes to preserve the musicality of your original performance
Track Stacks can now be disclosed/undisclosed directly in the Mixer independently of the Tracks area
New Collapse view option in the Piano Roll Editor lets you see more notes in less vertical space
It's now possible to create more than one Drummer track per song
It's now possible to copy and paste voices between different instances of Ultrabeat
There's a new option in the Drummer Editor action menu that allows you to change the drummer without also changing the drum kit
Alternatives can now be exported as fully independent projects
There's now a button in the Main window to automatically set the vertical zoom to the optimal resolution to maximize track height while keeping all tracks visible
A new Region parameter allows the playback speed of Apple Loops to be altered from â…› to 8x the original speed
Command-clicking an enabled mute or solo button un-mutes or un-solos all channels if no track is muted or soloed, and command-clicking a mute or solo button mutes or solos all tracks
There's now a Kill/Recall Solo button in the track header area that toggles the solo state of all currently soloed tracks
The Reset Channel Strip command now works for multiple selected channel strips in the Mixer
Logic now supports the Bravura score font
There's a new key command for enabling/disabling the Flex or Follow Tempo Region parameter
Logic can now import multichannel interleaved audio files and convert them to individual mono files
When bouncing a project, the default name for the bounced file is now the project name
The Piano Roll now includes an option to display drum names instead of note names when working with Drummer tracks, EXS drum kits or Ultrabeat tracks
Time Handles in the Piano Roll allow time stretching/compression on selected notes
It's now possible to adjust the position and borders of regions in the Piano Roll time line
Undo is now available in the Notepad
Undo is now available for Score Set edits
A single click now inserts an EQ into the EQ slot of a channel strip
Logic now supports 50, 5994d, 5994, 60 d and 60 fps frame rates
There's now a Track Protect button for the Movie track
The Repeat Regions/Events key command now duplicates the currently selected region or event without opening a dialog window (the previous behavior for this command is accessed with the new key command Repeat Regions/Events Multiple Times)
Smart Controls mapped to plug-in parameters are now dimmed when the plug-in is bypassed
User created Groove Templates are now available from the Time Quantize menu in the Piano Roll
When dragging objects, the Tooltip now shows both the bar/beat and time position
The Beat Mapping track now offers a Protect Flex Markers option in the Beat Mapping drop-down menu
The Copy command now copies selected markers in the Marker List window as text
When multiple closed Track Stack regions are glued together, Logic now maintains the individual tracks within the stack
The Convert to New Sampler Track sheet includes a new option for creating "˜1 Shot' Zones
Auto backups of Logic projects are now directly accessible from the Quick Looks view
It's now possible to specify up to 100 automatic backups per alternative in a project
Dragging a movie in the Movie Track now moves in increments of one frame and the Option key can be used to position it in smaller increments
When Logic extracts audio from a movie file, it now creates a time-stamped Broadcast Wave file
When a movie is added that is longer than the current project, the project is now automatically lengthened to accommodate it
A region with movie audio sync can now be defined for a movie file
When exporting audio to a movie, Logic now uses the project sample rate
When exporting audio to a movie, the length of the selected regions now determines the overall length of the newly created movie
The contents of the Bounces folder is now excluded when Cleanup Project is used on a folder project
The Clean Up Project dialog now shows the dates previous operations were performed

I've only been using Logic for a couple years but I've often read Logic updates are few and far between? I wonder if Apple plans to update Logic more frequently the way they have been doing with Final Cut.

Upvote 0
I've only been using Logic for a couple years but I've often read Logic updates are few and far between? I wonder if Apple plans to update Logic more frequently the way they have been doing with Final Cut.

Welcome to the LUG Stephen. FWIW, Logic 7 ran through updates from 7.0 to 7.2.3 between 2004 and 2007. Logic 9 went to from 9.0.0 to 9.1.8 between 2009 and 2012, Logic Pro X, released July 2013, went through 10.0 to 10.0.7 within a year, then there was a longer gap until 10.1 was released, but with quite a long list of new features.

The exception was Logic 8, which AFAIR only went to 8.0.2 between 2007 and 2009.

HTH

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
I have spent a couple of hours with 10.1 now and the only thing I don't really get is this:
Note Repeat and Spot Erase modes allow classic drum machine style techniques for creating beats in realtime....

Where is that function ?

Otherwise it's simply a very nice update I find

Upvote 0
I think the most interesting thing about this update is that it requires you to running OSX.9 and above...:huh:
I may be wrong, but I do not recall an update of Logic not being compatible with at least the OS it came out under...
Guess I won't be updating then. :stpp:

Upvote 0

Hi Stephen, Mark is correct in the timeline he presented for Logic's upgrade path.
As one of the only "video" guys on the forum, (I'm a broadcast editor by day,) I can tell you that FCP's constant update path was in direct reaction to how the professional television & movie industries rejected the initial offering of FCPX a few years back.
I won't get into all the gory details, but suffice it to say that it was Apple's worst PR blunder next to reports of Chinese factory workers committing suicide at iPhone factories over working conditions...
Apple had to provide a dramatic & steady stream of updates to the semi-pro & pro editing worlds because the industry generally rejected FCP and went with either Avid or Adobe. Apple lost their street-cred as a viable option for "cool creative types..." -at least in the TV/Film and post-production worlds...

Since all the updates over the last few years, a couple networks have come 'round to using FCP again, but the damage was done. You don't completely burn the pro industry and then expect them to come clammering back to you as Apple did...

I am convinced that the primary reason that Logic X did not become a ridiculously watered down version of Garage-Band Pro was because they didn't want the same PR nightmare to happen with their pro-audio base.
Video guys/girls can be pretty whiny but so can the audio folks... ;)
Apple's restraint with Logic X's improvements and ergonomic changes were logical but not radical. -I still hate the dark look of Logic X, but it's still pretty much the same general lay-out and conceptual design as it always was.
FCPX was (and still is incompatible) with projects made with previous versions of the program without using some 3rd party program to translate.
-And that costs money to do so.
:smashscreen:

Upvote 0
I have spent a couple of hours with 10.1 now and the only thing I don't really get is this:
Note Repeat and Spot Erase modes allow classic drum machine style techniques for creating beats in realtime....

Where is that function ?

Otherwise it's simply a very nice update I find

it's available in the toolbar (right click it to customise and check the appropriate boxes)

Also if anyone has the same issue I had (no additional content available) switching to English for system language solved the issue.

Upvote 0
I think the most interesting thing about this update is that it requires you to running OSX.9 and above...:huh:
I may be wrong, but I do not recall an update of Logic not being compatible with at least the OS it came out under...
Guess I won't be updating then. :stpp:

In the list of features I can only find this one line where it references the latest OS...

"Support for Mail Drop and AirDrop in OS X Yosemite makes it even easier to share your Logic projects"

Could this really be the main reason why Logic users need to be on the latest OS?
There's a whole lot of users who don't jump to every new OS just because Apple tells them too...
I'm not looking to debate whether or not one should upgrade OS, I just find it a bit obnoxious of Apple to push every customer who paid for Logic X to "have to" upgrade their latest OS just to get an upgrade... :eeek:

Upvote 0
../..
There's a whole lot of users who don't jump to every new OS just because Apple tells them too...
I'm not looking to debate whether or not one should upgrade OS, I just find it a bit obnoxious of Apple to push every customer who paid for Logic X to "have to" upgrade their latest OS just to get an upgrade... :eeek:

I understand that but FWIW, I skipped Mavericks and switched to 10.10 today, then applied OSX10.10 tips and tricks to speed up the rendering and disable other aspects I don't care about (like new social features notifications on my DAW machine) and it works great on my imac 2010 :)

I just want to say how much i appreciate this update not only for the numerous new features, but more importantly for the bug fixes too, simply amazing !

I certainly don't regret Notator SL, though I'm sometimes still thinking about it and about the Atari days :D

Thank you Apple, and the Gerhard Lengeling team, the dream continues !

Upvote 0
I've just updated to Yosemite 10.10.2 and Logic 10.1.0 and both reported successful upgrades. But now logic does not recognize my audio interface (Fireface 800) Also the Fireface mixer and FF settings will not boot. Any experiences or suggestions?
I will also send this to the Mac OS forum.
Thanks-Tux// Mac Pro (Early 2008) 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Upvote 0
I've just updated to Yosemite 10.10.2 and Logic 10.1.0 and both reported successful upgrades. But now logic does not recognize my audio interface (Fireface 800) Also the Fireface mixer and FF settings will not boot. Any experiences or suggestions?
I will also send this to the Mac OS forum.
Thanks-Tux// Mac Pro (Early 2008) 2 x 2.8 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon 14 GB 800 MHz DDR2 FB-DIMM

Fireface.... is that RME? I think new drivers are in the works. So you're just going to have to wait or revert back to older versions of everything.

Upvote 0
Somewhere here there was a discussion of 10.1 documentation, or the lack of it. Seems the manual is still at 10.0.0, and all there is for updates is general descriptions of new features.

Is anyone aware of something (other than the on line help files that I find useless) that provides proper documentation of 10.1? Any of those who write 3rd party guides, are there plans for updates?

Upvote 0
Somewhere here there was a discussion of 10.1 documentation, or the lack of it. Seems the manual is still at 10.0.0, and all there is for updates is general descriptions of new features.

Is anyone aware of something (other than the on line help files that I find useless) that provides proper documentation of 10.1? Any of those who write 3rd party guides, are there plans for updates?

You can now find all the updated Logic manuals as free iBooks in the iBook Store.

The online help files aren't that bad, in my opinion....

Upvote 0
OK thanks. I'll have a look at them. My problem with the on line help is they're not searchable in any practical sense. If you don't already pretty much know the answer to your questions, finding it is very difficult. I like the basic PDF open in Preview in background. Low processor load, easy to switch to, and easy to search for stuff. The iBook stuff looks pretty close.

Upvote 0
Fireface.... is that RME? I think new drivers are in the works. So you're just going to have to wait or revert back to older versions of everything.
Been able to find the latest driver and firmware update for the Fireface 800.
Had a hell of a time finding it.
http://www.rme-audio.de/download/driver_fw_mac_324.zip
The download was smooth and delivered both driver and firmware in the one download.
(Fireface.pkg)
Updating was also easy.
Unfortunately the Totalmix FX software has a new user interface and I can't make heads or tails out of the dozens of videos (mostly the previous driver vers.) on Utube.
Well at least my mac pro recognizes the FF800 now if only I can get some audio out of LPX.
No suggestions unwelcomed.
Tux

Upvote 0
Back