Logic Pro X Logic Pro 10.5. released

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
- just became available in the App Store. It looks to have new Sampling features, Sampler and Quick Sampler, a "Live Loops" function, Drum Machine Designer, Step Sequencer, New Content and no doubt much more. As always, before updating make a backup of your current Logic version. I presume Logic Pro 10.5. will require at least Mojave.

Here a list of features:

Live Loops

• Compose music by arranging and triggering cells in a grid using loops, samples and your recordings

• Perform and capture freeform arrangement ideas into the tracks area

• Add Remix FX to perform creative effects like filters, gates, repeaters and bitcrusher

• Use Logic Remote on your iPad or iPhone to perform Live Loops and Remix FX using Multi-Touch gestures to trigger several loops or effects simultaneously

Sampler

• Create and edit sophisticated multi-sampled instruments using a drag-and-drop workflow

• New modern design provides synthesis, mapping and zone editing in a single window interface

• Integrated zone editor offers detailed control over start, end and loop points

• Mapping editor enables fast and flexible assignment of samples across the keyboard

• Flex Time has been integrated into Sampler, allowing sounds to be played at the same length, regardless of pitch

• Auto Sampler automates the process of converting MIDI-enabled hardware and software instruments into Sampler instruments

• Supports all existing EXS24 instruments

Quick Sampler

• Import a single audio file to instantly build a playable sampled instrument

• Quick Sampler automatically identifies the root note and optimal loop points, and matches your project tempo

• Use Slice mode to chop a vocal or drum sample into multiple slices that can be triggered on a keyboard

• Record live samples using a microphone, external hardware, or from any track or bus

Drum Machine Designer

• Use Drum Machine Designer to build custom drum kits by dragging and organising samples

• Directly access Quick Sampler or Drum Synth controls on any pad

• Easily assign any instrument or third-party plug-in to a pad

• Perform any sound chromatically to create bass lines or other melodic parts

Step Sequencer

• Build your own beats, melodies and effect automation using an interface inspired by classic drum machine workflows

• Create and edit patterns with discrete control over velocity, repeat, chance, offset, step rate, skip and tie for each row

• Use any patch as a sound source, including custom kits made with Quick Sampler and Drum Machine Designer

• Includes a library of over 150 rhythmic and melodic patterns

More Content

• Over 2,500 new loops in a variety of instruments and genres covering modern and classic hip-hop, electro house, reggaeton, future bass, techno and transition effects

• 17 Live Loops starter grids covering a range of electronic and hip-hop genres

• More than 70 new Drum Machine Designer kits

• Over 1,500 new patches

• Original multi-track project of Billie Eilish “Ocean Eyes”

Additional Features

• The Drum Synth plug-in generates synthesised kicks, snares, toms and hi-hats with dedicated sound-shaping controls

• Individual or multiple audio files or software instrument regions can be dragged into an empty track header to provide instant options for creating Sampler, Quick Sampler, Drum Machine Designer or Alchemy instruments

• Multiple additional enhancements and stability improvements

kind regards

Mark

Last edited:

bayswater

Logician
Renaming the current version doesn't seem to help. I named it with the version 10.4.8 but the App Store overwrote it with 10.5. Now I have 10.5 named 10.4.8 and don't have 10.4.8

bashville

yah would have been nice to make reverting to the previous version easier, in case of bugs (which I've been finding). For example, pressing "s" to solo/unsolo a region opened up a folder(!) in the track below. Also, you can't enter an empty folder. You have to drag something into it first. Not so interested in the new features, although it might be fun to go through them. But no fun if they break other stuff. Anyway, serves me right for updating on day 1.

bashville

OK so yes fortunately I had made a TM backup just before installing. I was able to restore the previous version of the application, and it opened the files I had just made in the new version. Looking forward to the .x versions!

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
Renaming the current version doesn't seem to help. I named it with the version 10.4.8 but the App Store overwrote it with 10.5. Now I have 10.5 named 10.4.8 and don't have 10.4.8
As always, before updating make a backup of your current Logic version

Did you make a backup of 10.4.8 before updating to 10.5? Simply renaming it would probably not have prevented it being overwritten. You needed to copy it elsewhere aka backup.

kind regards

Mark

Colin Shapiro

Logician
Be warned that people (including myself) are experiencing bugs and crashing with 10.5

If you don't have a Time Machine backup, then do this before updating:
Control-click on Logic Pro X and select [Compress Logic Pro X].
Then you'll have a backup to unzip in case you have problems.

fhildr

Not sure this is the right place to address this, so if not please let me know where I can ask instead.

My computer just auto-updated Logic to the new 10.5 version and suddenly I get zero playback. All the options (that I know of) are set up as usual, and no matter if I record something new, plug in a MIDI keyboard or bring up older projects there is no way to get the sounds to actually play. With my MIDI keyboard, for example, I see that the sounds are recorded but I can't hear it (not through speakers, not through headphones...). Same with mics, where they pick up the sound seemingly fine but I can't hear anything.
If anyone has the same problem and knows how to fix it I'd be very grateful to hear it!

debussyon

Logician
10.5 crashes on some Native Instruments plugs ... I fortunately did not upgrade on my main machine .. I would have called this version Logic DJ LOL

Colin Shapiro

Logician
There is a problem in Logic 10.5 with Spectrasonics plugins - RMX, Omnisphere and Keyscape. Track automation doesn't show in 10.5 and any old projects using track automation will crash.

bayswater

Logician
Backup: It happens every 30 minutes on TM. It never stops. But 10.5 seems fine on my setup -- snappier too. I don't anticipate restoring 10.4.8 any time soon.

debussyon

Logician
There is a problem in Logic 10.5 with Spectrasonics plugins - RMX, Omnisphere and Keyscape. Track automation doesn't show in 10.5 and any old projects using track automation will crash.
Yes I noiticed some of the Native Instruments' plugs also make it crash
MassiveX- CrushPack, Mod Pack, Replika and Replika X which I use alot

Last edited:

fhildr

In keeping true to the whims of Apple, this problem somehow resolved itself without even needing a reboot or reverting to a previous version. I just opened the program again and all was fine
Sorry for the distress call!

Peter Ostry

Administrator
Staff member
I see that the sounds are recorded but I can't hear it (not through speakers, not through headphones...). Same with mics,
System preferences —> Sound —> Microphone
Is Logic listed with an unchecked checkbox?
Then, lower left corner, "Click the lock to make changes" and activate Logic's checkbox in the list.

rainguitar

Logician
I did the upgrade. It seems to be working well, apart from issues with some of the NI plugins (Phasis, Replika X, Massive X). I have heard of issues with some Waves and iZotope plugins but haven't found those yet. It might be helpful if folks posted issues with 3rd party plugins. I had to trash the caches and restart my computer to get the new Logic remote to talk to Logic 10.5. I can't see myself using a lot of the new 10.5 features since I'm not super into electronic music but it's still nice to have those options.

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
A word about issues with some Audio Units: A number of developers, including NI, Spectrasonics, Relab, have acknowledged that there are issues running their AUs in Logic Pro 10.5 and Catalina. My understanding is, as Apple releases new versions of Mac OS pretty much on an annual basis, they do make changes to the frameworks within which 3rd party software operates. These changes are of course made known in advance to developers, in order for them to be able to adapt their software and test in the new MacOS version. AFAIU, changes applying to Catalina where first announced in June 2019. AUs are a bit of a special case. As they run within a host, they are closely linked to the compatibility requirements of the host software - in this case logic 10.5. The previous version, Logic Pro 10.4 was developed using Mac OS 10.13, whereas Logic Pro 10.5 was developed with the requirements of OS 10.14, and 10.15 in mind. Using Logic 10.4 in Mojave or Catalina would not necessarily have exposed potential problems caused by AUs which are now become apparent using Logic 10.5. Apple began seeding developers with test versions of Logic last year in order to give them both the opportunity, and time, to test their products in the new Logic/OS environment. Whether they availed of that or not is of course out of Apples control, furthermore, Apple would not be able to test all of the thousands of Audio Units out there.

In conclusion, in many (perhaps all?) of these cases, it will be up to the developer to provide updates in order to be fully compatible with Logic Pro 10.5 and/or Catalina. Some have already acknowledged that they are working on this. For those Logic users who cannot live with certain AU issues, keeping a copy of 10.4.8 running is probably prudent (see my first post about backing up before updating!). As well as that, contact the developer of the Audio Unit is question and let them know about the issues you are having.

If anyone is wondering where all this comes from, if you understand German: Logic Pro 10.5 veröffentlicht - Seite 8 - logicuser.de

kind regards

Mark

Markdvc

Administrator
Staff member
I should also add, one new thing I personally am delighted with, the three main logic documents are once more available in pdf format:

Logic Pro X User Guide:

Logic Pro X Instruments

Logic Pro X Effects

kind regards

Mark

Fabulowsky

Logician
Logic 10.5 is more awesome than ever, yet I can confirm it is buggy at this time: I am going to log a new bug i just found that annoys me a lot on the screensets, I get intermittently transport windows / or summed windows from other screensets i transitioned to, popping up in my precise layout workflows and I have no workaround than frequently relocking the screenset :-/
Also windows like the transform window that I have in more than one screenset but at different positions is restoring my saved last screenset position always when switching causing bad layouts.
At the beginning I thought it is because of my fairly old setups (ported sometimes from logic on Atari days!), but even when i completely rebuild them it keeps messing my setup after a while....

Last edited: