Logic Pro 8 Logic Pro 8.0.2 and OS X Lion: Compatible?

synthster

Hi all, it's been some 8-10 years since I posted on the LUG - I remember when it was on the yahoo groups...

Anyway, my setup is: Logic pro 8.0.2, tr-rack, jv-1010, jp8000, amt8, genelec 1029s, MOTU 828 mkII.

Yes, the stuff is ancient, but it all works great on OS 10.6.8, so while I would like to upgrade to Lion, I am concerned about any possible incompatibilities from logic or any of the gear with OS X Lion.

First, is there any potential pitfalls between logic 8 and Lion, or any between the AMT8 and/or my MOTU interface and the new OS?

Thanks to all who can help, and I'm glad to be back.

Logic 8 might work (it isn't listed as compatible), but I can tell you this: I own almost every other piece listed and they all work perfect with Logic Pro 9.1.7 on 10.7.3.

Upvote 0
Welcome back to the LUG :)

It is safe to assume that Apple would not have tested Logic 8 with Lion. While it may work (FWIW, Logic 7 runs on Lion here as well) if you are relying on Logic for paying work, it makes a lot of sense to use a supported version, which is Logic 9. There are lots of other reasons to move to logic 9, too numerous to list here. The safe thing to do would be to clone your system, upgrade the clone to Lion and run it for a few weeks.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0
To me, the larger issue is Lion. I use it on the household computers but have stayed with Snow Leopard for Logic 9.1. The reason for my reticence is the way the application support libraries, both User and global, are handled in Lion, which is to say, I can't find them. They seem to have been put on the other side of the GUI. I don't want to deviate from the thread, but I would very much like to know Mark and George's views on that issue. I have felt apprehensive whenever using the utility that let's us tweak Unix and unhide this stuff. I think it's something to consider when migrating to Lion. All you gear may work only to find that you hate having to go into Unix whenever you need access to these libraries.
Sorry if I'm hijacking here....

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I have been attempting to move from a G5 iMac to a core duo Intel iMac. I upgraded and reformatted the Intel iMac with OSX Lion, then attempted to install LogicStudio 8. The following error message was generated: "You can't open the application LogicStudio.mpkg because PowerPC applications are no longer supported". Thus, I suspect Lion doesn't support Logic 8, even though Logic 8 installed and ran fine under Snow Leopard. Groan - upgrade time methinks!

Upvote 0
Logic Pro w/Lion

Logic 8 might work (it isn't listed as compatible), but I can tell you this: I own almost every other piece listed and they all work perfect with Logic Pro 9.1.7 on 10.7.3.

George, I got a quad core beast with over 14 MB RAM (need to update my signature). I also have a Lion Family Pack which I'm using right now, my wife uses it, etc. After I finish mastering a couple of disks, I'm thinking it might be time to go ahead and replace Snow Leopard (last version to date) with Lion.

But, I experimenting here, I find that I cannot see into my personal or higher level application support libraries. In the past, I've needed to do that for one reason or another.

I'm not off topic because if the poster gets a complete upgrade, they need to be aware that AFAIK, accessing application support now needs the user to go into Console and tell unix to cough up the data. Is that still the situation? Can you offer a few thought about that. Hopefully, this is an easy workaround, because I would like all my computers on the same software. It's OCD, and it's real to me. Good to see you still offering up aid and comfort.

Donovan, still in Oxnard

Upvote 0
For what it's worth, I have been attempting to move from a G5 iMac to a core duo Intel iMac. I upgraded and reformatted the Intel iMac with OSX Lion, then attempted to install LogicStudio 8. The following error message was generated: "You can't open the application LogicStudio.mpkg because PowerPC applications are no longer supported". Thus, I suspect Lion doesn't support Logic 8, even though Logic 8 installed and ran fine under Snow Leopard. Groan - upgrade time methinks!

I suspect there was a later version of Logic 8 that would be fine, it is the installer app that is the issue.

Upvote 0
Hi Donavan (again, it's my second answer to you today)...

There is an app called "Lion Tweaks" I got online (it's donation ware) that allows me to reveal my user library folder. If that what you mean? No going into the terminal for me ;-).

Upvote 0
Logic Pro 8.2 and OSX Lion

Hi Donavan (again, it's my second answer to you today)...

There is an app called "Lion Tweaks" I got online (it's donation ware) that allows me to reveal my user library folder. If that what you mean? No going into the terminal for me ;-).

Yep, "Lion Tweaks" sounds like it might bring me up to date without having to "console" around. I will devote time tomorrow to patching up my rig per your suggestion.

Lots to be grateful for--and some barely tolerable physical issues. Thanks for shining a light on these unknown to me paths. Wish I had a budget for mastering this album, but it's DIY, (with a little help from my friends....)

d.

Upvote 0
I have installs of both Logic 8 and Logic 9. Logic 8 runs under 10.4.11 and L9 still under 10.6.8.

I threw out my last cell phone about five years ago. It felt like carrying a purse (not that there's anything wrong with that...), and economically was a waste of money. Maybe I need a few more friends who know where I am every minute, maybe not. Consequently, I have no need for an OS that lets me use cell phone style screen commands that, so far, seems to be Lion's only attribute. RIP Steve Jobs if Lion actually improves the way Logic runs.

Anyway, as far as Lion goes, I don't get the "hiding files" aspect. My son installed it, and although initially annoyed, finally figured out a way to peek at the file tree. But with the latest rants on Logic 9.1.7 (relative to the spinning rainbow cartwheel of doom at startup), I can't see mucking up a good thing.

I felt compelled to chime in, because with both OSX and Win7 64 bit, it seems there should be a one-step, "just give me the fundamental operating system, without all the cute, free, applets, junketts, and memory resident garbage that you think will make people belly up for the latest upgrade crap! OS a la carte, s'il vous plait."

So, you can see I am jaded about "new" operating systems. In the interest of full disclosure, I still use, on occasion, DOS style commands (notably when I am configuring RAID arrays), and am thrilled that OSX still has a console! But I have to dive into Win7 and set my pop-up blockers, cookies, auto-complete, history, etc, etc, ad nauseum so lurkers cannot track my every move while on the web. A little paranoid, but who wants to deal with identity theft? Then, shut off all the "auto-this" and "auto-that" dead weight. I will defrag when I am ready, check for the latest update when I have an issue, clean up my archaic drivers, and friend you, and maybe your cousin, when I feel a bit less harangued.

Have a nice day.

Upvote 0
Back