Logic TDM Logic Pro 9.1 and TDM - The Deafening Silence!!!

Higherground

Logician
Where on earth did TDM compatibility go? I know that in the recent Pro Tools 8.0.3 update Digidesign mentioned that Logic Pro would no longer be supported, but there hasn't been a peep out of Apple on the matter. There's not a single mention in the 9.1 update documentation about TDM, the TDM and DTDM tabs in the Audio Devices prefs have disappeared, and yet on the Logic Pro product page under Compatibility, Apple still bodly claims that, and I quote:

"Logic Pro fully supports Apple Core Audio and Pro Tools HD hardware. That gives you the freedom to work with almost any audio interface, and even combine the inputs and outputs of multiple devices."

and further:

"You can plug in any TDM or Audio Units software instrument or effect."

Excuse me for being ultra picky here, but the Digi CoreAudio driver only accesses 8 channels of I/O on a Digi 192 and you cannot use TDM plug-ins. That's not what I would describe as full support!

I have been thinking about PT on separate Mac for a while, perhaps even a setup à la Media Ventures (getting to feed Logic and Slaves into a separate Pro Tools rig). But running the two rigs side by side is just too complicated, unless you have an army of assistants rejigging sessions on both rigs. Times are more advanced now. For me running Vienna Ensemble on my slave computers has been a great simplification and it is possible now to run everything from a central Logic rig (or one central protools rig).

But also, I am not so keen on a fifth computer in the studio. Indeed perhaps it's time to go back to the Atari. I got rid of my Mega ST a while ago though....

Upvote 0
you can try installing windows virtually on your main mac using vmware, then you use wormhole + midi throu tcp/ip, you will set low latency in wormhole for playing (with glitches) then you set it to higher for playback (with no glitches), i currently use windows for some free windows exclusive plug-ins, using it as effect rack it uses delay compensation, so no latency at all and is sample accurate with most of the plug-ins i've tried. I have installed even an os9 emulator for some old abandonware :)

Upvote 0
Logic and TDM Limits Reached

LogicPro 9.0.2, ProTools 8.0.2, System 10.6.2 - Last working combination. 32 bit of course. If you want to move to 64 bit, as I do, you'll have to move on from Digidesign (as Avid has).

Upvote 0
sorry mate but pro tools 8.0.2 doesn't exists
i guess the only "supported" usable version in Snow Leopard for logic tdm is the 8.0.3 prerelease.
As is a prerelease i don't suggest anyone to upgrade to snow leopard and use logic tdm

Best combination is 8.0.1 + logic 9.1 over osx 10.5.8.. it works just fine.

Upvote 0
LogicPro 9.0.2, ProTools 8.0.2, System 10.6.2 - Last working combination. 32 bit of course. If you want to move to 64 bit, as I do, you'll have to move on from Digidesign (as Avid has).

We've already covered this earlier in the thread... Logic 9.x will not allow TDM under Snow Leopard, no matter what version of Pro Tools you try. Logic 8.x will, but Logic 9.x will not, period.

However, I'm curious as to why Apple are still stubbornly claiming full PT HD compatibility here, maybe there's a fix in the works?

Upvote 0
i guess the only "supported" usable version in Snow Leopard for logic tdm is the 8.0.3 prerelease.
As is a prerelease i don't suggest anyone to upgrade to snow leopard and use logic tdm

I was mistaken about the version of ProTools, but I have Logic 9.0.2 running DAE and DTDM side by side successfully under Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with ProTools 8.0.1. I could go backwards to an earlier system and run Logic 9.1, but what would be the point? Either way, with PT in the chain, I'd be stuck in 32bit.

Upvote 0

I was mistaken about the version of ProTools, but I have Logic 9.0.2 running DAE and DTDM side by side successfully under Snow Leopard 10.6.2 with ProTools 8.0.1. I could go backwards to an earlier system and run Logic 9.1, but what would be the point? Either way, with PT in the chain, I'd be stuck in 32bit.

9.0.2 is too bugged to be usable for me.

even 9.1 is barely acceptable..

Upvote 0
Logic TDM is stalled at Digidesign currently. As one might imagine, this does not rank too high on their priority "to do" list. They intend to fix L9/TDM/Snow Leopard but as to when, who the hell knows.
Fantastic.

osx 10.5.8
don't go to logic 64bit
stay on the 32bit

but no working what you mean? do you still see dae and direct tdm menus in preferences? are you on snow leopard?
i would like to understand this issue

So you're running Pro Tools 8.0.1 on Mac OS 10.5.8? Well, after some further testing, I think I'm going to stand by my original post; TDM compatibility has ceased with Snow Leopard and Logic 9.x and still no mention from Apple!

Upvote 0
Logic TDM is stalled at Digidesign currently. As one might imagine, this does not rank too high on their priority "to do" list. They intend to fix L9/TDM/Snow Leopard but as to when, who the hell knows.
Fantastic.

That's interesting? Where did you hear that they're planning to fix L9/TDM/SN? I'm still curious as to why Apple continue to claim full TDM support at their Logic Studio website: http://www.apple.com/logicstudio/logicpro/

Upvote 0
Logic TDM DTDM Experiences

As far as anyone running Snow Leopard and Pro-Tools 8.0.4 as well as Logic 9.1.1 the only functionality you can get out of the Digidesign hardware is to use it along with the core audio setup in logic as a converter not a interface.
The support for DAE and DTDM is no longer available. Losing the DSP chip processing power and relying on your core CPU for Effects, Plug-ins, Virtual Instruments is a bummer, you will have to go the route of Apogee systems or some other alternative, if you want to take advantage of that with the software versions listed above.

Leopard, plus Pro-tools 8.0.1 with Logic 9 or 8 will give you your TDM, DAE and DTDM functionality back to your setup.

Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
a friend of mine told me that with pro tools 8.0.4 and logic 9.1.1 on 10.5.8 he is still able to run TDM and DTDM, so basically it still works as a mixer, but he is not able to stream Audio from a DAE audio track anymore.

Can anyone confirm this on Snow Leopard aswell ?

Upvote 0
Reply to Tigerman

When you introduce Snow Leopard into the mix 10.6.4, you lose all TDM, DTDM, DAE functionality. I'm running the exact setup you listed below only with Snow Leopard. Logic is forced to run with the Core Audio setup only. I still use my 192 Interface as a A/D/D/A converter though. With enough RAM in your computer (I currently run Mac Pro 2 X 3 Ghz Dual Core Xeon w 8 GB 667 DDR2 FB-DIMM), running bigger sessions is no big deal.

Upvote 0
I think it is perhaps no longer wise to build one's workflow around a system that requires 2 companies to continue to work in good faith to make it work well when they no longer have a financial interest in it doing so.

Upvote 0
Wise words Jay. However, it looks like a lone, determined company can still make it work. MOTU have TDM fully supported in DP7 without any apparent help from Digi/Avid?

Upvote 0
hi all, hi tigerman.
i just install L9.0 and PT8.03 with HD 192 i/o 16 inputs macosx 10.6.6
i saw the TDM menu on the L9 preferences but when i play the session there are no sound coming out.
L9 only gave me the output digidiesign HW. please i need an advise to make this happen. thanks

Upvote 0
Back