Logic Pro 9 Logic Pro 9.1 Update

mmm42

Logician
Logic Pro 9.1 Update
This update delivers improved compatibility and numerous fixes.

Issues addressed include:

Support for 64-bit native mode
Compatibility with 64-bit Audio Unit plug-ins
File names with over 32 characters are now supported
Samples are now mapped correctly when using the "Contiguous Zones" option in the EXS editor
Updated System Requirements

32-bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later
64-bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later
The update is recommended for all users of Logic Pro 9.

For detailed information on this update, including some restrictions when working in 64-bit mode, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2565

Not only does 32bit work better at the moment (ie not feature restricted), it has so many bug fixes (including undocumented ones like: Mackie Control Ch.Select buttons now work when Logic is in the background), that 9.1 is worthy even just in 32bit mode....
Now we wait as plug devs catch up!

Upvote 0
Still nothing for those of us using Logic Express 9. You've got to ask why?

Well, here's my hunch:

Logic Express is a sub-set of Logic Pro. Meaning, first they compile all of their code for Logic Pro, then they compile a subset of that code and call it Logic Express. This is actually a great thing because it means all bug fixes, enhancements, etc. for both applications can be done at the same time. But it means that first they'll release the "full" version (pro) and then work on the "custom compile" for Logic Express.

So my guess is that Logic Express 9.1 update will come along very soon.

Orren

Upvote 0

Well, here's my hunch:

Logic Express is a sub-set of Logic Pro. Meaning, first they compile all of their code for Logic Pro, then they compile a subset of that code and call it Logic Express.

...and it is probably the same team (developers, testers, etc) and they can of course only do one thing at a time, so one product will always be behind the other one.

Upvote 0
So, have the various bugs coming along with "capture last take" been fixed?
I'm just downloading via some incredibly slow hotel WIFI and it probably won't even finish until we have to leave...
Anyway, I'm already happy that there's long filename support. That has been the source of endless nasty events in the past.
And I'm quite happy that there finally seems to be a more regular update schedule between major version jumps.

But they better fixed "capture last take" - IMO one of *the* kickass features of Logic, just that it was entirely broken in 9.0.2.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
So if I'm correct, all included instruments are 64-written as well :)?

You could put it that way. Logic 9.1 is 64 bit, so the included instruments such as the EXS 24 can take advantage of the virtually unlimited memory that a 64 bit App running in Snow Leopard can address.

kind regards

Mark

Upvote 0

Well, here's my hunch:

Logic Express is a sub-set of Logic Pro. Meaning, first they compile all of their code for Logic Pro, then they compile a subset of that code and call it Logic Express. This is actually a great thing because it means all bug fixes, enhancements, etc. for both applications can be done at the same time. But it means that first they'll release the "full" version (pro) and then work on the "custom compile" for Logic Express.

So my guess is that Logic Express 9.1 update will come along very soon.

Orren

Thanks for the reply Orren. That all sounds fair enough to me. Perhaps we'll see an update soon.
Cheers
TB

Upvote 0
Any Digital Performer converts out there?

I'd be happy with the bug fixes without 64bit for my PPC G5 :rolleyes:

Both Logic and Protools have abandoned the PPC platform, while MOTU's Digital Performer continues to support the G5 Power PCs. Let's see, a $395 cross-grade or a $2,500 new Intel Mac Pro...

Upvote 0
But they better fixed "capture last take" - IMO one of *the* kickass features of Logic, just that it was entirely broken in 9.0.2.

- Sascha
I use this all the time but am still relatively new to Logic. What was/is broken with it?

Yeah, I use capture last take all the time too and haven't noticed any specific bugs with it. What's not working properly? The only thing I don't like is that if the cycle is on, it will create a region the length of the entire cycle. But it's been like that for ages.

Also - yeah my 9.1 updater also left my 9.02 version intact. That's a nice touch. I had zipped 9.02 prior to updating, but trashed it when I saw the original remained unchanged.

Upvote 0
Ok, "capture last take" is still entirely broken in cycle mode.
What I use(d) to do all the time when, say, creating beats:
- Set up a cycle.
- Play along until I'm happy.
- Press CLT command.
- Perhaps quantize the recorded part.
- Create a new track using the same object and continue with another part of the drum/percussion instrument.
- Eventually merge everything together into one region.

Now, here's how CLT gets in the way since L9.0.2:
- It always creates a take folder even if you deactivated the take folder feature for MIDI recordings. This, clearly, is a bug as CLT *is* a MIDI recording.
- Unlike with earlier Logic versions, the created part isn't selected anymore, so pressing "quantize", "loop" or whatever you desire requires an extra selection step.
- Take folder regions can't be merged, so before doing so, you need to flatten all the created take folders.

All this leads to CLT being a much more time consuming and a way less elegant technique than what it was before.

I have reported these bugs (and misconceptions) in great detail to Apple as soon as 9.0.2 came out.

Seriously, this is rendering one of my most used techniques in Logic close to unuseable. I used CLT to save massive amounts of time when doing things such as described above, now I have to click around all the time when using it. Pretty sad, especially given that all of it is based on a bug (the creation of take folders, regardless of your MIDI recording preferences) which should be relatively easy to adress.

- Sascha

Upvote 0
Hi Sascha,

Those do sound like serious problems. I guess I haven't used capture last take in cycle mode recently, and so hadn't noticed them.

Upvote 0
Both Logic and Protools have abandoned the PPC platform, while MOTU's Digital Performer continues to support the G5 Power PCs. Let's see, a $395 cross-grade or a $2,500 new Intel Mac Pro...

MOTU will also abandon PPC.

But if Digital Performer which is (temporarily) PPC compatible appeals to you more than Logic8 and the prospect of a future Logic9/10/11 etc. on IntelMac, then go for it.

Upvote 0
Back