Logic Pro 9 Logic Pro 9.1 Update

mmm42

Logician
Logic Pro 9.1 Update
This update delivers improved compatibility and numerous fixes.

Issues addressed include:

Support for 64-bit native mode
Compatibility with 64-bit Audio Unit plug-ins
File names with over 32 characters are now supported
Samples are now mapped correctly when using the "Contiguous Zones" option in the EXS editor
Updated System Requirements

32-bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.5.7 or later
64-bit mode requires Mac OS X 10.6.2 or later
The update is recommended for all users of Logic Pro 9.

For detailed information on this update, including some restrictions when working in 64-bit mode, please visit this website: http://support.apple.com/kb/ts2565

In 32 bit mode, when I double click on an audio region to open up the sample editor, Logic freezes up and quits. I've tried this on one song originally made in Logic 9 and one originally made from my old trusted template from Logic 8 (or earlier?). Same results.

Can't reproduce this. Doubleclicked audio regions open fine (and fast) in the sample editor. MB 2.4GHz, 10.6.2 here (32bit).

Thanks Sascha for your attempt at reproducing this.
I found that after I went into 64 bit mode then back to 32 bit mode all is good as far as double clicking on audio regions goes. Strange temporary bug I guess. Love to explore 9.1 more but 2am is getting pretty sleepy here in tokyo. Sorry to cause alarm, but for those who might experience similar initial audio region clicking problems:

Change to 64 bit then back again to 32 bit. Worked for me!

-Eric

Upvote 0
So what they have done is to change CLT from capturing just the last "loop" to capturing everything that was played in between hitting start and stop and then creating a take folder. It makes sense when you think about it but may throw you if you got used to the old way.

This is obviously not a bug and should not be reported as such.

What should be done to alleviate the pain of people who are used to the old way is to give the user a preference to capture last loop or capture all.

You probably know this but it only creates a take folder when you have selected one of the merge preferences in the song recording settings, so if you prefer to deal with multiple tracks instead of a take folder, that option is there.

Cheers,
Tom

Upvote 0
This is obviously not a bug and should not be reported as such.

I think it *is* a bug. In case I have my MIDI recording preferences set to not create take folders, CLT should be included, as it is a MIDI recording. As easy as that.
I do agree that occasionally it might be a nice feature to capture all the cycles you've played - but still, this should be optional. As is, the previous behaviour of CLT is not available anymore at all, and that's a major downfall for me (and for some others, as it seems).

Seriously, it seems as if I (and perhaps some others) are creating too much of a fuzz about this issue, but when you think about it as, hmmm, let's say a "vital" feature of your Logic workflow, it's not too much fuzz but a severe change. Instead of using a single KC, I do now need to click/select a lot more. That can't be considered an improvement. Not at all.
Obviously, YMMV, but still, why would you abandon a feature quite some of your users loved, without offering any proper alternative?

- Sascha

Upvote 0
No Sascha, no matter how much you insist, by definition it is not a bug. It is a change in the way that feature works.

It all depends on how you define last take. Is it the last time a cycle looped, or is it the time between when play was activated and then stopped?

I agree that Apple have been changing too many things (that had become a part of peoples' workflow) without giving you the option to maintain the previous behaviour. I really wish they would give people the options since it can't be that hard.

I am all for petitioning Apple in this regard, but let's not get hot under the collar and use inappropriate terms to vent our frustrations. Constructive criticism and suggestions of solutions will go a lot further than whinging.

Tom

Upvote 0
I don't care what you call it... It shouldn't have changed! It's called Capture As recording these days... so i guess that's how it's justified, but it doesn't work here as others have described it.
I don't get a take folder and all the captured loops are active (not muted as with normal recording)
It all depends on how you define the last take in cycle record, as you say Tom, but it's bloody annoying that it's changed from what it was before.

Upvote 0
It is clear that this feature needs its own settings in the preferences separate from the midi recording settings. There you should be able to specify whether the command captures the last cycle loop or everything. If it is set to capture everything then it should follow the midi recording settings (ie create folder, create folders with mute, merge etc).

To give you a different perspective:
I have often been frustrated with the CLT feature because if you don't stop the sequencer before it loops back to the beginning you're stuffed and what you just played (so nicely) is gone. So I prefer it the way it is now, however, I am very much in favour of giving people the option as I have been saying all along.

By the way you will get a take folder if you select any of the merge options in the midi recording settings. This will then mute all but the last cycle. But if you chose to create folders then, yes, they will all play at once and not be muted bar the last. In this case Logic should apply the midi recording options instead.

Tom

Upvote 0
To give you a different perspective:
I have often been frustrated with the CLT feature because if you don't stop the sequencer before it loops back to the beginning you're stuffed and what you just played (so nicely) is gone. So I prefer it the way it is now, however, I am very much in favour of giving people the option as I have been saying all along.

By the way you will get a take folder if you select any of the merge options in the midi recording settings. This will then mute all but the last cycle. But if you chose to create folders then, yes, they will all play at once and not be muted bar the last. In this case Logic should apply the midi recording options instead.

Tom[/QUOTE]

As long as you don't play a note or move a controller after the new cycle starts you won't lose anything prior.

As far as the take folder is concerned.. that's the point I was trying to make... It's not working like that on my system, regardless of the merge settings etc.

Upvote 0
Yes, but if you hold on to that last note just a fraction too long... puff... all gone. And sometimes you play in something syncopated or not in complete sync with the loop points. For all these occasions I am much happier that I don't lose what I played. Of course we could have the best of both worlds.

I might actually enjoy the take folders for midi if you could swipe like the audio ones. But the way they are currently working it means having to unpack etc and this is more tedious than having Logic create tracks in the first place.

I'm not sure I understood your last sentence. Are you referring to the tracks not muting?

Upvote 0
Yes, but if you hold on to that last note just a fraction too long... puff... all gone.

yes that's why i get used to play while not in loop and use markers to go back, and that's why i haven't noticed the clt changes..
fr me it's an improvement.. i prefer doing some more click but be sure i do not lose my last take if i play again after the cycle jump.

btw i can understand that an option to let us choose wich one to use will make everyone happy.

Upvote 0
Thing is (as has been said), there should be a preference how CLT is supposed to behave (alternatively, it should follow your general MIDI recording preferences). As is, my old way of working with MIDI recordings is not exactly viable anymore. Too many clicks required. And while I certainly see the shortcomings of the old CLT behaviour (such as losing everything once you hold a note over a cycle jump, such as not being able to play pickups, etc.), it defenitely had its merits, too.

In addition, Apple could easily give us the best of both worlds without any preferences or so. There's just two things that'd be required:

1) The captured region must be selected (so you can instantly quantize, loop, whatever it). Just as with any recording. Just as with CLT in no-cycle-mode. In fact, while the new CLT behaviour could be considered a "feature" rather than a bug, Logic not selecting the region you just recorded/captured must be seen as a bug.

2) MIDI take folders should be "merge-able". When merging them, they'd automatically be flattened before, so only the "active" portion would be used. Unlike with audio, for MIDI this should be an easy deal.

-> BLAM, there we go! Best of both worlds, really. And in fact a lot better than either the old or the new behaviour, better than a preference, too.

As is, some people are losing a long loved functionality. That's no good.

Fwiw, this reminds me a bit of the situation regarding the floating extended parameter box. That option was removed in L8 but it came back with L9, probably because enough people (including myself) were complaining about it (for very good reasons, of course). So, all us CLT lovers should probably request the above mentioned features from Apple. I already did. Should be easy to realize for the programmers (especially #1).

- Sascha

Upvote 0
Here's another one, something various people have been plagued with since ages already: Logic very often doesn't create waveform overviews in the arrange. There seems to be no "rule" behind what's triggering this, and I for myself have only experienced this randomly and seldom, too. Not so with 9.1. On my system, it absolutely *never* creates waveform overviews, so I have to force it in the sample editor - separately, for each and every recorded file.
9.0.2 is doing the job fine, so is 8.0.2.
In all honesty, I find this to be as unprofessional as it gets. As said, this problem exists since many years already and I guess everybody will also know that Logic is occasionally (and for absolutely no reason) recreating waveform overviews when reloading certain songs.
I have never seen an essential feature such as this to not work reliably in any other serious sequencer and it's defenitely about time someone at Apple starts to take this serious and do something about it. Again as said, this is an *extremely* wellknown problem, and at least on my system, things have gotten way way worse with 9.1.

- Sascha

Edit: Fwiw, I have just moved quite some stuff from the internal drive, repaired permissions and so on - all to no avail, 9.1. doesn't display a single waveform after a recording. Perhaps this is rendering it useless for me.

Upvote 0
Back