Logic Pro 9 Logic Pro 9 first impressions

Hi Luggers.

Got the upgrade last night, and have spent about 5 hours today working with Logic Pro 9. Here are my first thoughts/observations:

No PDF manual. The Zoom key commands have changed yet again, 3d time now. Still crazy about the behavior thing with regions not selecting the track or editor when selected. The window focus is still a bad thing for me, BUT they have placed a white line around the focused editor, a better way to have it that I'd prefer, but workable now.

The bounce in place is very cool, but found that it didn't properly bounce every time, so I'll have to be careful to check every bounce before I change anything on the source track.

Flex time is pretty neat. I used it for getting my sloppy guitar tracks tighter, and I was playing with the demo session, changing the vocals phrasing. Some people are really going to love this one.

Looks the same more or less, has the same "vibe" as 8 does.

I used it while working on 2 songs I have been working on this last week, and was able to use it no problems.

I know there are a few additional things (new patch libraries for the plug-ins, the compressor patches being very cool) that I haven't come across, but without the manual, I am going to have to "come across them" while working, and read the html manual. I did try and use the HTML manual after copying it from the app contents, but it seems to be copy protected some way, and won't view, so I wasn't able to turn it into a pdf for reading outside of Logic.

There are no hard manuals, other than an installed manual, a Logic Pro beginner manual (which is pretty good for Logic newbies) and a Mainstage 2 manual, which I haven't gone through yet.

So far, I'd give it a 8/10. I would have liked to see a few things reverted back to the way Logic 7 worked, maybe a few new plug-ins, and the bounce in place not working thing: it seems that that would be a pretty big bug in my opinion, I'm not sure how it got by Apple, but I do know the pool of testers is smaller that in the EMagic days, so who knows.

It took about 45 minutes to install the basic apps, and the extra apple loops I didn't have, on a Mac Pro (I don't need the surround reverb impulsed or the 22 gigs of music tracks). My Mac Book Pro took about 1.5 hours for the same content. This is a huge improvement to the Logic Studio 8 installation.

So... anyone else have it, and what do you think about it?

George Leger III

And they just updated it the other day so you can download them as PDF files. Just look under the book title in the right hand pane and you will see the PDF link.

Cool :)

Upvote 0
Hooray for the PDF manuals, but there is no What's New document about the smaller changes upgrading from 8. I am finding a number of tiny things making the sum of the parts a good step up from 8. For example, muting track in fast response mode really is fast now - it used to take 3 or 4 seconds to kick in for LP8. And tiny, easy to implement but oh so nice is the custom colour background of the arrange window. For something that you look at all day, having a change from gray or grayer is nice.

No real interest in Flex or the amp models yet, I'm having fun building a new template from scratch and finding the good things along the way.

B

Upvote 0
Back