Logic Pro 9 Logic Pro 9 (Logic Studio 2) on Sierra 10.12.6

southpalace

Hi All... I have just joined this group after hours of desperation with Mac and OS. Not the first time, but coming up to the last time methinks. I guess I am a bit of a dinosaur in terms of hardware and software. I fell victim to Apples' update strategy years ago, forcing users to upgrade perfectly good and working apps for no reason but to extract more cash with no effort from Apple. For years I have resisted updates. My motto is "if it isn't broken, don't fix it". I am guessing I am not alone.
Anyways, I run a 2008 Powermac desktop with 2x2.8 Quadcore Intel Xeon + 32 GB RAM and OSX 10.9.5. For years I had 10.6.8 but was forced to update OSX to 10.9.5 just so I could use a tablet (video work) that my daughter bought me. Fortunately, 10.9.5 runs Logic Pro 9.1.8 more than OK and everything works fine.
I have just inherited my daughter's imac 2013 with 3.1 Intel core i7 and 16GB RAM.
I am trying to install my Logic Pro 9 onto this Sierra 10.12.6 iMac. After purposely buying an external DVD drive for the iMac, the Install DVD works OK but after the initial 50/60 minutes installing, it asks for "Insert Audio Contents 1"; it will read Audio 1 for 10 seconds then ask for Install DVD again, then will quit, saying it cannot find the software.
This has happened 3 times now, each time taking around 50/60 minutes to get to this stage.
Has anybody else tried this or has had trouble ? It smells to me very much of "conflict-itis" and although I used to be OK with the older stuff I have no clue of possible roads to try ? Anybody point me in the right direction please ?

Sierra/Logic 9 user here, Willnubu is correct.

I converted all the DVDs to disk images and mounted them all simultaneously, then once you run the installer it shouldn't ask you to insert the next disk, and just proceed through them all as they're already mounted anyway.

This does use up about 50GB of disk space before anything is installed, but you can just delete them after you're finished.

You might encounter an error right at the end of the installation saying it failed, but in my experience it's been successful anyway. I read a while ago the error is triggered by Sierra simply failing to log the software installation in some text file hidden deep in some system folders.

Someone else here can probably correct me on that, but you should be good to go anyway. :thmbup:

Upvote 0
I must admit while it is fully functional, it's quite prone to crashes when scrolling too vigorously through arrangements.

Easily remedied by frequent saves or loading backups created after crashes, but yeah I imagine this would be a deal-breaker for the vast majority of users.

LPX 10.4.4 is the last compatible version for Sierra, if that becomes the case.

Upvote 0
Hi Everybody. Many many thanks for your comments. They really are much appreciated. Sadly, I get only weekends to attend to this kind of stuff, and reading your comments I think that despite the bugs of LP9 working on Sierra, I still have to give it a go. I tried imaging a total of 7 separate disks onto my Desktop and running the installation but it failed, probably because I imaged them wrong or not simultaneously as larold_n did. I haven't a clue how to do that. Please can anybody point me in the right direction ?

Upvote 0
I never tried installing Logic 9 on sierra, but here’s a way of making a .dmg file from a disc.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
Instead of Mac OS X Install DVD, it would be the Logic Studio disc

Upvote 0
Back